school shoes help..drdance?

robin64

My dd has been complaining that one of her feet hurts under the arch (the fleshy bit at the bottom of the foot). I thought that her lace-up brogue-type shoes were sensible (as well as fashionable) but I now think that they may be too flat for her. We had a lot of trouble finding shoes which fitted her as she has quite wide feet but is narrow round the ankle. She is too old now for the Mary Jane type of shoes. Apart from changing the shoes, would insoles help support my dd's arches if it is lack of support which is causing the problem? What kind of insoles should I get? She has only had this problem since she started senior school a few weeks ago. I think that the large increase in the weight of her rucksack may have caused or contributed to the problem. If anyone's daughter has feet like my dd's can s/he let me know what shoes his / her daughter wears.

Your GP should be able to refer your daughter to a podiatrist, especially as she's getting some pain. My daughter went to see one locally - didn't take too long to get an appointment - who gave her some insoles and exercises - and you can always think about splashing out on some specially made insoles if it's thought necessary.

• Like 1

Best to get it checked out first (although our experience has been that regular GP's have a tendency to say 'take paracetamol and rest for a few days') and maybe see a physio or podiatrist.

My dd hurt the tendon under her arch last year, and was advised by a physio to wear shoes with a slight heel, as it takes the pressure off the tendon.

Yes, I was going to suggest a check by the physio. It was the physio who suggested that dd should see a podiatrist, who in turn prescribed orthotics.

There are different types of orthotics for different conditions though, so I would not recommend that anyone self diagnoses.

• Like 1

I agree with Spannerandpony - it sounds like a case of plantar fasciitis but I'd recommend a trip to a physio or podiatrist for a thorough assessment. In the mean time, try ice baths or ice massage - use some lotion or oil to do a bit of massage along the fibres of the sole of the foot (from heel to toes and vice versa) for a few minutes, then 2/3 fill an old washing up bowl with cold water and a tray of ice cubes and put the foot in for 10-15 minutes. Not very pleasant but works wonders! Or get a paper or polystyrene cup, fill with water and freeze (upright!). Once frozen, cut the bottom off the cup and use it to massage the base of the foot.

• Like 1