Ballet costumes you covet?

44 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Yes that particular red dress is rather nice it’s just that layers of net tend to look fab on the right figure let’s say!! 
I suppose it depends how you interpret the title ...does covet mean you just want to own in order to just look at it or do you fancy yourself actually wearing the costume! 

Ha ha, a good point!  If the latter, it's have to be the recent Dante gown worn by Ed.  It looks cosy for an evening in watching a ballet video, glass of wine and box of chocolates within reach.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, zxDaveM said:

just do a quick search on Flickr - there are lots of examples there

Sometimes difficult to tell, as the photos don't always reveal the full costume.  Many of them look a different shade of red.  The one worn by Cojocaru, for example, looks a much brighter red than the one  worn by Fonteyn.

3 hours ago, LinMM said:

Yes that particular red dress is rather nice it’s just that layers of net tend to look fab on the right figure let’s say!! 
I suppose it depends how you interpret the title ...does covet mean you just want to own in order to just look at it or do you fancy yourself actually wearing the costume! 

Well, I am not sure many people other than professional dancers look  good in a tutu.  Doesn't stop me lusting after one though. 🙂

With regard to actually wearing stuff, I have to say that a lot of the cloaks worn by the men appeal to me.  There was a gorgeous blue one worn by Albrecht in the recent photos of the Giselle rehearsal.  I could definitely see myself swishing about in that.  And also I like the look of all the plumed hats and rather natty boots that the male dancers often wear. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Many of them look a different shade of red.  The one worn by Cojocaru, for example, looks a much brighter red than the one  worn by Fonteyn.

I think that's more the photography, than the dress. The old photo with Fonteyn looks rather faded (the photo itself that is, not the dress)

8 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Not if Nureyev had anything to do with it!

I swear his cloaks got longer at every performance .... might get into a pickle trying to fold one of his up!! 

Ah, nobody wore a cloak like Nureyev. 🙂  He was born in the wrong era. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, LinMM said:

Not if Nureyev had anything to do with it!

I swear his cloaks got longer at every performance .... might get into a pickle trying to fold one of his up!! 

I once told someone who hadn't seen Nureyev that his favourite partner was .... his cloak!

• Like 3

There's the frillies and the floaties...Titania's Tutu in The Dream...Any of the Faeries costumes from same.

The Firebird. It's red. It has a lot of feathers. Who needs more?...Ondine's dress...Alice's tutu in Alice In Wonderland.

I love a couple of the queen's costumes in Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake - the lilac silk from Act 1, the red ballgown...

Bolshoi, so many but I particularly like the tutus in The Pharoah's Daughter. The latter search brought up my dream pairing of Ananiashvili & Filin on Youtube. Just wonderful. And not a hyper-extension in sight. Made my week.

Ashton's Cinderella "dancing with a broomstick scene"...Giselle "madness", just love the way the hem of the skirt is weighted. Kudos to  the costume dept...

• Like 2