Bolshoi Ballet London Tour Summer 2019

It looks all wrong to me, as if it's a deliberate omission (just like Manons who don't beat their feet in the relevant place in the bedroom pas de deux), but then I guess it depends on what you've been "brought up" with :) 

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cabriole can be plain, with the legs held together in front in a diagonal angle (in the same way a failli or pas de poisson will hold them together behind) or it can be beaten.  This can be with a double scissor action, i.e. the top leg opens and beats before the final opening, or it can be with the top leg beating front and behind as well, even more difficult! 

Edited by Pas de Quatre
spelling
  • Like 5

Yes isn't that what happens in the Blubird variation in Sleeping Beauty?.......though think they are really brisées! Incredibly knackering and can look a bit laboured sometimes but lovely if performed really well. The cabriole has the scissor action with the beat/s but the above dancers have particularly high scissor action. I think brisées are supposed to finish in 5th. 

Both very elegant and poised dancers in the clips ....and in time with the music. Looking forward to seeing Ovcharenko ( and Oscar of course) next summer.

I think the issue with some skaters has been that they don't use the music very well .....so do big jumps and then nothing much between the next big jump etc ....though this is changing in skating now too. 

John Curry and his ilk showed how the music could be used beautifully too. 

Im also very pleased that the standard of men's dancing in general has gone up in recent years...though there have always been some "stars" etc. 

ABT have today just released a small video of Danii Simkin rehearsing ....in the studio not in costume or anything....it's entitled " He's Back" .....so presumably has been injured?

Anyway it appeared on my Facebook page and have been trying to post here but seems I can't 😬

It shows some more superb cabrioles and brisees type steps and with double beats! 

There is a hashtag sign by it but I'm not in Twitter so don't know whether others might be able to post? 

56 minutes ago, LinMM said:

....it's entitled " He's Back" .....so presumably has been injured?

Not at all ... He's been delighting audiences in Berlin ... Saw him ravish in their truly delightful Nutcracker (so glad they brought that stunning previous production back) and he, of course, also danced Solor in Ratmansky's STUNNING - and I do MEAN stunning - (new) production of La Bayadere.  So much prefer that now to the Makarova one.  It has many bonuses .... but the primary one is that it simply tells the story SO well ... well, so much better ... and has all those divine character dances in it ... (which Makarova at the BA meeting said 'Western dancers couldn't do' - P.S:  They're learning well in Berlin it seems) minus the golden idol - although the Golden Idol is paraded through.  Do try to catch it if you can.  I'm sure it will be in Berlin's rep for a good time to come - and I'm sure the production will be picked up internationally.  Indeed I wouldn't be surprised if ABT - where Ratmansky is the Choreographer in Residence and, of course, Simkin also a principal - doesn't replace Makarova's with it.  Although that said - and thinking aloud on cyber -  there are company loyalties to both, of course ... and KMcK did dance with Makarova ... so any such move would probably have to be be under the next AD's baton if it were to happen at all.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 3

Well thanks for that Bruce Wall! Am always glad to hear that dancers are NOT injured!

I always keep a look out for Danii as my close friends daughter in Sydney who is into Ballet kept posting me videos of him for a while between 2012 and 2015 

Her favourite dancer for a long time at any rate! 

This little video shows he is certainly still amazing! 

Would really love to see that Ratmansky Bayadere!! 

Ratmansky's Bayadere sounds wonderful. How I wish we could have it at the RB instead of the Makharova version which I've never liked because so much has been left out. If Kevin O'Hare doesn't want to replace the Makharova version perhaps Carlos could acquire it for BRB as they were cheated of their Bayadere? That would be a great eye-catching coup for him. Or even Tamara acquiring it for ENB. They have Corsaire now and that seemed popular. Why not Bayadere?

• Like 6

It would be an extraordinary coup for ENB or BRB to acquire the Ratmansky Bayadere, I saw Simkin and Anna Ol in the lead roles in November last year, and thought the entire performance and the production were splendid. Solor's role has been cut back from a choreographic perspective but he does have one fiendishly challenging solo (which Simkin danced brilliantly). I have to say - as with Bruce W above - for me the Ratmansky version is superior in pretty much all departments to the RB's version. The designs are wonderful. (And the parrots are still there....)

(This comment probably does not belong on this thread!)

Edited by BeauxArts
  • Like 1

I also saw Simkin in Berlin's Nutcracker - he's fine! 

Endorse all that Bruce says about Ratmansky Bayadere it was wonderful. I saw Ksenia Ovsyanikov and Marian  Walter. The run is sold out so I hope it returns next season. Definitely a must see. In fact I'd love The Lowry to invite Berlin SBB over here with it!! Wishful thinking....

• Like 3

Last summer Mr. Drewco's work brought me to London and I was able to see the Royal Ballet--this summer it appears my own work may bring me to Manchester just as the Bolshoi season gets underway. Since that would cover my airfare I'm thinking of tagging on a few extra days in London to see the Bolshoi despite some disappointment with the choice of repertory they are bringing.  (I last saw them in 2014 in New York). 

However, the prices are a bit of a blow, if not an entirely unexpected one. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

Pricing is now up (spoiler alert: not cheap):

Good grief, it's obviously contagious!  £37 for side amphi seats?  But even more worrying, are they seriously proposing charging the same price for certain seats and all standing?!

3 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I'm pretty sure the side amphi seats were £36 when the Mariinsky were  here a couple of years ago.  It's, therefore, "only" a £1 increase!

That’s what my records say.

On the other hand, standing tickets have definitely gone up, at least the SC and Balcony ones: what I paid £15 for is now £21 in both places.

If they were bringing something amazing I might have splurged for one or two performances.....but nothing is enticing me enough I'm afraid.  Like Penelope, I will save the money and use it for the RB, BRB, ENB or any other company with a rep I want to see at prices I can afford!

• Like 3

If I can get SCS I'll probably run to one Spartacus (which I've never seen) and one Bright Stream (which I saw when they brought it for the Shostakovich centenary in 2006, long before I started going to ballet regularly, because I like Shostakovich).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, RuthE said:

If I can get SCS I'll probably run to one Spartacus (which I've never seen) and one Bright Stream (which I saw when they brought it for the Shostakovich centenary in 2006, long before I started going to ballet regularly, because I like Shostakovich).

Exactly my thinking (though I’ve seen Spartacus a few times).

6 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

Yup, Bright Stream only for me and only then if I can get a cheap enough seat. Sorry, there is no way I would pay £37 to stand.

SCS and Balcony standing tickets are £21. Still galling to pay that and have nowhere to park your bottom, though. 

3 minutes ago, alison said:

Well, according to the seating plans on the ROH all the standing appears to be the same price - which is why I commented.  Or have I misread something?

Amphi and lower slips standing is £12 or £15: there’s some disagreement between the various seat maps.

The prices are in the same “band” but when you click on the individual prices within that you can see the different standing tickets highlighted. Amphi and lower slips in the bottom bracket, balcony and stalls circle in the middle one. 

• Like 1

Ah.  I don't know which day of Spartacus I looked on, but as far as I could see yesterday all the standings were showing red for the same price, whichever it was, so either someone's tweaked things since then or there was an error - or I was misreading it.  I thought it didn't make sense.