Obituary – Rudi van Dantzig: Telegraph

Reviews - Royal Ballet The Dream/Song of the Earth:

Laura Thompson,
The Telegraph

Clement Crisp,
Financial Times

Clifford Bishop,
Evening Standard

Review - Wayne McGregor/Candoco/Hofesh Shechter, Sadler's Wells: Clifford Bishop, Evening Standard

Review - Cedar Lake Contemporary Ballet, Lyon: Laura Cappelle, Financial Times

Review - Shen Wei Dance Arts, Seattle, Limited States: Michael Upchurch, Seattle Times

Dancing in the Movies, three films considered: Marina Harss, Faster Times

Wim Wenders’ Pina: Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post

Preview – Twyla Tharp’s The Princess and the Goblin, Atlanta Ballet: Gia Kourlas, NY Times

Australian Ballet goes to New York in June: Broadway World

Prix de Lausanne 2012 (concludes tomorrow): Michele Laird, swissinfo

L’affaire Polunin: David Lister, Independent

Gosh....5 stars for the current RB double bill from Clement Crisp!! What a rarity....and I do agree with everything he said in his review. John, thanks so much for taking the time to post all these up...I have just spent a very pleasant hour drinking my coffee and reading through it all.

Links – Sunday February 5, 2012

Review – The Dream/ Song of the Earth, Royal Ballet: Jenny Gilbert, The Independent

Review – Men in Motion, Sadler’s Wells: Luke Jennings, The Observer

From Foot to Foot, How Rhythm Travelled the World: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

Ashley Bouder, NYCB ballerina: Stefanie Cohen, New York Post

Preview – Pacific Northwest Ballet, Don Quixote: Steven Mesler, Huffington Post

Preview – Boston Ballet’s Balanchine/Wheeldon/Fokine bill: Jeffrey Gantz, Boston Globe

Review – Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, Toronto: Paula Citron, Globe and Mail

Review – Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Don Quixote, Texas: Manuel Mendoza, Dallas Morning News

Review – Israel Ballet, Tel Aviv: Ora Brafman, Jerusalem Post

Shiny new Bolshoi theatre a big flop (apparently): Reuters, Times Colonist

Italian ballerina sacked in anorexia row: Tom Kington, The Guardian

Links – Monday February 6, 2012

Review – Russell Maliphant, The Rodin Project: Ismene Brown, The Arts Desk

Review – NYCB, Balanchine and Ratmansky, À la Russe:

Marina Harss,
The Faster Times

Gia Kourlas,
NY Times

Prix de Lausanne, prizewinner Madoka Sugai: Hiroyuki Maegawa, Asahi Shimbun

…and Hannah Bettes who came 2nd: Carrie Seidman, Arts Sarasota

Prix de Lausanne 2012 finals on video (1hr 45min): Prix de Lausanne Web TV, Prizewinners

Preview – Twyla Tharp's The Princess and the Goblin, Atlanta Ballet: Cynthia Bond Perry, Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Preview – Edward Liang’s Romeo and Juliet, Tulsa Ballet: James D. Watts Jr, Tulsa World

Ballet begins (again) at 50: Yona Zeldis McDonough, The Telegraph

Review - BONEdanse, This Is a Damage Manual: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Links – Tuesday February 7, 2012

Review – NYCB, Russian Seasons, Stravinsky Violin Concerto, Allegro Brillante: Leigh Witchel, New York Post

Review – Pacific Northwest Ballet in Ratmansky’s Don Quixote, Seattle:

Claudia La Rocco,
NY Times

Moira Macdonald,
Seattle Times

Review – Russell Maliphant, The Rodin Project:

5 stars,
Evening Standard

3 stars, Zoe Anderson,
The Independent

Neil Norman,
The Stage

Review – Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, Uncommon: Jane Vranish, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ballet dancers and anorexia – and pay: Judith Mackrell, The Guardian

Ballet dancers: under pressure, and underweight: Channel 4 news

Joffrey Ballet, Thodos Dance Chicago documentaries: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Interview - Prix de Lausanne winner Madoka Sugai: Mainichi Daily News

Review – Moscow City Ballet, Swan Lake: Martin Dreyer, York Press

Jaered Glavin, Royal New Zealand Ballet: Erica Thompson, Dominion Post

Real love story behind Sacramento Ballet's Cinderella: Leigh Grogan, Sacramento Bee

Nancy Osbaldeston and ENB’s Emerging Dancer Competition: Constantin Bjerke, Huffington Post

National Ballet of Canada’s 2012/2013 season: Melody Lau, National Post

Preview – National Ballet of Cuba, Don Quixote, Vancouver: Andra Rabinovitch, Vancouver Observer

New York City Ballet Colors by OPI: Lauren Salpatek, Modern Salon

BE WARNED - There seems to be a problem at the moment with new posts apparently not being posted and thus prompting people (me included) to click the post button again. This results in multiple posts of the same message.

If that seems to be happening to you DON'T click on Post again, just refresh the page and you should find your message there.

Links – Wednesday February 8, 2012

Review - With Little to Cheer Besides Balanchine, NYCB’s winter season: Robert Grescovic, Wall Street Journal

Review – Pacific Northwest Ballet in Ratmansky's Don Quixote, Seattle: Sandra Kurtz, Seattle Weekly

Review – Russell Maliphant, The Rodin Project, Sadler’s Wells: 3 stars, Laura Thompson, The Telegraph

Review - Four choreographers, Jealousy, The Print Room, London: 3 stars, Zoe Anderson, The Independent

Edward Villella's sudden exit from Miami City Ballet: Jordan Levin, Miami Herald

Diana Vishneva, Modern Goddess: Chelsea Zalopany, Tmagazine

Smokin’ feet, Guillaume Côté’s Lost in Motion video: LA Times

Evgenia Obraztsova dumps Alma Mater: RT

Preview - Alberta Ballet reimagines Cinderella: Bob Clark, Calgary Herald

Preview – Orlando Ballet’s Battle of the Sexes: Matthew J. Palm, Orlando Sentinel

Interview - Vanessa Anspaugh + Jen Rosenblit: Gia Kourlas, NY Time Out

It's time for the Ballet Olympics in Cape Town: Artslink Zaire

Links - Thursday February 9, 2012

Review – NYCB, Stravinsky Violin Concerto: Apollinaire Scherr, Financial Times

Review – Dance Theater of Harlem II, Mixed Bill: Gia Kourlas, NY Times

Preview – Joffrey Ballet, “Winter Fire” programme: Hedy Weiss, Chicago Sun-Times

Joffrey Ballet announces 2012-13 Season: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Preview - Vadim Muntagirov and Daria Klimentova: Valerie Lawson, The Australian

Queensland, West Australian & Australian Ballets: Cameron Pegg, The Australian

Preview – Ishmael Houston-Jones at Danspace Project: Brian Seibert, NY Times

NYCB commissions two works from Justin Peck: Daniel J Wakin, NY Times

Review – Matthew Bourne, Nutcracker!: Amy Burns, Express & Star

Charles Dickens discovers a dance in New York: Ismene Brown, Arts Desk

La Scala dancers rebut anorexia claims: AP item, Guardian

When Guest Stars Rule Dance: Joel Lobenthal, CityArts

Preview – Lar Lubovitch in New York: Susan Reiter, CityArts

Please does anyone know of a link to a review of Vadim Muntagirov's (?debut) performance as Solor in ABT's full length La Bayadere (Makarova production) in Washington DC last Saturday afternoon? It is mentioned in passing in The Australian article quoted above - I would dearly love to have been at the Kennedy Center but only heard of it very recently - especially since I count myself lucky enough to have seen the debut of his current director - Wayne Eagling - in the same role (though only Act 3 - the Shades, Nureyev production, as the RB gave it then) partnering Freda Thorogood at the Bristol Hippodrome one Saturday afternoon in I think May 1978! Happy days!

Links – Friday February 10, 2012

Review - Alvin Ailey dance troupe shines: Sarah Kaufman, Washington Post

Review – Dance Theatre of Harlem II: Tobi Tobias, The Arts Journal

Review – Akram Khan, Vertical Road, Montclair: Gia Kourlas, NY Times

Interview – Ethan Stiefel, ABT and RNZB: Rebecca Barry Hill, New Zealand Herald

Review - Four choreographers, Jealousy, The Print Room, London: 3 stars, Judith Mackrell, The Guardian

Dancer as Athlete – video interview with Alicia Graf Mack: William C. Rhoden, NY Times

David Hallberg - The Bolshoi’s Yankee prince: Joy Neumeyer, Moscow News

Wayne McGregor’s Infra coming to the Joffrey: Hedy Weiss, Chicago Sun-Times

Interview – Wayne McGregor: Janet Smith, Straight.com

American Ballet Theater Thwarts Mikhailovsky’s Summer Plans: Daniel J. Wakin, NY Times

Leonid Jacobson, Russian Jewish dancer & choreographer: Sue Fishkoff, J Weekly

Mariafrancesca Garritano and anorexia (again): Roslyn Sulcas, NY Times

Los Angeles Dance Festival to debut in a busy April: Laura Bleiberg, LA Times

Preview - Margaret Jenkins Dance Company Light Moves, Chicago: Zachary Whittenburg, Time Out Chicago

Sarah Lane: "Me sentí traicionada por Natalie Portman": Marta Cervera, El Periodico

ABT’s Misty Copeland goes back to her hometown: Rob Kuznia, Daily Breeze

Film review – Fred Wiseman’s Crazy Horse: Moira Macdonald, Seattle Times

Please does anyone know of a link to a review of Vadim Muntagirov's (?debut) performance as Solor in ABT's full length La Bayadere (Makarova production) in Washington DC last Saturday afternoon?

There's a brief comment on Ballet Talk, but I haven't seen anything else, Possibly the fact that it was in Washington has reduced the coverage. Or possibly someone will sum up the season later.

That's a very enlightening article about Infra in the Chicago Sun-Times - perhaps more so than the programme notes, I think, although I must admit that I wasn't as aware of all the references as that. But I suspect that the reference to McGregor's next work for the RB may not in fact be the forthcoming one, because it doesn't seem to tally with what's in the Period 3 booking brochure.

Links - Saturday February 11, 2012

Review - Royal Ballet, The Dream/The Song of the Earth:

5 stars, Clement Crisp,
Financial Times

Margaret Willis,
bachtrack

Gerald Dowler,
Classical Source

Review - Paris Opera Ballet, Orphée et Eurydice, Palais Garnier: 5 stars, Laura Cappelle, Financial Times

Review - Paris Opera Ballet, Cinderella, Opéra Bastille: Patricia Boccadoro, Culturekiosque

Review - New York City Ballet, Balanchine & Taylor-Corbett: Claudia La Rocco, NY Times

Review - Boston Ballet, Simply Sublime: Thea Singer, Boston Globe

Review - Manuela Carrasco, Suspiro Flamenco, Sadler’s Well: Clifford Bishop, Evening Standard

Review - British Dance Edition, Sadler's Wells: 1 star, Clement Crisp, Financial Times

Review - Richard Alston Dance Company, Canterbury: 4 stars, Judith Mackrell, The Guardian

Review - Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo, Cinderella, Orange County:

Laura Bleiberg,
LA Times

Paul Hodgins,
Orange County Register

Review - Orlando Ballet, Battle of the Sexes III: Matthew J. Palm, Orlando Sentinel

Review - Cloud Gate II, New York: Brian Seibert, NY Times

Review - Amanda Loulaki & Levi Gonzalez, New York: Claudia La Rocco, NY Times

Review - Isabel Lewis & Will Rawls, Parallels, New York: Gia Kourlas, NY Times

Review - Northern Ballet, Perpetual Motion, Leeds: Kevin Berry, The Stage

Review - Sacramento Ballet, Cinderella: Leigh Grogan, Sacramento Bee

Review - Alberta Ballet, Cinderella: 4 stars, Bob Clark, Calgary Herald

Review - Ballet Arizona, The Sleeping Beauty: Richard Nilsen, Arizona Phoenix

Review - Cincinnati Ballet, Carmen: David Lyon, Cincinnati Enquirer

Review - Ballet West, Swan Lake, Musselburgh:

3 stars, Kelly Apter,
The Scotsman

3 stars,
Edinburgh Evening News

Preview - Joffrey Ballet, Wayne McGregor & William Forsythe: Sid Smith, Chicago Tribune

Preview - Royal Winnipeg Ballet, Twyla Tharp’s The Princess and the Goblin: Alison Mayes, Winnipeg Free Press

Review - Forever Tango, Sarasota: Gayle Williams, Sarasota Herald-Tribune

Preview - CanAsian Dance Fest, Toronto: Paula Citron, Globe and Mail

Indeed John. He must have liked it so much he went to see it again - I can empathise with that I've been 5 times ! Actually I meant to say that I thought this point in his first review

"Both works show the Royal Ballet’s real qualities far better than any of the care-worn ‘classics’

was absolutely spot-on ! I wonder what other treasures there are in the RB rep that are worthy of resurrection ? See thread in What's Happening .....

Thank you to all who continue to post the Links. They are part of my daily routine too. Like a lot of people I do tend to choose reviews about companies that I have seen both in this country and abroad.

I was interested in Clement Crisps comments about programmes of two or three short ballets. The problem with these is that there is more often than not one ballet you really do not want to see. If you have managed a cheap ticket and/or live locally it's probably not a problem but if you travel a distance specially you do tend to be a bit picky. The other point is that there are always people coming to the ballet for the first time. It may be the only time they attend or it may be the start of a lifelong love. Either way they probably choose something they recognise for their first trip, such as, dare I say it 'Swan Lake'

I would like to add my thanks to everyone who posts the links. (I know it's taken me a while, but forgot my password and then couldn't get logged in again - all sorted now though)

I fully appreciate the amount of time it must take someone everyday to trawl through all the reviews and interesting articles. The reviews and links section has always been my first port of call for dance-related info. Unfortunately, I am only one of the "lurkers" on this site. I couldn't possibly compete with the quality of contributions that are always such a pleasure to read, plus I don't have the time.

Many, many thanks to Bruce (and fellow contributors) for all your great work. Enjoying Dance Tabs, but haven't had enough time to do more than skim over the content so far - must get my work / life balance sorted out :-)

Webfoot: Thanks for the Thanks on Links - we're doing our best to keep the service going at a reasonable cost in personal time! But as John infers, you've broken the ice now. It wasn't so difficult was it? I know, because I lurked for a good year or so, measuring the temper of the forum, before daring to post. Please don't feel overwhelmed by anything you see here. If you enjoy ballet and dance, we'd be happy to hear from you - gradually at first, if you wish, but who knows where it will take you?

And when did Mr Crisp last give two 5 star reviews in a row for different casts in the same bill?

Possibly more recently than we may think: he seems to have got a lot more generous with them in recent years.

Please don't feel overwhelmed by anything you see here. If you enjoy ballet and dance, we'd be happy to hear from you - gradually at first, if you wish, but who knows where it will take you?

I was going to say much the same: the more people, the better!

And thanks to John for that bumper crop today.

Edited by alison