Dance physiotherapist for evaluation

Meglorien

Hello! I'm new here. I have browsed through the contents. My dd is 9. She has applied for the associates at RBS, Tring and Cecchetti last year, and got swl for RBS and yes for both the other two. This year we tried Elmhurst, who said no, and we're trying the RBS junior associates and we will see how that goes. Reading through many posts, I've come across this idea of flat turnout and physio assessments. Since she'd really like to dance at a serious level, I've been looking into how to get a dance physiotherapist to evaluate her physical potential, as other parents have done. I must be a bit slow with this googling business, as I haven't been able to find what I need yet. She's not injured, and most places seem to be for injuries, and ask what kind of treatment we want in the form to request an appointment. How have you found someone to evaluate your dd? Any recommendations? We can get to either London or Birmingham easily. Thanks!

Your daughter is only 9, please bear in mind that no evaluation will tell you what might or might not happen.   

I do worry that children are no longer getting the chance to be children - do think about what you will do following the assessment, either if it is perceived as positive or negative.  And how many of us really knew what we wanted to do at 9? (my choices:  zoo keeper or archeologist.)

To use a musical analogy;  My eldest son is the most naturally gifted musician of my children.  However, he hated practice, couldn't be bothered to learn to read the bass clef properly.  His sister, who works her socks off, is the one with a scholarship to music conservatoire.   More important to me was that both have a love of music that will last them a lifetime.  

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

Your daughter is only 9, please bear in mind that no evaluation will tell you what might or might not happen.   

I do worry that children are no longer getting the chance to be children - do think about what you will do following the assessment, either if it is perceived as positive or negative.  And how many of us really knew what we wanted to do at 9? (my choices:  zoo keeper or archeologist.)

To use a musical analogy;  My eldest son is the most naturally gifted musician of my children.  However, he hated practice, couldn't be bothered to learn to read the bass clef properly.  His sister, who works her socks off, is the one with a scholarship to music conservatoire.   More important to me was that both have a love of music that will last them a lifetime.  

I would expect a good dance physio to be sensible and sensitive about the whole business. In fact, I should hope the report to be given to me and let me handle the imparting of information appropriately. I would also expect the physiotherapist to be able to advice on how to improve what can be improved, and make for a cleverer, more efficient daily practice, and hence more time to play.

Obviously this evaluation wouldn't be make or break in any sense. But it'd be a good point of reference to work from. They will make their own evaluation in the exams for the vocational schools anyway, and that's just around the corner.

1 hour ago, Newdancermum said:

This was posted last year - is it of any help?

It says 2013. I tried to find Shirley Hancock before posting, and I wasn't sure where to find her. Then I saw a website, and it also seemed to be only for injuries. But maybe if I phone them, I can get a consultation anyway. Thanks for your reply.

1 hour ago, Meglorien said:

It says 2013. I tried to find Shirley Hancock before posting, and I wasn't sure where to find her. Then I saw a website, and it also seemed to be only for injuries. But maybe if I phone them, I can get a consultation anyway. Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps @Annasophia can comment more as she used her in 2017.  I could suggest an evaluation by a "good" teacher, perhaps someone who teaches on a top associates but have no idea how you would go about it. DD's friend's Mum met an ex top level professional through their dance school who was able to help in a very general way but wasn't prepared to say too much as a lot is down to the work put in and the development of the dancer into teenage years. You do have to bear in mind that each programme and school is looking for something different and just because you don't tick the boxes for one place does mean you wont make it elsewhere.  Potential problems should be picked up by good teachers but as we heard already in another post things are not always picked up.  Sorry if this is ramble and not helpful but I feel this links to potential which is something we all wonder about for our DC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balletmummy said:

I think Annette Nicholson up in Birmingham advertised something similar in Dancing Times recently.

These are carried out by dance clinic.co.uk, I believe it may be Phil Birch who actually carries out the assessments - he is amazing! There is a thread about him on here somewhere. Two future dates in the near future for Birmingham - I'm guessing to be held at Annette's studio. Details on the website. 

• Like 1

Students at The Hammond have the chance to be assessed by Pro Physio plus in Chester and the report we receive shows your child’s results anonymously within their peer group e.g. the range of turnout your child has on each side and how this compares on a scale to the other students in the year. The recommendations for performance improvement at the end have been scant, but if you were paying for this on a 1:1 basis, maybe this would be developed. I would be happy to scan and email you a copy of my dd’s report if you wanted to see the format to consider if it would help you. 

• Like 1

Sharon Morrison Physio is based in Sutton Coldfield and was part of the Elmhurst physio team for a long time, she offers private pre pointe assessment as well as general physio so she would be someone to consider for an evaluation 

Edited by Clarkd3
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2018 at 14:12, Meglorien said:

‭020 7402 7700‬ here is her number, she works near Marble Arch 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdageKitty said:

Hi! Does anyone have an idea on how much an assessment like this would approximately cost?

Not inexpensive but worth every penny. 

She correctly diagnosed my student daughter’s problem, we avoided what would have been an unnecessary operation (with no guarantee of success) and my daughter now dances professionally. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AdageKitty said:

Hi! Does anyone have an idea on how much an assessment like this would approximately cost?

I'll let you know when I manage to book one. I'm holding on for a bit, with the JA audition coming up and a ballet exam this weekend.

• Like 1