Moorland International Ballet Academy Training

FredF

Hi,  

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience on full time ballet training at Moorland school, it has some mentions on this forum but they do seem to be only about summer school courses or are a few years old. I know it’s a small school but can it train to the standard as Elmhurst or Tring ?

Thanks

From my experience of SS there I would say the quality of teaching is high with attention to detail. The classes are small. (A definite advantage over many more well known schools.)

I don't know enough and don't know the regular students there to comment on long term outcomes. 

Being small also has disadvantages - the main teachers (who are fantastic ) are a husband and wife team so a lot depends on just 2 people.

• Like 1

I am an Associate there, and know quite a lot of the full time students well (as they also take class with us!) I absolutely love it, the training is very high quality, and lots of emphasis is placed on the basics (posture, turnout, foot articulation etc). They also give really meaningful corrections, and take time to explain anatomy and give anecdotes from their careers as ballet dancers. They often bring in guest teachers from Contemporary companies for example, to lead workshops, and the full time students get even more guest tuition, for example, ballet dancers from Nothern ballet, and a well known Spanish dance teacher. They also get taken to see ballets and have some opportunities to perform in the year.

I know the full time students get a lot of hours in, but the teachers do talk about the importance of rest and good nutrition etc. They also work hard in their academic studies, and sixth formers can get teaching qualifications and/or A-levels. 

The school is fairly new, but Mr and Mrs Kidd have been teaching for longer and I gather that their students have been successful. One student from Moorland has just got a contract for Boston ballet after an apprenticeship wit a Russian company (she is amazingly talented!) and I have heard of 2 boys with jobs in European companies, one classical and one more contemporary based. There are others taught by the Kidds but not from Moorland itself.

i don't have firsthand full time experience, but if it is anything like the Associates I could highly recommend! The classes are hard work but they are always fun as well!

Edited by ArucariaBallerina
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

I am an Associate there, and know quite a lot of the full time students well (as they also take class with us!) I absolutely love it, the training is very high quality, and lots of emphasis is placed on the basics (posture, turnout, foot articulation etc). They also give really meaningful corrections, and take time to explain anatomy and give anecdotes from their careers as ballet dancers. They often bring in guest teachers from Contemporary companies for example, to lead workshops, and the full time students get even more guest tuition, for example, ballet dancers from Northern ballet, and a well known Spanish dance teacher. They also get taken to see ballets and have some opportunities to perform in the year.

I know the full time students get a lot of hours in, but the teachers do talk about the importance of rest and good nutrition etc. They also work hard in their academic studies, and sixth formers can get teaching qualifications and/or A-levels. 

The school is fairly new, but Mr and Mrs Kidd have been teaching for longer and I gather that their students have been successful. One student from Moorland has just got a contract for Boston ballet after an apprenticeship wit a Russian company (she is amazingly talented!) and I have heard of 2 boys with jobs in European companies, one classical and one more contemporary based. There are others taught by the Kidds but not from Moorland itself, a girl  who was privately trained by them got a place at RBS Upper School.

i don't have firsthand full time experience, but if it is anything like the Associates I could highly recommend! The classes are hard work but they are always fun as well!

1 hour ago, ArucariaBallerina said:

One student from Moorland has just got a contract for Boston ballet after an apprenticeship wit a Russian company (she is amazingly talented!) 

Not just any old Russian company either - if memory serves!