• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 21/06/2018 at 09:03, SJBallet said:

I’m late to this but it sounds fantastic. I’ll be eagerly awaiting the date in July in Yorkshire. 

And watching the whole thing with interest. 

2 hours ago, FullContretemps said:

Sadly can't make 30th, but will be looking forward hopefully being able to be there in July in Yorkshire. Have fun next week :)

The class will be given by Annemarie Donoghue of Northern Ballet Academy. 

I have provisionally booked a studio from 14:00 to 15:30 on Saturday, 28 July and have asked Annemarie whether she is happy with the date, time and place. I have also given her the option of two other dates and studios.   As soon as I hear from her  I will set up an Eventbrite page and mention it here.

You will also find information at www.powerhouseballet.co.uk and in Terpsichore.   Alternatively if you don't have any time for blogs or social media you could send me your name, email or postal address or telephone number and I will send you an email or letter or ring you when something significant occurs - whichever you prefer..

Edited by Terpsichore
  • Like 1

Hi  Terpsichore

Further to the conversation we had on the train a few weeks ago, about a low cost way to get you dancers performing stage, without incurring the substantial cost of a performing venue, by making use of the Ultimate Dance Showcase events.

The only cost incurred is each dancers registration fee of £8.00 for large groups (10 -19 performers)and £10 for small groups(4 – 9 performers), there are other categories too. However your time on stage is limited, if you are competing as you will loose a quarter point for every 5 seconds over your time limit. Maximum time for small groups are 3:00 minutes and large groups 4 minutes. This shouldn’t be too demanding for your less experienced dancers, however there are provisions in the entry for two standards, Novice and Competitive , Novice is for beginning dancers (less than two years) ONLY who have little or no experience competing, the complexity of their dance routine should be based on this.

Dates and venues that may interest you:

BIRMINGHAM 3rd November 2018

LIVERPOOL 22 and 23 June 2019

One point worth noting, there is no provision on site for rehearsing and you will have to make you own arrangements at a local studio. Our UDSC was at their London venue The Greenwood Theatre, so I hired two studio’s within RAD HQ, one for ourselves and the other for our sister contemporary dance company.

Although the event caters for all age groups, the organisers do tend to group similar age groups together, our UDSC was a two day event, adults and teens were on the second day.

For further info go to the Ultimate Dance Showcase Website : https://udsuk.co.uk/

Hope that helps

PS Do say hello to Annemarie for me when you next see her

• Like 1

On 28/06/2018 at 09:12, Michelle_Richer said:

Further to the conversation we had on the train a few weeks ago, about a low cost way to get you dancers performing stage, without incurring the substantial cost of a performing venue, by making use of the Ultimate Dance Showcase events.

Thank you Michelle Richer.

That is a very good suggestion.

One of our members actually comes from Birmingham though I think we would struggle to be ready for that show but the Liverpool dates are just right. Liverpool is also part of the Northern Powerhouse region and our next class but one will take place there.

We were joined by several dancers from Liverpool at our second company class yesterday  which went very well.  We are looking forward to our next class in Leeds on 28 July at 14:00.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Company_class_2018-06-30.jpg

Even though it took place on on of the hottest days of the year, our second company class at the Dancehouse Studios in Manchester on 30 June 2018 was a great success.   Mark Hindle of KNT gave us a very thorough barre and some very exacting centre exercises.  Mark has a good eye for detail and issued some very helpful corrections.   Mark took this photo after the class.  As you can see from our faces, we all had a whale of a time.

Our next company class will take place at Dance Studio Leeds on 28 July 2018 at 14:00.   Annemarie Donoghue of Northern Ballet will train us.  That should be another great class.  Annemarie teaches my over 55 class with endless patience and enormous good humour but she expects the best from each and every one of us and she invariably gets it.   Her class is nearly full but we could probably squeeze in a few more dancers.   I shall bear the studio hire, instructor's fees and public liability insurance while we are establishing ourselves so all you have to do is register on Eventbrite and turn up.   Further information on location, public transport, parking and so forth are available on the Eventbrite page.

Further information is available on the Powerhouse Ballet website at http://www.powerhouseballet.co.uk.

Our first class after the summer holidays will take place at Z Studios at 42 Devon Street in Liverpool on Saturday 22 Sept 2018 between 14:00 and 16:30.  After our usual class with Mark, a distinguished guest teacher and choreographer from the Netherlands will teach us some of her repertoire.   Booking for this very special class will open immediately after the Leeds company class.   We expect it to fill very quickly and we have already had expressions of interest from  two Liverpool dancers.   If anybody from Yorkshire or Manchester wants a lift to and from Liverpool please let me know.   I have room for 3 passengers and I am happy to pick up passengers from Huddersfield railway station and the Dancehouse Theatre in Manchester. 

Edited by Terpsichore
  • Like 2

Our company class in Leeds is now full.   This is the first time I have been able to say that.  I will tell you how it went on Saturday.

We are taking a holiday in August but will be back in September with a special master class by the distinguished Dutch teacher and choreographer Yvonne Charlton which will follow our company class with Mark Hindle on 22 Sept at Z Studios on Devon Street in Liverpool on 22 Sept.   This will be a long class but also a very enjoyable one.   We start warm up exercises at 14:00 prompt and train hard with Mark until 15:30.  After a quick guzzle of water Yvonne will take over to teach us some of her repertoire for another hour.   I have posted a feature on Yvonne to Terpsichore.

Any denizen of Liverpool who wants to take part  will be most welcome.

Also, our good friends in Ballet Black will return to the North in November.   They will dance in the Stan and Audrey on 16 and 17 and the Lowry on 19 and I was thinking of making a group booking at one of those theatres and maybe inviting Cassa Pancho and any of her dancers who may be free to say "Eh up" or "How do" depending on where we are at a convenient moment.    If anyone is interested please let me know which day and venue suits best.

• Like 1

IMG_20180728_153224.jpg

In terms of numbers, yesterday's company class in Leeds was the best ever.   

Everybody had fun. 

Many thanks to our teacher, Annemarie Donoghue of Northern Ballet for an excellent class and to everybody who attended.  Several of our attendees had to travel considerable distances.  One from Colwyn Bay.  Another from Birmingham.   Yet another from Lincoln.   It was good to  see you all.

No class in August as it is a holiday month but we encourage any of our members who is not on holiday - or anyone else who finds him or herself in Manchester on Saturday 18 August - to attend KNT's Day of Dance which is wall to wall dance classes in several styles at the Dancehouse Theatre studios on Oxford Road starting at 10:00 and continuing to 17:00.  I shall attended pre-intermediate ballet at 14:00 to `15:30 and ballet repertoire 15:30 to 17:00.

Our next company class will take place at Z Studios in Liverpool on 22 Sept 2018 at 14:00.   Immediately after our usual 90 minute class with Mark Hindle, we shall welcome Yvonne Charlton of the Jos Dolstra Institute of Dance and Movement at IJsselstein in the Netherlands who will teach us some of her choreography between 15:30 and 16:30.   It will be a long day but great fun.

In the next few weeks I shall enquire about  group bookings for Ballet Black at the Lowry and Stanley and Audrey Burton and for Ballet Cymru who are also coming to the Stan and Audrey soon.   We look forward to seeing both companies.

Several contributors to this website and my blog have enquired about classes for dancers under the age of 18.   Insurance is now in place and we have found a teacher with experience of teaching younger dancers.  Our first class for that age group is likely to take place in Manchester and we shall make an announcement soon.   In the meantime we would encourage younger dancers and their parents and guardians to check out the special classes with Michaela DePrince and Ivan Putrov organized by Danceworks in London.. 

• Like 1

We have commissioned the distinguished choreographer, Terry Etheridge, one of the founder members of what is now Northern Ballet , former artistic director of the Hong Kong Ballet and resident choreographer of Duchy Ballet (one of the two companies that inspired us to set up Powerhouse Ballet) to create a ballet especially for our debut in Manchester.

Terry will be in Leeds on 15 Sept to hold an audition at Dance Studio Leeds between 15:30 and 17:00 where he will select his cast.   He will create the ballet around the cast the next day.   Any subscriber to this website wants to find out more about the audition or our debut in Manchester can check out our Eventbrite page.

By coincidence, a work by Mlindi Kulashe, one of Terry's students will be performed as part of its Mixed Programme by Terry's former company in Leeds on 15 Sept immediately after the audition.   Terry has graciously accepted my invitation to attend the show as my guest that evening,

• Like 2

Just a quick update for those who may be interested in our new ballet company.  

The  new ballet that we have commissioned Terry Etheridge to create will be called "Aria" and will be set to the music of the French composer Claude Bolling.   The brilliant young designer. Amelia Sierevogel,  will create our costumes.  I should add that Amelia is also a good dancer.

An audition will take place on 15 Sept at Dance Studio Leeds. Terry has persuaded  David Plumpton to play for us.   So many dancers have applied to audition for our new ballet that we had to move our class to the biggest studio in the  building but even that space is now full.   Terry is looking for at least 2 gentlemen and between 4 and 6 ladies.   As we are full I am quite happy to relinquish my place in the class to a promising young dancer should any apply.    Anybody elsewill have to go on the waiting list.

I shall tell you how we get on after 16 Sept. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Registration is open for our company class in Liverpool which is our most ambitious event yet:
-    a full 90 minutes class with Mark Hindle of KNT; and

-   a special 60 minutes masterclass from Yvonne Charlton of the Jos Dolstra Institute of Dance and Movement in the Netherlands who will teach is some of her repertoire.

There will also be a rehearsal for our show.

The class will take place at Z Studios on 42 Devon Street which is half a mile from Lime Street station at 14:00 on 22 Sept 2018.

Admission is free but attendees must register for the event in advance.   Information about the event is available here and the link to the registration page is here.

We are already a third full so don't leave it too late.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A quick reminder that the audition for our first ballet takes place at Dance Studio Leeds on 15 Sept at 16:00.   A big thank you and toi-toi to all who have registered for it.

I have arranged a 30 minute warm-up class immediately before the audition for those who want it.

Those coming to Leeds for the audition may want to stay for Northern Ballet's mixed bill at the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre.  There are new works by Morgann Runacre-Temple,  Mlindi Kulashe and Kenneth Tindall.   According to the theatre website there are still 14 tickets left.    

• Like 1

Terry Etheridge held an audition for our first ballet on Saturday and selected 8 of our number for his cast.   David Plumpton played the piano for us.  As we had a few last minute cancellations I took the class. It was an unforgettable experience even though I was not auditioning and it must have been particularly memorable for those who were.

Yesterday he crafted a beautiful ballet for which we hope to perform at The Dancehous in Manchester in February.   Now the hard work of converting this choreography into a show begins.  Our first rehearsal takes place at Liverpool on 22 Jan.  Mark Hindle of KNT and Yvonne Charlton of Jos Dolstra Dance Institute will be in the audience and Janet McNulty said that she would consider watching us.

• Like 2

On 18/09/2018 at 09:47, Kate_N said:

Brava! and Toi toi toi for the show.

Thank you very much. 

The date for the show in which we had intended to perform Terry Etheridge's work has been put back to May but we have our company class, masterclass and first rehearsal to look forward to in the great city of Liverpooon Saturday and our workshop with Ballet Cymru on 28 Nov to look forward to.

I will keep subscribers to this website posted.

• Like 1

IMG-2319.jpg

Yvonne Charlton with her Don Quixote repertoire class

Last Saturday's company class in Liverpool was our best day yet.

After 90 minutes company class with Mark Hindle, Yvonne Charlton of Jos Dolstra Dance Institute in the Netherlands taught us a dance from Don Quixote that she had created for her own adult dancers.  It was not easy.  I can;t say that we got it right.  But it was great fun and we all had a jolly good try.

We also rehearsed the new ballet that Terry Etheridge has created for us.

We now look forward to our next company class in Leeds with Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet Academy. 

Edited by Terpsichore
Correcting stylistic error (repetition of the words "The Netherlands" in the same sentence and italicizing "Don Quixoye")
  • Like 2

Our next company class takes place at Dance Studio Leeds on Saturday 27 Oct 2018 at 15:00.  

It will be given by Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet Academy.   Jane's classes ate never easy but they are always fun.   It was Jane who gave us such a great start in May (see  We have a Company  27 May 2018 Powerhouse Ballet website).

The studio can take 25 dancers and 20 places were booked in the first few hours.   There will be cancellations and no shows so we can still fit in the odd one or two at the barre,   All you have to do is clink this link and fill in the simple online registration form which requires only your name and email address.   We particularly welcome dancers who have not yet trained with us.

Dancers come from all parts of the North and a few from even further afield.   Some of our strongest dancers come from North Wales and I am thinking of holding a class or staging a show in that principality.   We already have a strong link with Ballet Cymru, Wales national classical ballet company.   Our November event with be a workshop with that company when they visit Leeds.

At present classes are fee though that will change when we set up the company on a formal basis.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

We welcomed back Jane Tucker  for our October company class in Leeds on Saturday. She had given us our first company class in May when 11 dancers turned up. She got twice that number on Saturday. Attendees travelled in from North Wales in the west, Ripon in the north, Filey and Scarborough in the east and Birmingham in the south.  As  I said in my report on our website, I am so proud of those dancers.

For the first time we held a pointe class which nearly everybody joined.  Though there were variations in expertise they all looked confident and poised.  

After class we held a rehearsal of the ballet that Terry Etheridge has created for us and that is becoming very polished too.

We are now about to set up a charitable incorporated organization to run the company and launch a Powerhouse Ballet circle on the lines of the London Ballet circle to enable those who support dance education in the region but do not wish to attend class a chance to participate in our  activities.

Our next event will be a workshop with Ballet Cymru on 28 Nov followed by a launch of the circle (we may change that name) at Yorkshire Dance in  Leeds.   

Our next company class will be given by Karen Sant of KNT in Manchester on 1 Dec.

• 4 weeks later...

We shall host a workshop for adult ballet students to  be given by Ballet Cymru at Yorkshire Dance at 3 St Peter's Square, Leeds, LS9 8AH on 28 Nov 2018 between 18:00 and 19:30 at which they will teach us some of the choreography for their latest ballet "A Child's Christmas in Wales".  If you have not already signed up for the workshop and would like to come  you can register here,

Immediately after the workshop, we are throwing a party for the company in Martha's room at Yorkshire Dance between 19:30 and 21:00 at which we shall launch the Powerhouse Ballet Circle which hopes to raise funds for ballet charities in the North and elsewhere by holding talks, arranging visits to companies and ballet schools and  similar events much in the way that the London Ballet Circle does in the capital.   If you want to attend the reception but not the workshop you can register here.

If you cannot attend our launch we hope to welcome you to some of our others.   Our next guest is likely to be Yoko Ichino of Northern Ballet who will tell us about her illustrious career and famous training method.  As soon as we have fixed a date and time we shall advertise it on our website.

• Like 2

We are holding our last company class of the year at the Dancehouse Theatre studios in Manchester at 13:30 on 1 Dec 2018 and it should be a good one.  It will be taken by Karen Sant who is principal of KNT Danceworks.  She is an excellent teacher with very high standards but also abundant patience.

Like all our classes until February entry to this class is free and newcomers are always welcome.

The class will consist of the usual barre exercises and centre work and there will be an optional 30-minute pointe class for those who want it at the end.

Finally, there will be a rehearsal of "Aria" for cast members and reserves.

If you are free on Saturday and should like to attend, please register here.  

• Like 1

Last night's workshop with Ballet Cymru at Yorkshire Dance was a great success. It was one of the most challenging but also one of  my  most enjoyable experinces in ballet.  The reason it was challenging is that we had to use our minds as well as our bodies. For me, and I am sure for others, it was a first experience of choreography.

After the workshop, Darius James and his company were our guests for the launch of the Powerhouse Ballet Circle.  We have tried to model this activity on the London Ballet Circle except that I did not use notes and kept the questions short and sweet. Darius told us about his childhood in Wales, his early training in Newport and at the Royal Ballet School, his work at Northern Ballet (or Northern Dance Theatre as it was then known)in Hulme  where the only smenity was a chop shop that served chips with gravy, the formation of Ballet Cymru, its achievements and plans for the future.

Ballet Cymru are performing at the Stan and Audrey Burton Theatre in Leeds this evening and at Bango University arts centre on Sturday.   If you have not yet seen the company, cancel whatever plans you have for this evening or Sturday and get over to one or other of those theatres. These artists are good. 

Dame Nonette de Valois was the first president of the London Ballet Circle and was very proud of it.  It has done much for dance in London and the South of England and we hope to be equally supportive in the North.   Our next guest is likely to be Yoko Ichino who has accepted our invitation in priniple .   I shall notify subscribers to this website of the date, time and venue as soon as we have arranged them.

Powerhouse Ballet Circle's next event is a 90 minute class and 30 minute pointe class on Saturday at the Dancehouse Studios on Oxford Road in Manchester  at 13:30 with Karen Sant of KNT.  Karen is an excellent teacher but her classes are never easy.   For more details, see our website at www.powerhouseballet.com.   I have posted a report on last night's workshop and Powerhouse Ballet Circle launch to my blog.

Edited by Terpsichore
correcting a typo
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday, Karen Sant, the principal of KNT Danceworks invited Powerhouse Ballet to dance in her 10th-anniversary show at the Dancehouse in Manchester on 4 May 2019. That is a great honour because KNT's reputation in Manchester is second to none. It will be a great opportunity to raise the company to a new level. Karen gave us our last company class and it was one of the best ever.

Our next company class takes place at Dance Studio Leeds between 15:00 and 16:30 tomorrow.  It will be given by Fiona Noonan who trained at the Queensland Ballet's school in Brisbane.  Fiona is a good friend as well as a teacher. It was she who led me back to the barre many years after I first took up ballet as an undergraduate at St Andrews. Having sat in on Terence Etheridge's audition and participated in our workshop with Ballet Cymru she has a pretty shrewd idea of where we need to improve.  She has already indicated that we shall do centre barre to build up strength, balance and stamina and she will be work on every kind of turn and jump.  Her class is pretty full but we always have a few dropouts and no-shows.  If you want to have a lot of fun and learn something you will be most welcome if you let me know by registering here,

On 23 Feb 2019, we welcome Yvonne Charlton of the Jos Dolstra Dance Institute in IJsselstein in the Netherlands who will teach is her own piece, Morning from Grieg's Peer Gynt.   She will hold a company class at the Dancehouse studios in Manchester on 23 Feb between 13:30 and 15:00 and then a workshop in Leeds from 09:00 to 14:00 the next day.  In the longer term, we plan a workshop in Mold and of course, we shall be working on our piece for KNT's 10th-anniversary gala.

49282219_2029623537338225_2377342648345165824_n.jpg.fb4a6f9d84c3ab40d5962fb5ba40f131.jpg

Yesterday's company class was given by Fiona Noonan of Leeds Centre of Advanced Training.  She was the teacher who led me back to ballet nearly half a century after my last class.  She is an exponent of Les Mills and a qualified progressive ballet technique instructor as well as an excellent classical ballet.  She trained at the Queensland Ballet's School in Brisbane and danced with the company for a while.

Fiona had attended Terry Etheridge's audition in September and danced with us in Ballet Cymru's workshop in November so she knew us very well. She advised me that we needed to work on strength, stamina and balance and recommended centre barre as a strengthening exercise.  Dispensing with the barre was far from easy.  Even simple exercises like plies and tendus were challenging and I struggled with the harder ones like frappes.  But we had a great workout and I could see the benefit.  Centre barre is more time consuming than wall mounted barre so we had to cram a lot of the conventional centre exercises into the remaining time.  

Next month we welcome back Yvonne Charlton of the Jos Dolstra Dance Institute in the Netherlands who gave us the best class to date in Liverpool last September.  She will conduct the company class in Manchester on 23 Feb and a full day workshop on her own ballet in Leeds on 24 Feb.  I shall post the registration page to both events on Eventbrite soon.  Early booking is strongly recommended.

• 5 months later...

Just a quick update!

We danced in our first public performance at the Dancehouse Theatre in Manchester on 4 May as guests of KNT at its 10th anniversary gala.   Our ballet "Aria" was choreographed by the well known choreographer and teacher, Terry Etheridge.

We celebrated our first anniversary on 26 May 26 May with a great company class at Yorkshire Dance in Leeds with Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet and David Plumpton on the piano.

David played for us again at the Dancehouse studios with Karen Sant as our guest ballet mistress on 29 June which turned out to be one of the hottest days of the year. It was also one of our happiest classes  ever.

Tomorrow, Annemarie Donoghue of Northern Ballet will put us through our paces at the Dance Studio Leeds between 13:30 and 15:00. Alena Panasenka, one of the top pianists at Northern Ballet, will play for us.

We are now rehearsing our second piece which has been created to "Morning Mood" from Grieg's Peer Gynt by the Dutch choreographer and teacher, Yvonne Charlton.  Our ballet mistress for this work is Fiona Noonan and her next rehearsal will take place at Huddersfield Leisure Centre on Saturday 3 Aug 2019 between 11:30 and 13:30.  Yvonne will return to the UK on 21 and 22 Sept to give us another intensive workshop on this piece at the Dancehouse and we have engaged David to play for her again.   We plan to dance "Morning" in Leeds on 12 Oct.

We welcome anybody who wants to work with us of any age, ability, body shape or experience.   We hold talks , workshops and visits as well as classes and performances.   If anyone wan ts to take part in tomorrow's company class, contact us through our website at www.powerhouseballet.co.uk  . 

• 9 months later...

Like everybody else, we have been excluded from our studio by the need for social distancing. We were to have had a 7 hour workshop on the snowflakes scene at the end of the first act of "The Nutcracker" on 14 March but I had to cancel it at the last moment because I did not want to risk my dancers contracting COVID-19. As HMG had not started social distancing t the time our cancellation insurance did not cover us so I had to pay the teacher and studio out of my own pocket.  It was, however, just as well that I did because one of our members fell ill the very next day with all the symptoms of the infection,   As she is a very affectionate person who wants to hug all around her we might well have had a serious problem.   Happily I can report that the dancer made a full and rapid recovery.

Obviously we had to cancel our company classes for March and April and I wondered what would become of us at the end of the lockdown.

Just over 2 weeks ago, Maria Chugai of the Dutch National Ballet offered us an online class over Zoom.  Since Maria is one of my favourite dancers I jumped at the offer.   She held the class on 21 April and despite my inexperience with Zoom it went pretty well,   We were all thrilled.   I was also quite emotional when the faces of our members appeared one by one over Zoom.   It was the first time I had seen them since our last company class on 29 Feb.

The success of Maria's class showed what we could do,   I arranged another online class with Charlotte Ingleson of Ballet North UK in Halifax on 2 May 2020 and it was a great success. The feedback from dancers was phenomenal.

Spurred on by the success of Maria and Charlotte's classes I have booked two more with Jane Tucker of Northern Ballet on 16 and 30 May at 11:00.  Although I am limiting access to Zoom to 20 and giving priority to Powerhouse Ballet members if we have any spare places users of this website will be welcome to join us.

Another service that we have started is "Stage Door" in which I interview a dancer, choreographer, composer or other artist to keep fans in touch with their favourites.   We started with Gavin McCaig on Sunday 3 May and we will continue with Maria Chugain at 15:00 on 10 May.    Again, users of this website are cordially invited,.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Just to say that our online classes with Jane Tucker proved to be a great success.  Since then we have had two classes with Sophie Richardson of the Association of Russian Ballet and Theatre Arts on 7 and 14 June.

Our next online class is with Beth Meadway of Ballet Cymru at 12:30 on 28 June 2020.   We have quite a few extra spaces at the barre as many of our members are taking advantage of the relaxation of the social distancing restrictions.   We therefore welcome adult ballet students from any part of the world for Beth's class.   You can register by here.

We have scheduled two more classes on 11 and 25 July and then we shall close until September.   I shall post details here and on the company website.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is the first time I have been able to arrange for my company a masterclass with a former principal ballerina of one of the world;s great ballet companies.

Shannon Lilly became a principal of San Francisco Ballet at the age of 23, one of America's oldest and most prestigious ballet companies.  She also danced with Northern Ballet Theatre when Christopher Gable was its director and the Ballet du Rhin under Bertrand D'At.  She was one of our guests at the Stage Door last May and I reported our conversation in Shannon Lilly at the Stage Door on 31 May 2020,

She has now agreed to give us an online masterclass between 11:00 and 12:30 on Saturday.   This is a unique opportunity for members of amateur companies like ours or adult ballet students everywhere.   If you want to join us, please register here.    There is no charge as the event is sponsored by NIPC Law.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

The last two years have been tough for everyone in the arts but they have been particularly hard for adult ballet students who long to perform in public.  However, throughout the pandemic we continued to hold company classes every month - first online and later in the studio.  We never stopped moving and we stayed together.

Now that the country is emerging from lockdown Powerhouse Ballet can plan for the future. 

My immediate aim is to stage a mixed bill which will include Terence Etheridge's 
Aria, Yvonne Charlton's Morning, Waltz of the Flowers and Snowflakes from The Nutcracker and part of the wilis' choreography from Act II of Giselle

In the medium term, we plan to set up an associates class and I have engaged the assistance of someone with considerable experience in that area to advise me.   

Eventually, we shall seek charitable status for which we shall need trustees, a business manager and a full-time artistic director.

If you are an adult ballet student in the North of England who longs to perform before an audience you would be very welcome to join us at our company class.   The next one will take place this Saturday at Dance Studio Leeds between 15:30 and 17:00;.

37 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

Can someone please establish something like this in the South of England.....is there anything already???

We modelled our company on Chelmsford Ballet.   I know that is still in business because I recently renewed my subscription to it.  They have staged some magnificent full length productions in the past and I am sure they will again.  There are several other companies up and down the country including some in London.

Until that happens we have a teacher and several members in London and we should be happy to stage a class to which you and/or others would be welcome.   

• Like 1