RBS Junior Associates 2018

Sugarplummum

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Dancing feet said:

We are waiting on London results but i’m determined not to keep checking emails, instead i’m checking here!! 

Me too. But every time my phone bings I hope it'll be from them, so I'm having to stay away from the phone too. Luckily DD doesn't know results have started to come.

So glad I stumbled across this forum waiting anxiously for our email for DS who auditioned on tues 29th May in London. Anyone else heard from London yet or do we think we are in for another weekend of waiting?? 

1 hour ago, Bbc14t said:

So glad I stumbled across this forum waiting anxiously for our email for DS who auditioned on tues 29th May in London. Anyone else heard from London yet or do we think we are in for another weekend of waiting?? 

Waiting waiting....

nice to see others coming in though - guessing London early /mid next week???

Hi everone i only stumbled across this forum yesterday and have been maniacally checking emails ever since id read that results are out. The waiting game is driving me crazy. My dd auditioned at birmingham 2nd day. Ive noticed the Leeds auditions overlap the Birmingham ones so thinking the bham ones will be out before some of the leeds ones x

Takes me back to this time last year when we were waiting. Anxious, anxious times...

DD joined year 6 last year and had her final class today. It finished with the DC being presented with their certificates. Loads of photos and tears all round (parents and DC!). It's been a fabulous year with lovely new friends made. DD and some of her friends off to vocational school in September.

If it's a no this time, don't give up. Try again next year - we did. 

Good luck to those still waiting. x

• Like 3

Well done to all the DC getting a yes... If it was a no it's not the end of the world it just means no right now it could be a yes some other time. After 8 years of following this lovely forum we believe you should never give up on your dream :wub: and many paths lead you to your end goal...

"TAKE PRIDE IN HOW FAR YOU HAVE COME, HAVE FAITH IN HOW FAR YOU CAN GO!!!!"

c4d

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bbc14t said:

We were just before london (eastleigh 25th ma)y and not heard, although like many we are in a sense not waiting as we feel we know the result already mainly because i don't think my daughter compares well in terms of flexibility plus everything else i can't see because i am her mother  :rolleyes: but still very interested in this thread as intrigued by what the RBS actually choose and how on earth they can compare a child with little training to a child with significant training (Mine is somewhere in the vast middle). for example my daughter has literally blossomed from performing at festivals for 2 yrs so how can other children who haven't had that opportunity demonstrate that same degree of musical expression- not saying it's impossible but certainly much harder- they only got one improvisation in the audition so what about those little shy ones who come alive when the music bangs and they can just move  ^_^ i would so love to hear their deliberations and feel sorry for them they only have 1 hour to assess. i thought the 2 hour insight workshop was a very good differentiation of musicality ( parents watch the workshops) but DD said the audition was quite different and very much more focused on how they look in certain bends. they must have had a physio there surely otherwise how could they judge who could bend further with training? i'm digressing...no email here!

I feel for those who are still waiting. I think this is one of those rare circumstances when having electronic communication is a bad thing! When my DD was at this stage I wasn't on any forums and so had no idea when results started to come out. And it was all by letter, so when you were waiting for a result, once the post had been and there was nothing in it, you could forget about it again til next day. Now, when results come by email and at totally random times of the day I think it makes things more stressful for everyone. Hope you all manage to relax and enjoy the weekend. Fingers crossed you get the messages you're hoping for on Monday.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

We were just before london (eastleigh 25th ma)y and not heard, although like many we are in a sense not waiting as we feel we know the result already mainly because i don't think my daughter compares well in terms of flexibility plus everything else i can't see because i am her mother  :rolleyes: but still very interested in this thread as intrigued by what the RBS actually choose and how on earth they can compare a child with little training to a child with significant training (Mine is somewhere in the vast middle). for example my daughter has literally blossomed from performing at festivals for 2 yrs so how can other children who haven't had that opportunity demonstrate that same degree of musical expression- not saying it's impossible but certainly much harder- they only got one improvisation in the audition so what about those little shy ones who come alive when the music bangs and they can just move  ^_^ i would so love to hear their deliberations and feel sorry for them they only have 1 hour to assess. i thought the 2 hour insight workshop was a very good differentiation of musicality ( parents watch the workshops) but DD said the audition was quite different and very much more focused on how they look in certain bends. they must have had a physio there surely otherwise how could they judge who could bend further with training? i'm digressing...no email here!

Hello! I think it’s a very simple dance class and they are looking for potential over ability and experience (I think!!) -at least this is what my dd dance teacher told me. my daughter only does 45 mins of ballet a week, has never done an audition before or a festival before but her dance teacher thinks there’s potential there so who knows. I met a lovely lady at the bath audition who previously danced for royal ballet and she said it’s not nothing to do with how good they are at dancing at this stage. Best of luck to your dd / ds x x x 

• Like 1

From what our daughters teacher said, they aren’t looking for the ‘finished’ product so performance and technical ability aren’t that important (musicality is to some degree). From JAs that she’s had in the past she said that  they pretty much go right back to basics in the classes - so they are looking for a combination of physique (which I think is why they do the socks off checks and poses at the beginning to start narrowing down) together with musicality from the short impro and whether the child will respond to their teaching (pays attention, interested etc during the audition). They have very few places and a lot of applicants so I suppose they can be afford to be picky...

On 09/06/2018 at 08:02, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

My daughter is currently year 4 at Eastleigh so we are looking forward to seeing who will be joining us in September. They aren’t looking for perfection or brilliant technique, what they are looking for is nice feet and a real love of dance. Flexibility isn’t even a huge issue as they can work on it. 

You will I’m sure find out next week, we had our email on the 13th June last year 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hazel said:

From what our daughters teacher said, they aren’t looking for the ‘finished’ product so performance and technical ability aren’t that important (musicality is to some degree). From JAs that she’s had in the past she said that  they pretty much go right back to basics in the classes - so they are looking for a combination of physique (which I think is why they do the socks off checks and poses at the beginning to start narrowing down) together with musicality from the short impro and whether the child will respond to their teaching (pays attention, interested etc during the audition). They have very few places and a lot of applicants so I suppose they can be afford to be picky...

Your teacher is spot on. 

The classes are back to the very basics how to stretch your feet and get them strong, and how to work your muscles. All of the girls in my DDs class are pretty similar in shape so there is obviously something in that they identify with. 

X

• Like 1

Congratulations to your little dancer Lottie77 and I'm sure RBS will have found some adorable little joiners for her group. Any child who has been selected obviously really shines  🌟 xxx Good luck to all "waiting" x

ps does anyone have experience of an alternative Junior associate scheme which they'd recommend near the South Coast? We've spoken to Tring (and CBAs next) but has anyone on here done Ballet Boost?(...September rushing towards us now and I haven't found DD a JA scheme!)

1 minute ago, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

Congratulations to your little dancer Lottie77 and I'm sure RBS will have found some adorable little joiners for her group. Any child who has been selected obviously really shines  🌟 xxx Good luck to all "waiting" x

ps does anyone have experience of an alternative Junior associate scheme which they'd recommend near the South Coast? We've spoken to Tring (and CBAs next) but has anyone on here done Ballet Boost?(...September rushing towards us now and I haven't found DD a JA scheme!)

We're also trying Young Dancers Academy, and I've heard of Masters of Ballet, who run a weekend class.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Meglorien said:

We're also trying Young Dancers Academy, and I've heard of Masters of Ballet, who run a weekend class.

are you auditioning for YDA or are you already with them? their auditions clash with our actual ballet exam but they wouldn't let us observe a class until we had successfully auditioned...

2 hours ago, Mummy2BalletFairies said:

Ballet boost is really good x 

Hello All, 

I found this topic while waiting for the results.

DD auditioned in London, on Friday the 1st of June, amongst the last ones. 

She’s just 7, turning 8 in July and she’s very very little. 

Edited by ExpatB

All the talk of email refreshing takes me back to this time last year. My dd has been lucky enough to just complete her first year in birmingham as a year 4 associate. She was put on Swl when results came out and was offered a place 2 weeks later.

We were chatting to her teacher this weekend and they are moving her into the 32 week class for year 5 and we heard her tell another parent there are 4 or 5 new students joining their 24 week year 4/5 class in september.

Well done to everyone already who have had a yes and good luck to everyone still waiting 🙂 

15 minutes ago, Dreamingwithherfeet said:

My first post! Waiting patiently for email. My daughter auditioned in Birmingham, but Totnes is our first choice. Keeping my fingers crossed and toes pointed for everyone x

Will wait eagerly to hear how your DD gets on, what year is she going for? My DD has a yes for yr 5 at Totnes ( and her friend does also) - we’d love to hear from any new Totnes JAs! 🤞x

Good luck to everyone, this time last year I had butterflies every time I heard my email ping it is a very stressful time waiting for results.

My dd was a late started and after a year of ballet she was asked to audition for a JA place so I took her along to the Totnes centre for a year 6 place. After a long wait we did receive a yes email I was absolutely gob smacked and so thrilled for her. All I can say is that the training is 1st class and she has enjoyed every second. She got swl for a MA place in Bath so we have our fingers crossed 🤞 for a place to come up.

Good luck to everyone 🍀

Good luck everyone! My DD is just about to have her last JA lesson next week in Leeds as a Year 4. She has absolutely loved it and can't wait for year 5 to start!!!!! She got SWL and then 3 days later I got a phone call from Sylvia Hubbard to offer her a place. So anyone on SWL it can still happen :)

Edited by sunrise81