Royal Ballet: Obsidian Tear, Marguerite and Armand, Elite Syncopations, Spring 2018

I thought Richardson/Ball were terrific in Obsidian (Sissens/Ella at the rehearsal were equally powerful) but I agree with Sim that Bracewell lacked the leader's presence - I think he has yet to fully develop the McGregor style. I also thought that in the rehearsal cast Hay and Sambe had far more impact than their first cast equivalents - can't be sure who was who because the order is different on the rehearsal cast sheet. 

M & A was a disappointment. Yes Nunez & Muntagirov danced beautifully (although in his case not without a few little wobbles) but no raw emotion reached me from the stage. Nunez seemed far too overwrought, perhaps her choice of portrayal, perhaps with the effort of trying to extract a Nureyev from Muntagirov.  I'm sure Muntagirov poured his heart and soul into the performance but for me he's simply not a natural passionate presence. I felt that he could learn something from Bonelli/Shklyarov about transmitting to the back of the auditorium a hugely intense emotional fervour simply in the way they run on stage, even just stand still; and then there's the outpouring of grief as the curtain falls. 

• Like 3

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, annamk said:

Nunez seemed far too overwrought, perhaps her choice of portrayal, perhaps with the effort of trying to extract a Nureyev from Muntagirov.

Interestingly, I thought so too when I attended their dress rehearsal (which was SO long before their first performance!) but did not find this to be the case last night.

45 minutes ago, annamk said:

I also thought that in the rehearsal cast Hay and Sambe had far more impact than their first cast equivalents

True, yes - I think that added to my overall impression of clarity.  I'd forgotten to mention them.

• Like 1

I am going to leave my thoughts on performances until I have seen more M and As.

However, in view of the comments on here last year and this, I am wondering whether we all realise sufficiently how fiendishly difficult the choreography is for Armand? It was made on Nureyev, who turned both ways and most of the current exponents do not naturally do that.

Incidentally, this is the fourth or fifth run in which Bonelli has danced Armand, so he should have a slight advantage over the newcomers.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

I think she has a cold physicality which worked tremendously well in Woolf Works but didn't cut the mustard in M &A where the passion needs to overcome the coldness.

That's now how I experience Ferri at all. I think she has a kind of beauty and melancholy at her core that radiates out through her pliant and superbly expressive body.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, annamk said:

I thought Richardson/Ball were terrific in Obsidian (Sissens/Ella at the rehearsal were equally powerful) but I agree with Sim that Bracewell lacked the leader's presence - I think he has yet to fully develop the McGregor style. I also thought that in the rehearsal cast Hay and Sambe had far more impact than their first cast equivalents - can't be sure who was who because the order is different on the rehearsal cast sheet. 

M & A was a disappointment. Yes Nunez & Muntagirov danced beautifully (although in his case not without a few little wobbles) but no raw emotion reached me from the stage. Nunez seemed far too overwrought, perhaps her choice of portrayal, perhaps with the effort of trying to extract a Nureyev from Muntagirov.  I'm sure Muntagirov poured his heart and soul into the performance but for me he's simply not a natural passionate presence. I felt that he could learn something from Bonelli/Shklyarov about transmitting to the back of the auditorium a hugely intense emotional fervour simply in the way they run on stage, even just stand still; and then there's the outpouring of grief as the curtain falls. 

Interesting comment about Muntagirov,Anna.  I’ve wanted to say for some time that he lacks passion but he is a bit of a sacred cow on this forum.  His dancing is magnificent and his name on a cast list puts spring in my step, but so far he has never moved me in the way that others - Watson, Bonelli, Ball, Hay  - nearly always do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, penelopesimpson said:

Interesting comment about Muntagirov,Anna.  I’ve wanted to say for some time that he lacks passion but he is a bit of a sacred cow on this forum.  His dancing is magnificent and his name on a cast list puts spring in my step, but so far he has never moved me in the way that others - Watson, Bonelli, Ball, Hay  - nearly always do.

I wouldn’t say he’s a sacred cow - not everyone is going to like the same artists. For me, Muntagirov has a more subtle, gentle and adoring approach to similar roles, that, for me personally, moves me more than some more overtly passionate performances. It works very well in roles like Des Grieux, for instance.

It will be interesting to see his Armand next week with everyone’s comments in mind! 🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Balletfanp said:

For me, Muntagirov has a more subtle, gentle and adoring approach to similar roles, that, for me personally, moves me more than some more overtly passionate performances. It works very well in roles like Des Grieux, for instance.

I haven't seen his Armand, but I'm guessing he doesn't chew too much scenery in the role. However, the word "ardent" has been used about Shklyarov, and I think it can usefully be applied to Muntagirov as well.

I know that people here like to see established partnerships (and I do too!) but perhaps it might benefit him and the audience to see more of Muntagirov *not* partnering Nunez: it was great to see him partnering Osipova in Sylvia when Bonelli was injured, for example, though it did feel as if she had him on loan, IYSWIM. Other partners can bring out different sides of a dancer.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Lizbie1 said:

However, the word "ardent" has been used about Shklyarov, and I think it can usefully be applied to Muntagirov as well.

Yes - “ardent!” An excellent description, and probably what I meant to say when I was rambling on! Gentler than “passionate” but no less effective in my eyes - I prefer it, in fact.

• Like 1

Have only seen Ferri/Bonelli, but I wonder if some of the current casts tend to play it very much as a grand tragedy whereas Cuthbertson/Ball make it into a more human story? The opera.is nearly always given the full grand opera treatment, but I remember seeing it at the Innsbruck opera house,where it was played as a simpler, more human tragedy and it was very effective.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Oh my. Oh my.  Cuthbertson/Ball in M&A.  Utterly sensational!

I quite agree. The rehearsal video primed me for seeing them and they did not disappoint! 

Was it just me or did Elite Syncopations well and truly shrug off the slightly dusty feeling it occasionally has tonight? Takada, easily the smallest dancer on the stage, grabs your attention the second she moves, and she moves with such decisiveness. Clare Calvert was full of sass (I have only seen Laura Morera dance this better) and Sambe sailed (literally) through 'Friday Night'.

I want to give particular mention to Luca Acri and Meaghan Grace Hinkis, who were so cute in 'The Golden Hours' I could have wept. Perfect combination of neat steps, great characterisation and really being on the music. Plus Acri basically looks like he is suspended in mid air when he jumps. 

It was a great performance of this piece which is often more of a miss than hit for me, and I came away buzzing (as did many others, judging by the cheers!) 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sim said:

Oh my. Oh my.  Cuthbertson/Ball in M&A.  Utterly sensational!

Oh blast.  I totally forgot - I'd been going to grab a cheap ticket and go again :(  Blame it on RB overload.

Yes, last night's mixed bill was a terrific evening. I was dog tired, but so glad i managed to last the night!

Interesting new combos (for me) in Obsidian Tear made you look again at it, and I once again liked what I saw. The Cuthbertson/Ball pairing in M&A (which I often find drearily over-dramatic) was a sensation. Think its the first time I've enjoyed the piece for ages. And I echo the sentiments of earlier posters of what fun Elite Syncopations was.

• Like 6

I only went for M & A last night and am very glad that I did. What an electrifying partnership (more of them together please), what a fabulous performance, full of passion but nothing overdone. Matthew Ball danced and partnered beautifully but much more than that, he poured his heart and soul into a principal worthy performance. Lauren was the perfect Marguerite, cool and curious in the opening scene then swiftly abandoning herself to Ball's ardent and romantic Armand; the scenes between Marguerite and Armand's father (superbly portrayed by Gary Avis) were heartbreaking. 

• Like 9

I agree with Anna above.  My oh my, what a beautiful performance.  Ninamargaret, you are absolutely right.  This was a human tragedy, not a grand opera overblown tragedy.  From the very first eye contact between Marguerite and her Armand, their love, affection and emotional connection were manifest for all to see.  The exquisite joy of their love was so clearly embodied through beautiful, perfect dance from both of these very talented artists.  The acting from both was so good throughout that I can hardly call it acting.....they WERE Marguerite and Armand.  In a ballet where there is no time to properly establish a back story or develop character, these two did a wonderful job of telling us about both.  Tragedy works best when a happy situation is set up and then torn apart, and this is what happened here.  The contrast between their happiness and the unravelling of it, leading to Marguerite's public humiliation (which, because of Ball's incredible portrayal, I physically winced at), was done as well as i have ever seen it done in this ballet.  Such physical and emotional passion.  The fact that we could really, really feel the love between them made the ending so hard to bear:  wasted opportunities, unnecessary hurt, final redemption.  

Lauren and Matthew were on fire last night, in all respects, and for me this was the perfect example of what ballet is about.  I never cease to be amazed how, when it is done right, we are carried on a journey through all the emotions;  last night I was in turn happy, sad, angry, passionate and weepy.

Incredible stuff....and if Matthew Ball isn't promoted to Principal at the end of this season I will eat my ballet tickets.  

• Like 19

I was reflecting during their previous performance that there might be a lot of people threatening to chain themselves to the ROH railings again this year :)  Oh, hang on, the railings don't actually exist any more, do they?

• Like 4

On 03/05/2018 at 11:17, Sim said:

....and if Matthew Ball isn't promoted to Principal at the end of this season I will eat my ballet tickets.  

Without wanting to put the kibosh on Ball's promotion prospects, can I register my interest in a front row seat, Sim?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

I have no doubt whatsoever that by the end of this Season the RB will add Matthew Ball to their roster of Principals. He's been outstanding throughout the Season.

.................... and in a wide range of rep. as well.

[Incidentally, this particular topic is now running on two threads simultaneously.]

• Like 2

I was there last night.  Loved 2 of the 3 so that's a win in my book :D

I really just didn't get Obsidian Tear at all, it just did nothing for me.  I feel the same about all the McGregor I've seen apart from Woolf Works.  Everyone danced to a high standard of course but the choreography just leaves me cold.

Marguerite and Armand on the other hand...wow!  I've only seen this once before, on the cinema broadcast with Yanowsky/Bolle and I didn't really like it, but of course it was very memorable as she was retiring.  But I well and truly fell in love with this ballet last night and thought the whole thing was incredibly moving.  The moment where she sees Armand for the first time, where she stands still and just looks at him, gave me goosebumps and it continued through the whole ballet.  I thought Natalia was amazing.  Shklyarov also gave a very moving performance.  I was not really convinced by them in Manon but I thought it was more to do with the ballet itself (I'd never seen it before so it was my first time and I just couldn't get into it).  I was definitely convinced last night anyway.  And the music and sets/costumes were just beautiful.  I don't understand why I didn't like it the first time round but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Elite Syncopations was just magical.  I think I loved everything about it.  I think everyone was incredibly strong, I couldn't even single anyone out as the whole thing was just superb.

• Like 5

Serenade - I am glad it's not just me that doesn't get any of Wayne McGregor's works.

We were there Friday - apart from someone nearby having an unfortunate coughing fit for 10 minutes early on in Marguerite & Armand, it was wonderful; Osipova and Shklyarov were on form as usual.

Elite Syncopations was really enjoyable, although I don't think all of the ballet worked with all the Rag pieces; I especially like Melissa Hamilton dancing.

Dear friends, I'm going to this triple bill tonight and am wondering if anyone would like to try to meet up at one of the intervals? I feel a bit shy about suggesting this but it would be a shame to miss an opportunity to get to know some of you. Also, could any of you let me know approximately when the performance ends? 10.30 p.m., or ?

There's just one escalator in each direction (from the Paul Hamlyn Hall to the Amphitheatre, with some seating at the bottom which is where people usually meet up).  Although I'm sure you'll find people there in both intervals, the first is your best bet, as some people will go home after Marguerite & Armand!

I'll probably be around, wearing a navy dress with white print.

Edited by RuthE