Are 32 fouettés necessary?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too.  Some feet are more functional than pretty and many dancers with seemingly lovely feet don't actually achieve much with them.  Osipova is a ballerina for whom no technical feats (pun intended) present a challenge.  "Wrecked feet"?  Beyond absurd.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sharon said:

I didn't know she had problems with her feet (well beyond the usual ballerina bunions,etc).

Why you should? Most dancers don't brag about such problems in public, even though they can be quite severe.

57 minutes ago, assoluta said:

Why you should? Most dancers don't brag about such problems in public, even though they can be quite severe.

If this is private information to which you somehow have access, perhaps it would be better not to refer to it in public, especially if you are not then willing to explain what you mean.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, bridiem said:

If this is private information to which you somehow have access

I very, very much doubt it, just a rather unkind supposition.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, assoluta said:

Do you mean you've just seen a picture of them and think they look wrecked?

Edited by Rob S

To describe a dancer's feet as wrecked is very uncharitable and rather melodramatic, if you stick to the definition of the word it would seem to indicate inability to dance at all, which in Osipova's case is complete nonsense.  Very few have totally trouble free feet and I don't want to list those that have visible problems, though I seem to remember discussion of an RB dancer's feet on the recent Giselle thread. 

Dancers suffer for their art and I'm reminded of what Fonteyn once said about no one wanting to watch ballet if they knew how painful it can be, apart from those that enjoy bull fighting. 

• Like 5

Actually I think it's unusual nowadays to see a dancer with lovely-looking feet. I don't know if they use softer shoes now, but it's very unusual to see the beautiful feet and shoes I used to see regularly in my earlier days of ballet-going. Which is a shame, because that's all part of the line of a dancer.

None of which means that I think that Osipova's feet look 'wrecked' (if that's all that assoluta meant).

Edited by bridiem
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MAB said:

To describe a dancer's feet as wrecked is very uncharitable 

But an entirely accurate description, I should imagine, of a professional female ballet dancer's feet from an aesthetic viewpoint.  Pointe work is brutal.   

On the topic of shoes, it seems that many dancers are wearing ones that have a much broader "platform" to stand on.  It may be better/easier/more comfortable for them, but it does give a clog like appearance in some cases.  

• Like 2

There are several  points here

1 Are the feet in question supposedly LOOKING ‘wrecked’ when in pointe shoes?

2 Or are the feet LOOKING ‘wrecked’ when the pointe shoes come off?

3 Or does the forum member believe that the feet are INJURED perhaps for ever, yet allowing the dancer to perform incredibly beautifully despite the injury/ies?

• Like 4

I would agree with Fonty, shoes are much broader these days.  I have always imagined it was with the invention of ouch pouches more room was needed in the box to accommodate them.  My all time favourite pointe shoes were Repetto Opera, and I still have the last pair I wore professionally.  My foot was a medium width, but these old shoes look much narrower and delicate compared to even the narrowest fittings in today's shes. 

• Like 2

• Sim locked this topic