IDTA Ballet Awards

ArucariaBallerina

Before class today my teacher took me out of the studio and told me that my ballet examiner back in April had rung earlier nominating me for the IDTA ballet awards?? Along with 2 of my friends? Even my teacher has no idea what this is/means, so would love if anybody could shed even a small light on it?

I'm very very happy! Honestly, this year gets better and better :) 

• Like 7

I was nominated years back for the IDTA modern awards not sure how the ballet awards differs.. but we took part in a class with all the other nominees then we each performed a 30second solo then the awards were dished out. Everyone got a certificate, all in all it was a nice day out!

• Like 1

Dd has been nominated for ballet, tap and modern over the past couple of years. As I understand it, if you score 90+ the examiner may (but doesn’t have to) nominate you to attend the awards. Each section is basically half a day at The Royal College of Music in Manchester. The section is split into 2 - ‘grades’ is for those nominated for grades 4-6, and ‘performers’ is for those nominated for intermediate and advanced. There are about 80-100 dancers in each half-section. You do an hour long class on stage, which family/friends can buy tickets to watch. Then everyone performs the sequence that has been taught in groups of about 3. There is then a cut, with about 20 dancers making the final. They then have a bit more of a class and perform again. Ultimately there is a winner, runner up, and 5 or 6 ‘special commendations’. The classes are excellent and led by ‘famous names’. The tap was Jo Scanlon (of Tap Attack), can’t remember the others tbh, but they were very good! It is a great experience, I would thoroughly recommend it. Good preparation for upper school auditions too :) 

I should add that it is considered quite an honour to be nominated. The standard at the awards is very high. Congratulations! 

Edited by BlueLou
Additional information!
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

Before class today my teacher took me out of the studio and told me that my ballet examiner back in April had rung earlier nominating me for the IDTA ballet awards?? Along with 2 of my friends? Even my teacher has no idea what this is/means, so would love if anybody could shed even a small light on it?

I'm very very happy! Honestly, this year gets better and better :) 

Well done you, that is fantastic xxx

Great news AB! I've no personal experience as my DD did different syllabi but she has a few friends who have been to the IDTA awards and they all really enjoyed it. Things are really picking up for you this year aren't they - well done!