Kings International ballet academy

On 30/06/2019 at 13:35, Minoblade said:

Does anyone have any feedback on KIBA? Purple M how has your dd found it? Is she happy? 

Please see my comments below. If you have any questions , please feel free to ask.  My daughter has thoroughly enjoyed the vocational course and has taught the pre-vocational classes as teaching practice for the diploma. The show used all pupils together as one unit for a number of dances, classical repertoire and jazz and singing ,with other solo, duet and trio and group work. It was a lovely mix.

My daughter who has six years of professional ballet school behind her is really happy with her progress, the teaching, the range of the disciplines which is broader than her old school and yet still leaning to strong classical ballet teaching, and the general atmosphere. My daughter though of English roots has never lived in England but this area is calm, friendly and close-knit. so she feels safe and integrated into the community.  She is astute and knowledgeable having worked with many strong internationally recognized teachers and have attended classes with Prix de Lausanne competitors, Varna and other world class competition winners, so when she tells us that she is happy with the level and her output, we are happy.

She and 4 more of the school are currently in Italy at Longiano in Dance, a very intensive high level summer school and they compete internationally. This December the school will be supporting a semi-professional performance of the Nutcracker in Brecon.  So the challenges are varied.

She had completed the GCSE stage in our country last year so we moved her after that stage.  She was the youngest to start at 15 years old. She is studying A levels with the private tutoring service recommended by the school and this is going well. One to one tuition ...excellent. She lives with a host family because of her age and us being abroad. It was the most sensible solution and has worked really well. Other are sharing flats in Barwell or East Shilton. Buses are frequent and other transport links are excellent, including flights for us.

If you have any  specific questions I would be happy to answer them

• Like 1
On 07/06/2018 at 17:44, shygirlsmum said:

One of the directors has taught at midlands and dd loved the classes.  Unfortunately, I cannot add any more than that.

One of the directors still teaches at Midland and had substantial experience abroad before returning to the UK. The rest of the team are hardworking professionals with a variety of posts in a number of well respected institutions, so the depth and breadth of teaching is wide and keen. Teaching is very much geared to the individual requirements of the pupils basedon their previous level. Results are profound and fast. The atmosphere is happy and constructive and the pupils are happy, but the vocational schedule is not for the faint-hearted .It is good practice for a professional career. The external examiners were impressed with the first exam results. 

The pre-vocational Saturday students shared the stage with the full-timers and worked in unison in several set pieces  in the end of year show. It was a happy and well balanced performance and strong technical performances were produced with artistic flare and great progress was evident in some since I last saw some pupils dance last summer on the intensive in Rugby and in competition in the autumn.Others I had never seen before so I could not comment on progress but their parents were pleased.

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, shygirlsmum said:

I’m looking at year 12 options for my DD, does anyone know if kings qualifies for student funding?  I’m not in a position to self fund and struggling to find any info.

As far as I am aware they operate as a private college and they don’t offer qualifications that are eligible for government funding such as DADA or Student Finance so I would assume the only funding available is internal scholarships (if they offer them). 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, shygirlsmum said:

I’m looking at year 12 options for my DD, does anyone know if kings qualifies for student funding?  I’m not in a position to self fund and struggling to find any info.

I think the only U.K. schools that offer BA courses with student funding are Central, Rambert and Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.  There may be others, I’m not sure, but these are the popular choices at our dance studio.

Edited by Anna C
Edited by Moderator

On 29/12/2019 at 19:13, Picturesinthefirelight said:

As far as I am aware they operate as a private college and they don’t offer qualifications that are eligible for government funding such as DADA or Student Finance so I would assume the only funding available is internal scholarships (if they offer them). 

This is correct. The course structure is such that the qualifications offered are not eligible (yet?) for subsidised funding from DADA or other, but they do have a scholarship fund for both  young men or young ladies . Course fees are less than some similar courses from what I have gleaned on this forum and other sources . It is still early days but a promising start. 

• 1 year later...

I don’t have a child studying there , but my daughter attended the summer school and said the training was absolutely brilliant and she came on a lot just in the short space of a week . We also know a couple of current students who have just gone from strength to strength . Hope this helps .

• Like 1
  • alison changed the title to Kings International ballet academy

My daughter started last September their associate programme and it is fantastic. She also attends another associate school however she seems to enjoy more & make greater progress with Kings. 6 hrs on Saturdays is extremely beneficial to their development. Teachers are lovely and very supportive.

• Like 1

My daughter is in her second year at Kings and we are so pleased that we accepted her place here rather than a bigger school. All the teaching staff are excellent and really encouraging.  We have also been impressed with their online teaching during this pandemic. 

• Like 1