Happy News!

DavidW

I posted a few weeks ago in a different thread about being asked to leave my current dance school for 6 months whilst they prepare for a school show in March and how I was rather hurt by this (and the way the school went about it).

I'm happy to report that I've been in touch with two local schools and got some great replies. The first has replied to say I'd be welcome in their Intermediate classes and their Adult Advanced/Open class (all taught by the owners son: ex-RBS and professional dancer). The second (suggested by BalletCo-ers) replied asking if I'd be interested in joining their Youth Ballet Company which meet every other Sunday and have an ENB Principal as their Patron (and she occasionally teaches Masterclasses!). And (amazingly) none of these clash with my current classes and rehearsals.

So, all in all, a rather horrible situation has turned into two fantastic opportunities. The only question now is, with 10+hours of ballet a week, when on earth am I going to do my PhD work! :D

• Like 21

Thanks everyone - I will be sure to update you all! This will be the third repertoire group I'm in - with three big gala performances in Spring 2013 (e.g. one performance has 3 PdD's and a Pd5). Let's hope my brain doesn't confuse all the choreography!

• Like 2

Lucky you! I'm glad to hear it worked out, even though I'm now very jealous! I'm currently wondering whether or not I can afford three classes a week this autumn - i think now i'll be too envious of you to stop at 2! ;)

• Like 1

Brilliant and glad it has worked with Yuri and Chika. Shame we aren't local to you or we could all come and watch. No pressure.lol Really pleased for you. Many of us over the years have struggled with some dance schools and teachers but there are great ones out there who are encouraging and helpful.

Now as to the Phd ? Well you'll manage I'm sure. Don't they always say if you need something doing give it to a busy person:-)

• Like 2

Thanks for all the lovely messages everyone!

Robin64 - I did indeed enjoy the Summer School! Not only were the classes fab but I was also staying with some pre-pro dancers on the advanced course which made it a really fun week outside of the scheduled classes :)

Jaylou62 - Nice to know there'll be a friendly face! I've not done all that much Russian technique (my classes in the US were loosely Vaganova based but I have mainly been doing RAD here in the UK) so am rather nervous. Hopefully it'll all go well!

as the saying goes - if you want something done, ask a busy person!

enjoy the dance and the studies. I am sure given your motivation, you will be fine. After all, you are doing two things you really enjoy, an enviable position.

the journey continues...

• Like 1

Pointytoes22 - well it lasted 4 hours... but they asked me to join! The teachers are both really friendly, class was at the perfect level to stretch me without being completely lost (which was good as in centre they kept swapping lines so I spent a few exercises front and centre!) and we started learning some rep: Swan lake Act II with the three lads learning a cool Van Rothbart solo (involving cool things like grand saut de basques en manege, attitude pirouettes and so on) and the girls learning the corps Swans part. Needless to say I can't wait for the next session in two weeks time!

Porthesia - hello! Just talked to your dd on twitter - hope she's settling in well!

Fiz - Oh no! That's awful news! Any idea why? I really hope there's another school nearby you can join... :(

• Like 4

As I mentioned to PointyToes22 above - I got in! Am really pleased and excited :) I also heard back from my RAD class last week: they say I can come back for classes "for the time being" until they start rehearsals (although they conveniently told me this the day *after* term had started and two weeks after I rang them to check). They also joked that I "better start looking for other classes" which I didn't find particularly funny - that's what I've been doing for the last three months! I'm back there tomorrow for my first class back (I reckon I'll have most likely forgotten all the RAD syllabus!) and I'm just happy that I get to take class with my amazing teacher again. One things for sure, if it wasn't for the amazing teacher I don't think I'd go back!

• Like 2