EYB Wolverhampton

Lildancer96

back from Wolverhampton and DD is buzzing..she absolutely loved her first day and is a Marinsky dancer ..she can't wait to go back tomorrow..and no complaints so far of aching feet...she took my advice and took her pointe shoes off during breaks to give her feet a rest...how did everyone else get on ??

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

On the subject of EYB, I have just recieved an Audition Pack for the York and Oxford 2013 auditions. I was suprised to find that at least 2 York rehearsals, and 4 for Oxford, are on school days. Do EYB generally expect for young dancers to take a day or more off school in order to attend rehearsals, despite that many, like me, will be studying for GCSE's? I don't think my parents would be too fond of the idea of me having to take time off school to dance, the school even less so!

It was a triumph!

Outstanding choreography by Miss Lewis, incredibly high standard of dance from both the Principles and children of all ages, imaginative sets, stunning costumes, full house for all performance with an absolutely brilliant atmosphere - it had it all!

Well done EYB, Swan Lake with a twist - but i wont spoil the story for those of you who haven't seen it or performed in it yet!

Edited by Black Swan
  • Like 3

On the subject of EYB, I have just recieved an Audition Pack for the York and Oxford 2013 auditions. I was suprised to find that at least 2 York rehearsals, and 4 for Oxford, are on school days. Do EYB generally expect for young dancers to take a day or more off school in order to attend rehearsals, despite that many, like me, will be studying for GCSE's? I don't think my parents would be too fond of the idea of me having to take time off school to dance, the school even less so!

Rehearsals usually start at 4 or 4.30 so after the school day. EYB usually use a school to rehearse in so don't have access until school finishes. My DD did her last EYB in the June as she was doing her GCSE's and also had her 16th birthday. It was the best thing she could have done as she didn't stress so much about the exams and concentrated on what she loved most and I am sure contributed to her good results. The school did express their concern but couldn't argue about it being a good stress buster!

• Like 1

Ah, thanks Taximom! On the schedule for Oxford, there were quite a few dates that were obvious school days (ie September 16th-18th) but only some dates have 'After School' written by them, which is why I asked. On the Friday of the performances for both Oxford and York, it says 'Dress Rehearsal and Performance.' Would this all be after-school then?

My dd has never done EYB but a few from her dance school have. If time off school is needed you need to be licensed but it's not usually a problem.

The show she was in a couple of weeks ago there were several year 11 children in and they had to go into school whoever possible there was an afternoon tech, a full day tech plus a matinee whereas in year 6 was allowed the whole day off on tech/matinee days.

Licences are not needed if time off school is for rehearsals rather than performances (licence may still be needed depending on situation i.e. number of performances etc) - very odd I know but when dd was first licenced i queried the fact that the licence did not state all the days off school needed and was told by our licencing officer that the licence only covered performances not rehearsals! Picturesinthefirelight is quite correct in saying anyone in year 11 needs licencing until the last friday in June regardless of when they turned 16 which most people do not realise. Productions like EYB are usually covered by a 'body of persons' licence rather then licencing each individual child.

Some local authorities interpret the laws differently but in my area & the two neighbouring authorities licences are needed for rehearsals involving time off school.

Dd's show was subject to a spot check inspection. They came in on the wed lunchtime & inspected all the licences etc. I was chsperoning that day.

Otherwise yes most groups would try and get a body of persons.