Australian Ballet in France, 2019

The annual summer dance festival in Paris, Les Etes de la danse, which has traditionally only invited companies from the Americas, has announced that the companies next year will be the Australian Ballet and Hong Kong Ballet. The festival is held at the end of June and early July. The venue will be La Seine de la Danse, which is hosting the festival for the first time this year (Robbins festival with multiple companies and Pacific North West).

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up, Sheila.  I will definitely drop in .... and I will see you at the end of the month at the Robbins Featival.  With this kind of notice ... it's possible for me to set up work projects in happy tandem (and still be back in London for all of the '19 Bolshoi run at the ROH vis a vis next year)  - and I always have one or two programmes I need to do in Paris each year.  This kind of advance notice is HUGELY appreciated believe you me.  Bless you for this and ALL.  See you soon, my friend  I'll probably also see you at the POB Robbins programme which I booked three performances for when general booking opened this morning.  :)   That's probably the only POB programme I will see in the 2018/19 season as it is otherwise not of huge interest - certainly in terms of the new work.  Still I will see POB dancers who take part in the Balanchine programmes in the 75th anniversary programme for City Center in NY (thanks too to someone who posted here I was able to set up a programme in NYC for that time) - and that also has dancers from NYCB, MCB, RB and the Mariinsky.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

3 hours ago, toursenlair said:

does anyone have more specific dates and rep?

Don't have exact dates, Katherine -- but the guideline I go by is the fact that it always seems to be within the last week of June and and the first two weeks of July that their events take place ... but then I'm sure you know that.  No news of rep of course.  Perhaps you could send a PM to Sheila and ask for her reference.  They might know.  

• 2 weeks later...

Given that the company only officially announced its October 2018 tour to China a few days ago, and given previous experience, the official Paris visit announcement won't come at the earliest until some time in September when the 2019 programme is announced. China gets the McAllister Sleeping Beauty (about to be performed in Adelaide) and the Maina Gielgud Giselle (in Melbourne in September). Please God this time could they leave the Murphy Swan Lake at home. I think they would be best served by taking a mixed bill of recent local commissions that won't have been seen anywhere else, and a full-length possibly the McAllister Beauty or the Baynes Swan Lake - no Murphy swans please!

Having watched (OK, listened to while doing other stuff) the full video announcement of 2018/19 from La Seine Musicale, the venue, and suffered through the presenter's not terribly funny jokes (not even the audience in the hall was laughing), there was nothing mentioned other than the bare facts that the 2019 guests will be Australian Ballet and Hong Kong Ballet. Further announcements later in the year, they said.

In the latest email I've had from La Seine Musicale I note that a Mozart festival is planned for 20-30 June next year. Normally the dance festival starts towards the end of June. This year the festival is shorter than usual but it would be odd if the dates were confined to July when Parisians depart for their summer holidays. I've not been able to track the announcement to which Sophoife refers, otherwise I was beginning to wonder if the festival would have a different venue next year. This year's festival starts on Monday, so perhaps those of us able to attend will glean better information then.

15 hours ago, SheilaC said:

In the latest email I've had from La Seine Musicale I note that a Mozart festival is planned for 20-30 June next year. Normally the dance festival starts towards the end of June. This year the festival is shorter than usual but it would be odd if the dates were confined to July when Parisians depart for their summer holidays. I've not been able to track the announcement to which Sophoife refers, otherwise I was beginning to wonder if the festival would have a different venue next year. This year's festival starts on Monday, so perhaps those of us able to attend will glean better information then.

Hi Sheila, the announcement to which I referred is on La Seine Musicale's Facebook page, it's an hour and 25 minutes or thereabouts of video originally broadcast live. I must thank the French ballet tweeter who drew it to my attention! Unlike this year with the Robbins theme then the PNB stand-alone visit, no mention was made of any theme for 2019 Etés de la Danse. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the Les Etes de la Danse printed programme for this year's Robbins Festival/PNB presentations (which the lovely Sheila C kindly showed me last night) (i) the Australian Ballet is listed for 2019 (which may well mean that the Hong Kong Ballet stint had not been finalised at the time the programme went to print) AND it also announces (ii) that the two companies being featured in 2020 will be (i) ENGLISH NATIONAL BALLET and DUTCH NATIONAL BALLET.  It suggests too that - although they are are still in partnership with the Chatelet - that the presentations will continue to be presented at Le Seine Musicale. 

So wonderful for ENB to have another opportunity for significant exposure in Paris.  The last one (Le Corsaire at the Palais Garnier but a few short years ago) is remembered very fondly in Paris.  It's also grand that the fine ENB Company dancers will be given this kind of exposure in a (traditionally) balletic stronghold.  The appearance last night of the extraordinary DYLAN WALD - in the male lead of PNB's stunning rendering of Robbins' mysteriously majestical Opus 19/The Dreamer - is the kind of occasion that career legends are made of.  His will / or should IMHO become a name to reckon with in the future.  There is no doubt of that in my mind nor that PNB's thrilling ensemble performance was head and shoulders above that of the other two presenting companies on that particular occasion.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

• 3 months later...

Just wanted to drop a link to the insightful Guggenheim programme that the ever wonderful Peter Boal did on 'Robbins' Male Solos' on 2nd and 3rd October.  It features Dylan Wald among the mix and will, therefore, give BcoF members a chance to take a peek at this very talented young man:

• Like 1

• 3 months later...