Pirouettes

Kaylie

27 minutes ago, LexBallet said:

Thank you for your really useful responses. All makes sense to to rational adult, but feels like the ultimate ballet démotivation to my poor daughter. She needs to ask why...I know. 

I'm not a dancer and have never had any dance training but I am an avid ballet watcher and I have heard more than once that it is much harder to do a single pirouette well than say a double.  In public company classes you often see dancers doing single pirouettes, presumably to keep their technique razor sharp.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

with perfect placement and finishing with precision

I'm still doing ballet class in my kitchen. I can do doubles quite easily in the studio, but prefer to keep to singles in my kitchen, so I'm focusing on  finishing the pirouette up on demi-pointe, and in retiré, and then put my foot down slowly and cleanly. It is very difficult!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

In public company classes you often see dancers doing single pirouettes, presumably to keep their technique razor sharp.

I think this is a good message for @LexBallet's dd.  Even professional dancers have to focus on their technique.

• Like 3

on the 'in class'   point

if  dancers of what ever level are being drilled on  pirouettes   here's a drill i've seen   ( and done)  loads of time 

4  quarters 
2  halves 
1 single   
emphasis on clean technique and  precise landings 

1 double / best effort  
1 more 'best effort'  

• Like 2