RBS Junior Associates 2018

Sugarplummum

My daughter is going to Elmhurst also. My daughter was in a gymnastics squad last year and got SWL for RB last year. She left gymnastics because she prefers dance and we couldn’t fit everything in! This year no for RB! To be fair though she was only doing a few hours gym rather than 16 and I don’t think it made any difference to the result. Maybe she could just do less hours gymnastics? 

• Like 1

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, BalletShoes5 said:

Good to know I am not alone! MY DD also more natural dance way and like you I'm worried about her shoulders, bulking up etc. I'll post or msg you if have any clearer insight in the next few months which may help you! xx 

Thanks that would be very much appreciated - and I meant to saw well done to your DD for getting Elmhurst, that's really fantastic!

• Like 1

Aww will be lovely to see you at Elmhurst. I was impressed by the girls I saw on the day of the audition in their tracksuits, they all looked really happy. It would be the logical thing to do - cutting down gym hours. But I was chatting to another squad mum the other day and in reality it's really hard to do. Where do the coaches put them? They stand out like a sore thumb in the  groups with less hours, and the squad coaches wouldn't let them stay in their existing squads if they won't do the hours. So it's a tricky one. Would be incredibly hard to go cold turkey with it! Regardless - I think Elmhurst will be an utterly lovely experience for them both.

7 minutes ago, Waverley said:

Thanks that would be very much appreciated - and I meant to saw well done to your DD for getting Elmhurst, that's really fantastic!

Thank you. It has a lovely vibe there so think she will enjoy it. She's excited!  x 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Balletdaddy said:

Hello all. I'm new here. My daughter just got a waiting list letter from RB JA at Birmingham. Does anyone know what her chances of getting a place are, in terms of odds? We're crossing fingers but trying to be realistic too.

Cheers.

If you read back, there are a lot of posts about this. In conclusion: it’s a reason to be hopeful! 

Congratulatuons! 🎉

For everyone else: if Birmingham results are still coming in, the Londoners should get out to the sun and forget about this for a while. 

Edited by ExpatB
  • Like 1

Just to confuse people even more re the gymnastics/ballet debate  😊 my dd, who was a JA and now a Mid used to be a very successful  WAG gymnast on the BG NDP, county squad member every year plus she did her National Grade 4 in age on only 12 hours training a week, one of only 4 in her region (NW) her lovely coach loved her dancing too and she still comes to watch her in shows even now.  

She was very fortunate to be able to able to do both, but had to make a choice in year 7 - as she wasn’t doing enough ballet classes to keep up - only 2 hours a week outside Mids and not much pointework, she now dances nearly every night!

She is tall with extremely proportionaly long legs - not all gymnasts are built the same! They don’t select on body type really, more fast twitch muscle type, flexibility and strength and of course a complete dare devil streak 😊 

Good luck to you all, and if it’s a no, just don’t give up, things change X

Edited by Snowflake
Typo
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, ExpatB said:

If you read back, there are a lot of posts about this. In conclusion: it’s a reason to be hopeful! 

Congratulatuons! 🎉

For everyone else: if Birmingham results are still coming in, the Londoners should get out to the sun and forget about this for a while. 

Argh, noooooo! (But your way of putting it made me smile 😉 )

8 minutes ago, Snowflake said:

Just to confuse people even more re the gymnastics/ballet debate  😊 my dd, who was a JA and now a Mid used to be a very successful  WAG gymnast on the BG NDP, county squad member every year plus she did her National Grade 4 in age on only 12 hours training a week, one of only 4 in her region (NW) her lovely coach loved her dancing too and she still comes to watch her in shows even now.  

She was very fortunate to be able to able to do both, but had to make a choice in year 7 - as she wasn’t doing enough ballet classes to keep up - only 2 hours a week outside Mids and not much pointework, she now dances nearly every night!

She is tall with extremely proportionaly long legs - not all gymnasts are built the same! They don’t select on body type really, more fast twitch muscle type, flexibility and strength and of course a complete dare devil streak 😊 

Good luck to you all, and if it’s a no, just don’t give up, things change X

Thank you, that's good to know. Sounds really similar to DD in regards to gymnastics. She's on the regional squad (3rd in overall region) and is aiming for compulsory 3 (in age) next year (currently comp 4/national 4). It may be that she swaps to national grades then to reduce hours -  I worry she's doing too many hours. She's got very long legs like her Daddy so not sure how long the gym will continue as hinders bar work. Great to hear that you can continue the two. She's got into Elmhurst so I see that as a positive, maybe she was just having an off day at RB audition - who knows (she did throw up that evening)!  Massive congrats to those who got into RB and big hugs to those who didn't.   x 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExpatB said:

Congratulatuons! 🎉

Thanks. I will remain cautiously optimistic!

3 hours ago, BalletShoes5 said:

Thank you, that's good to know. Sounds really similar to DD in regards to gymnastics. She's on the regional squad (3rd in overall region) and is aiming for compulsory 3 (in age) next year (currently comp 4/national 4). It may be that she swaps to national grades then to reduce hours -  I worry she's doing too many hours. She's got very long legs like her Daddy so not sure how long the gym will continue as hinders bar work. Great to hear that you can continue the two. She's got into Elmhurst so I see that as a positive, maybe she was just having an off day at RB audition - who knows (she did throw up that evening)!  Massive congrats to those who got into RB and big hugs to those who didn't.   x 

Yes, it’s hard to get them to make a choice - if they have dedicated so much of their childhood to gymnastics - the training is really tough and their gym can become almost like a family.  My dd trained in the same small group of 5i girls with the same wonderful coach from age 6 to 11 - training together long days all summer, and forming such strong friendships and bonds - happy memories for her!  

Thankfully the group all left at the same time, for various reasons - mostly combining higher level training with starting high school - but it made my dds transition to purely dancing a lot less heartbreaking.

Well done on your dds Elmhurst place and good luck for next years round of audition and WAG Grades ! An amazing achievement! 😊 

Edited by Snowflake
Typo
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tiredtoes said:

Girl- Wednesday audition. Yes it’s agonising. I expect a no, but all the same it’s still nerve wracking! How about you? 

Boy Tuesday audition- he is very confident but I worry as he has just turned 8 and is so little. I have told him how unlikely it is and his response was “well they have to pick someone and you never know it might just be me! But if it’s not I will go again next year”. 

I am a bag of nerves resulted in a couple of glasses of red tonight 😂

goid luck to your little girl x

1 hour ago, LL82 said:

Hi, I’m new to this forum. My daughter had a yes for Totnes. She is 9 and joining the yr 5 class in September I presume! Lx

Congratulations to your dd, exciting times...my dd is in year 6 at Totnes it is a wonderful centre.. x

1 hour ago, Bbc14t said:

Boy Tuesday audition- he is very confident but I worry as he has just turned 8 and is so little. I have told him how unlikely it is and his response was “well they have to pick someone and you never know it might just be me! But if it’s not I will go again next year”. 

I am a bag of nerves resulted in a couple of glasses of red tonight 😂

goid luck to your little girl x

I love it. Just the right attitude! I do hope he gets a yes. We also auditioned in London, on the Wednesday, for Y5.

Edited by Meglorien
Forgot some content