Are there some people who just can’t do ballet pirouettes?

Sometimes I do think a psychological block can build up with pirouettes. 

I used to be able to do two reasonably confidently when younger but since I've returned to ballet admittedly with a very long gap I can only do one! Because of performing with a group I've even at my age had a couple of private lessons on pirouettes ( in London) which were very helpful ( it is difficult to keep asking in a class) and I sort of do know the mechanics of them .....it's somehow bringing everything together and this is where the block can come in I think.

For example I know in my case that it's keeping the knee up and back ( turned out) in retiree which is stopping more than one happenening. Now I can balance perfectly okay in a retiree .....when practising without turning.....so what is stopping me holding the knee up for just a fraction longer to complete another turn.....just my own mental downers I think....I seem to be telling myself I can't do two turns!! Not helpful.

I did have an Achilles injury not long after returning to ballet which held things up for about 9 months and don't know whether this has anything to do with it.....even though now I can get up on high Demi perfectly well to balance etc

Whether there is some mental left over from this injury which keeps me being TOO  careful I'm not sure ...has your daughter had any injuries in recent years? 

Interestingly was at the Ultimate Dance Showcase yesterday with lots of talented young people performing and in one of the groups there were a couple of really good boys in a jazz piece doing multiple very fast pirouettes but they are almost more like spins in this style so I do think the balletic ones where each turn of a multiple has to be clearly shown are more difficult. 

Would like to know how your DD gets on with this though in a GCSE year probably not the most important thing to worry about!!

• Like 1

This might sound crackers, but my multiple pirouettes really significantly improved after I took a heel work class - it turns out that by wearing heels (not even particularly big ones - 2' - 3' would do) I could get my weight into the right place, and turn far better. Could your DD try ballet pirouettes in heels, as bonkers as that sounds? After a few weeks of turning triples in heels, I was able to work out where my weight needed to be and translate that back into flat ballet shoes. 

• Like 3

Hi everyone! 

I’m having problems with my pirouettes too. When I releve I’ve always had a little ricochet - so I’ll snatch up to a high Demi, then go down a bit and then stabilise back where I was. Does that make sense? Surely it’s got to be throwing my turns off? I believe I have strong ankles and I remember a teacher pointing this ricochet out to me about 10yrs who, so it’s probably been with me forever. I also have a tendancy to rise into a pirouette rather than releve, which I’m wondering has developed subconsciously due to the ricochet? 

Any ideas on cause or correction please? Thank you! X

I normally useless at pirouettes but last night I managed a double. The last time I did a double was probably 7 or 8 years ago. Go me!  (I doubt there will be another for awhile, but I remain hopeful...)

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, trog said:

I normally useless at pirouettes but last night I managed a double. The last time I did a double was probably 7 or 8 years ago. Go me!  (I doubt there will be another for awhile, but I remain hopeful...)

sometimes they just come from nowhere  - i did one of Mondayy night that actually needed me to 'stop' it  at a single  rather than worry  am i goning to get round  anywhere near  clean .. 

• Like 3

On 4/25/2018 at 12:10, Nicola H said:

sometimes they just come from nowhere  - i did one of Mondayy night that actually needed me to 'stop' it  at a single  rather than worry  am i goning to get round  anywhere near  clean .. 

and no  i wouldn;t have got   even half way  round ...  but i do  find  taking a second class each week is helping, just a shame  that  the only other  classes that work with my  workschedule and diary are 35 ish  miles each way  ( fortunately though work is   18 miles  in the correct direction   when going to  class after work or  before a late shift )

25 minutes ago, Lisa O`Brien said:

When someone DOES master doubles and triples you'll often find that going back to doing a single is really hard. It takes a lot of control to limit yourself to just the one. Ditto doing half turns. 

which is perhaps when a certain ballet master  likes to  set quarter  and hlaf  turns  in his classes ... 

• Like 2

On ‎26‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 22:12, Lisa O`Brien said:

When someone DOES master doubles and triples you'll often find that going back to doing a single is really hard. It takes a lot of control to limit yourself to just the one. Ditto doing half turns. 

I can't say I've ever had that problem! :lol:

I always struggled with piroutettes but didn't have a problem with other turns. My breakthrough came when we did an exercise with pirouettes from second. Suddenly something clicked and my pirouettes improved immeasurably.

Really interesting point about heels, balletchick. I've never thought about that beore but it makes sense. I've always had problems wearing and walking in heels (never mind dancing in them) as I've always disliked being tall so I've avoided them as much as possible!

• Like 1

Looking at it from another angle. 

DD was so excited on Saturday having completed 5 pirouettes in one go. She called it a quintuple. But her teacher missed it. Twice!!! Dancers worst nightmare. 

Whilst pirouttes are a great achievement no matter how many (clean) ones are executed they are not worth anything unless someone else sees it. 😉😂

Practice practice practice with a strong core and fingers crossed the teacher is watching 🤞🏼 🙆‍♀️   

• Like 7