Auditioning without teachers permission

Pixiewoo

DD has been chatting today with friends made at last years summer school, and one girl said that she'd auditioned for RBS and a couple of other places ( DD can't remember where ) earlier in the year even though her teacher didn't want her to, and they didn't ask the teacher to sign or put her information on the application. 

I don't know how this girl did, but will places audition someone without teachers permission? I'm just curious as most application forms I've seen ask for dance teachers name at least. 

Hi Pixiewoo,

I’m not sure to be honest. Every application form I’ve seen has at least asked for the dance teachers details if not their signature. 

Is your DD at the Northern Easter course in Leeds this week?

• Like 1

Most applications are online aren’t they? For associate auditions I’ve always had to put details of who DD’s regular teacher is. For full time auditions I don’t think you’d get very far without the support a local teacher would you?

You at least have to be able to confirm that anything additional that your child does will be supported by their regular teacher. 

It’s also common curtesy, especially if anything additional clashes with local classes. 

• Like 2

I know for a fact that although my dds teacher knew and supported her applications for associates (RBS) and for vocational school, that she was never contacted on acceptance at associates or at any time for vocational. In regards to RBS (as that’s the only scheme I have knowledge of) once my dd started as a JA that same teacher received an email inviting them to attend a teachers watching class at some point, so if accepted it would probably be a good idea to let them know! Xx 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Sparkly said:

Hi Pixiewoo,

I’m not sure to be honest. Every application form I’ve seen has at least asked for the dance teachers details if not their signature. 

Is your DD at the Northern Easter course in Leeds this week?

That's what I think. I've never seen an application form that doesn't at least ask for dance teacher details, if not signature!

No, DD not dancing at Northern this week. We're away, plus daily commute to Leeds is too difficult for us in a normal working week.

• Like 1

It seems a bit of an odd situation to me. Either you trust your teacher and know they have good reasons to advise you against auditioning, in which case don't audition, or you don't trust them.in which case surely you should be looking for another teacher. Perhaps that's what this person IS doing by auditioning against the teachers wishes it's hard to know from this snippet of info... of course the last minute audition is different- that's more logistics

But deliberately doing what your teacher has advised you not to suggests to me a teacher student relationship which shouldn't really continue...

• Like 3

My dds teacher,did not sign many forms and when prompted, she was always too busy or reluctant to do so.

My dd would of missed out on many adventures, and lost out on many beautiful friendships.

Teachers sometimes think they are gods,but to me the choice is always between the parents, who are paying, and the child who is dancing 

• Like 7

I had multiple teachers at the same time which helped in these situations. Sometimes teachers don't want you to audition for things as fear of losing you as their prize student or it clashes with their school show! Trust your instinct and branch out as much as possible to seek lots of experience.

• Like 7

A long time ago, a certain director of dance would have blocked my daughter from auditioning for anything. We got a private teacher and everything went through her. Because of opportunities we decided to take, my daughter went from strength to strength with her training. 

• Like 5

On 11/04/2018 at 08:30, stardancer said:

My dds teacher,did not sign many forms and when prompted, she was always too busy or reluctant to do so.

My dd would of missed out on many adventures, and lost out on many beautiful friendships.

Ive never understood this myself, but it seems to be often the case. When our DS auditioned for all 4 vocational schools a few years ago - it was really apparent to him in the finals that he was the only boy who wasn’t an associate somewhere. At the time - we didn’t know that associate schemes existed and it certainly wasn’t encouraged by his dance school. 

I can understand totally why teachers would be reluctant for their students to train with multiple schools for their general classes, but associate schemes and productions like EYB and MTB for example (in my opinion) offer fantastic experience  - new friendships with like-minded DC (especially boys who might be the only boy at their dance school ), having to adapt to different teaching styles and with EYB/MTB etc - the opportunity to train, rehearse & perform in a full on ballet production ....... surely this experience can only benefit the students ? There does remain the reluctance of some dance teachers to encourage  this - it crops up from time to time on this forum and I’ve never managed to work out why !!

Surely it’s a win, win all round . Teachers should be able to see their student improving & gaining confidence, students should be able to enjoy & experience something a little different to their normal classes & parents shouldn’t have to act all cloak & dagger !!

Maybe I’m missing something 🤪

• Like 9