Film soundtracks

taxi4ballet

I was listening to a programme on Classic FM the other day about the composer John Williams - what marvellous music and such an incredible variety of atmosphere and moods.

It got me thinking about film soundtracks, and I'm wondering which film music others on this forum enjoy.

Over to you...!

• Like 2

Well, I tend not to buy soundtrack albums but some old favourites are Saturday Night Fever, Dirty Dancing, Swing and the soundtrack for a punk film that I never saw called That Summer.

I also very much like the soundtrack to John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 (and that film, come to think of it).

• Like 2

Talking about John Williams, I think the only ever soundtrack album I bought was Superman - The Movie. I think that was one of his. It's still sitting in the record cabinet.

Apart from that, and leaving aside all the "cheats" which just re-hash existing songs, I'd also say the Korngold Adventures of Robin Hood (I think that's the title - it's the Errol Flynn one, anyway).

Korngold was a good composer in his own right but escaped to the USA to escape the Nazis. No one in the US believed there was such a thing as a non-Nazi German or Austrian and the only work he could find as a composer was in Hollywood. He hated his film music which he regarded as hack work only undertaken to feed his family (with thanks to my eldest's godfather who is a profession musician with an interest in film music).

• 4 weeks later...

DH is voting member of BAFTA so we get lots of soundtracks sent to us. Particular favourites:

Michael Nyman'sThe Piano

James Newton Howard's Peter Pan (cry at the ending of that film every time- even tho have watched about 100 times with kids...)

Thomas Newman Road to Perdition

Theme song from True Romance- credited to Hans Zimmer but actually an adaptation of Carl Orffs Gassenhauer

soundtrack to Get Shorty- great flim, great vibes

Mobys Extreme Ways written for the Bourne films

Danny Elfman- The Corpse Bride, Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands

Bruno Coulais Coraline (you can tell that as a family our tastes run to gothic romances!)

Most recent family favourite is the soundtrack to Inception- mostly Hans Zimmer but some others too.. and we all love the Inception button which can be downloaded form the internet (you have to have seen the film!!!)

• Like 2

I love the Star Wars soundtrack (again John Williams), and the brilliant use of Gershwin's music in Woody Allen's masterpiece, Manhattan (especially a particularly splendid version of Rhapsody in Blue).

Despite being atrocious movies, the Twilight films had interesting bands on their soundtracks

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I like a track called In The House – In A Heartbeat, Liverpool composer John Murphy It's from from 28 Days Later and is also music for the Strongbow Pear Advert which is where I heard it and I had to google it.

I would like to be able to know the name of the artist and title of the piece of music/song during television programmes. At least at the end of a film there are the credits. Usually I am desperately trying to read as the credits roll up at an incredibly fast speed. It is possible to google films but I have not found it possible to track down (sorry about the pun) songs/music in television programmes. If there is a way, please let me know. :)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...