Powerhouse Ballet will hold an intensive choreographic workshop on "Waltz of the Flowers" from Act II of "The Nutcracker" at Dance Studio Leeds between 12:00 and 18:00 on Saturday  19 March 2022.   We are always on the lookout for new talent so anyone who would like to attend the workshop will be very welcome.

Further information and a registration link are here.

I shall report on the event here and in Terpsichore next week.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/02/2022 at 17:47, Terpsichore said:

We modelled our company on Chelmsford Ballet.   I know that is still in business because I recently renewed my subscription to it.  They have staged some magnificent full length productions in the past and I am sure they will again. 

I have an update on Chelmsford Ballet.

I received recently an invitation to watch their annual show, Beatrix Potter Tales in association with Frederick Warne & Co, that starts tomorrow in the Chelmsford Civic Theatre and continues until Saturday.  I hope to be there tomorrow night and my review will appear in Terpsichore  a few days later. 

Anybody who wants to attend will find more details in my preview in Terpsichore dated 13 March. 

I attended the first night of Chelmsford Ballet's "Tales of Beatrix Potter" at the city's Civic Theatre on Wednesday night and was very impressed.  It was a very polished production choreographically and technically.

The show started with Beatrix Potter at her desk.  She rose to  her feet and characters from her tales came to life one by one.  Each scene represented a different tale.  All the nursery characters were there: Peter Rabbit, Mrs Tiggy Winkle, Jeremy Fisher, Jemima Puddle Duck and many others.

The sets and costumes were lavish.  Each tale was danced to a different back cloth and I think the artist must have drawn from nature as the scenes reminded me of the gentle rolling hills and woods of rural Essex rather than the fells and lakes of Cumbria.  Each character had its own animal head painstakingly constructed by the wardrobe group.  In previous shows there had been impressive computer generated projections. There was just one in this show representing the pond at the start of this show.

This production shows what can be done by non-professional dancers.  Chelmsford Ballet was the model for Powerhouse Ballet.   I hope that we can stage a show as good as Chelmsford's one day.   

There are two more performances today.   If you live in London, the Home Counties or East Anglia you should try to see one of those shows. 

If you live in the North of England and can get to Leeds by 12:00 today you can join our Nutcracker Intensive Workshop with Jane Tucker.   We have had several cancellations because of covid and have 3 extra spaces at the barre.

For those who are interested, I have reviewed "Tales of  Beatrix Potter" in Terpsichore.