Serious injury and excessive training in young dancers

Danceforfun

Actually the 1-2 hours of IPS per week timetabled is quite misleading as much of the work for the level 6 diploma is done in the students own time - weekly logs, research projects and assignments and it depends very much on the student for how much work they put in. Trinity grades are simply 'pass' or 'fail' -  both quality and quantity of work varies considerably. When my DD did the diploma , some students were handing in an arch lever file per year and others a single arch lever file for the 3 years.

Edited to add - the actual specification for level 6 is roughly a 25:75 split for assessment (theory/practical)

Edited by 2dancersmum

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

Actually the 1-2 hours of IPS per week timetabled is quite misleading as much of the work for the level 6 diploma is done in the students own time - weekly logs, research projects and assignments and it depends very much on the student for how much work they put in. Trinity grades are simply 'pass' or 'fail' -  both quality and quantity of work varies considerably. When my DD did the diploma , some students were handing in an arch lever file per year and others a single arch lever file for the 3 years.

Edited to add - the actual specification for level 6 is roughly a 25:75 split for assessment (theory/practical)

thanks for confirming  what i suspected about  the  requirements  for work in the student;s own time   - much like  those who deride  certain liberal arts  subjects at degree level for 'only' having   8 contact hours   vs the 30 + contact hours of STEM or Pre-reg health professional students ( forgetting that  these contact hour figures include lab / placement  etc  )

if work is just pass / fail   then some  people will be working 'tactically'  rather  than aiming for  specific grades / classifications

8 hours ago, 2dancersmum said:

Whilst I agree in parts. Trinity graduates are mainly awarded a Merit with an occasional Distinction. As of a Graduation ceremony of an MT college in 2015. I’m not aware that anything has changed since. 

Balletbean - My DD also graduated in 2015 - in Professional Dance. We were told that the college itself will assess with pass, merit, distinction but no grade on the actual final qualification from Trinity. Certainly DD's certificate has no grades on it

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 2dancersmum said:

Balletbean - My DD also graduated in 2015 - in Professional Dance. We were told that the college itself will assess with pass, merit, distinction but no grade on the actual final qualification from Trinity. Certainly DD's certificate has no grades on it

That’s interesting. A friend of my DD’s received a Distinction but I never had the opportunity to compare the certificates Wondering if the certificates maybe different colours to reflect the level awarded rather than M or D on it.