It's Goodbye from me

Huddsballetmum

The dancing journey has finally come to an end after 16 years and my DD is off to uni to study law not dance.  Her dreams have changed and she wants to be a Barrister rather than a dancer (think the wages had something to do with it), though her love affair with dance will always continue.

The last 16 years have been a rollercoaster and as a single full time working mum. a challenge, but I wouldn't have missed it for the world.  I will probably cry buckets at her last performance on 23rd June (her 18th birthday by the way) but her life is her choice and she has enjoyed every minute of her relationship with dance.

I just want to say thank you for all the support, encouragement and advice that you wonderful people have given over the last few years.  This is a fabulous forum particularly for those mum's who have no idea when they start the journey (I still don't do hair!!) 

To new mums who are starting the journey and need some help I give the following advice

1. There is no such thing as a silly question - at some point we have all asked them

2. Buy hair pins in bulk and maybe a spare hoover

3. Ignore the pushy mums and look for the nice ones - there are lots about and you will make some of the best friends you can have through dance

4. Accept that you will spend your life in the car

5. Accept that you will never have any money

6. Learn to do hair - or befriend a ballet mum who can ( I failed miserably on both counts)

7. Enjoy the ride! 

Au Revoir   😊

• Like 29

Aw, Huddsballetmum, we'll be sorry to see you go :(.  Do keep in touch and let us know how things go: experienced dance parents can be such a benefit to others who are less far along on the journey.

• Like 7

Wishing you and your dd all the best for law degree. My youngest dd settled for a drama degree and loved it but a couple of years ago when we saw the Moscow City Ballet in Nottingham, she said quietly to me “I do wish I had been good enough to be a professional dancer”. 😞

• Like 3

Thank you forvyour advice and good luck to your DD. My non dancing daughter has finished her degree and has enjoyed her uni experience so much. If your daughter's interest is Law she will really enjoy her degree. My daughter studied Creative writing and Literature and lovedevery minute xx

• Like 2

Thanks for all the lovely messages and good wishes.  I will log in from time to time to see how everyone is doing.  I hope that all your dancing children will achieve wonderful things, but that most importantly they love dance.  Take care all

• Like 4

On 04/06/2018 at 13:44, Huddsballetmum said:

DD is off to uni to study law not dance.

Many thanks to Nicola H for alerting me to this thread. I had not been following it.

I wish your daughter every success with her studies. I hope she will still manage to enjoy the occasional class or performance as I have for the last 41 years.  She may well find that the bar and barre have a lot in common even though they do not have much to do with each other.

Long before I subscribed to this website I wrote this little article which may amuse you,

If your daughter wants any recommendations, warnings, introductions or a second opinion, you know where to get me.

• Like 5

On 08/06/2018 at 19:35, Terpsichore said:

Many thanks to Nicola H for alerting me to this thread. I had not been following it.

I wish your daughter every success with her studies. I hope she will still manage to enjoy the occasional class or performance as I have for the last 41 years.  She may well find that the bar and barre have a lot in common even though they do not have much to do with each other.

Long before I subscribed to this website I wrote this little article which may amuse you,

If your daughter wants any recommendations, warnings, introductions or a second opinion, you know where to get me.

Loved the article and have to say I have always thought that the performance element would stand dd in good stead in the court room.  She was told by a barrister she was shadowing last year - it's all about the performance.  

Thank you for your kind offer  of assistance.  I'm sure you will hear from my dd in the future.

• Like 1

Good luck and I hope your daughter enjoys university. My DD is in her second year of a geophysics degree at Durham and is really enjoying her time there because she is still dancing. First year she just joined the ballet dance team who compete against other universities while this year she has also joined the Ballet Company who do 1 production a year - maybe this is something that may be avalable at your daughters university?  My DD says the outlet to still dance provides a big relief from the high work  pressures on her course and she wouldn't do as well without it.

• Like 5

Wow. It's out of a fire and into another. I'm a barrister and new to this ballet mum business. And quite frankly I prefer 15 days in court getting battered by the judge, client, opponents rather than having to make sure daughter is in the right colour leotard or the right way round or have enough pins with her or watching her compete in festivals.

It's a long arduous process getting to the Bar and the rejections will come thick and fast. But persist and your daughter will find a rewarding career and profession (not necessarily well paid if in legal aid criminal or family work).

Anyways, best of luck.

Edited by HopelessMummy
Grammar!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, HopelessMummy said:

Wow. It's out of a fire and into another. I'm a barrister and new to this ballet mum business. And quite frankly I prefer 15 days in court getting battered by the judge, client, opponents rather than having to make sure daughter is in the right colour leotard or the right way round or have enough pins with her or watching her compete in festivals.

It's a long arduous process getting to the Bar and the rejections will come thick and fast. But persist and your daughter will find a rewarding career and profession (not necessarily well paid if in legal aid criminal or family work).

Anyways, best of luck.

Loved reading this – indeed every career path has its 'trials' (sorry!). We are off to a competition tomorrow (only two more to go after this and we're done) and I tiptoe around DD the whole time as she finds being on stage by herself traumatic and literally shakes with nerves. This makes her pointe solos even harder!

11 hours ago, HopelessMummy said:

Anyways, best of luck.

Thanks HopelessMummy.  I knew the dance world would set her up for her new career - all dancers have to be used to rejections and be resilient.  She know's the area that she's interested in isn't going to make her millions, but it is better paid than a short lived dance career.  I'll pop in from time to time and keep everyone updated on the Non Dancing children thread.

• Like 2

You can always see who the ex dancers are at court. They are the ones with beautiful posture, grace, have beautiful hair and move like gazelles. 

Then you have the ones who are clearly ballet mums, frazzled, constantly refreshing forum pages for updates on junior associate results and looking like poop.

Tell you girl to enjoy the degree and uni. It's nothing like the real world x

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/06/2018 at 11:57, siana said:

Good luck and I hope your daughter enjoys university. My DD is in her second year of a geophysics degree at Durham and is really enjoying her time there because she is still dancing. First year she just joined the ballet dance team who compete against other universities while this year she has also joined the Ballet Company who do 1 production a year - maybe this is something that may be avalable at your daughters university?  My DD says the outlet to still dance provides a big relief from the high work  pressures on her course and she wouldn't do as well without it.

I went to see their performance of Snow White last week, which part did she play? They were really good! The teacher who choreographed it for them was my first ballet teacher! 

On ‎14‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 01:26, HopelessMummy said:

I'm a practising lawyer and I can honestly say I've found supporting my 17 year old's ballet career more emotionally gruelling over the years than my job.  

• Like 5

• 9 months later...
On 26/06/2018 at 12:53, TabbyCool said:

I went to see their performance of Snow White last week, which part did she play? They were really good! The teacher who choreographed it for them was my first ballet teacher! 

Wow, its a small world! Did you go because  of your connection with the teacher? Sorry for the late reply but I don't check on here much anymore. My daughter played one of the  Queens two attendants. She really enjoys doing the company classes and says the teacher is fantastic.

My daughter choreographed the Advanced Ballet competition  team that year as well, which placed first in all the inter university dance comps. Its given her a whole new interest and could be something dance related she takes further.