The Royal Ballet: Manon, London, March-May 2018

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After Monday's Triple Bill debacle for me (hated it if I am honest), I am back in ballet heaven tonight with Roberto Bolle and Marianela Nunez.  So pleased that Bolle was exported in to dance with Marianela as they have THAT connection and I just sat and drooled throughout.  Goosebumps came with the first PDD  and remained/ increased throughout.  I felt Beatriz and Marcelino grew into their roles and their Act 2 was particularly impressive. Act 1 a little slow to take off and I do wish more attention was paid to the very first dance steps for Lescaut and his Mistress.  Marcelino hardly got his feet off the ground - please watch David Wall and Monica Mason. That irritated me and took some time to recover.   

Gary Avis, of course, triumphed as usual with his portrayal of the Gaoler. On Twitter, someone has commented that how can Gary convince as both Drosselmeyer and the Gaoler - he's equally brilliant as both good and evil, and of course, you know it's him, but he still becomes the character he's playing and totally believable. Genius. There is no better Monsieur GM too - pity he can't play both roles at the same time. 

So happy to be on such a high and so happy I have a ticket for the same performance on Monday. 

Even more happy that Alexander Campbell is to dance Des Grieux 

• Like 11

Very excited - just picked up a return amphi ticket for tomorrow. Can't wait to see if: Natalia is as wonderful as last week; Shklyarov has shed his debut tentativeness and his wonderful elegance will be even better showcased; Sambe develops his character a bit more and seems more at home in the role; and if I remain in a minority of one about Yasmine!! Hope all reservations completely overturned and it's a fantastic night.  PS: just literally now picked up this ticket and there were a few returns.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I picked up a return for Alexander Campbell's first performance as Des Grieux too!

I'm seeing his second performance and really looking forward to it. Will be interested to know what you think of it.  Also interesting to see James Hay as Lescaut - his first i think?

11 hours ago, JennyTaylor said:

I picked up a return for Alexander Campbell's first performance as Des Grieux too!

Partnering Takada's debut as Manon... Really looking forward to this too!  Currently "sold out", so pleased to have booked earlier.

Edited by Richard LH
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sim said:

Omg I am stunned after tonight's Manon.  I can't imagine a more passionate performance of this for a very long time to come. Wow.  More tomorrow when I have recovered.  

Agree - both principals embodied thrill in their focused zeal - Sambe much improved in terms of detail from his last round with Lescaut in this cast's outing - and Naghdi remains transcendent as the Mistress.  As Sim suggests - another fine round.  

• Like 4

I am so overwhelmed by tonight's STUNNING performance by Osipova/Shkykarov/Naghdi/Sambe I can't find the right words now.

The atmosphere in the audience was electric and as Sim said THE most passionate Manon I have seen in ages, this one surpassed them all. This should have been the Opening Night of Manon.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Sim said:

Omg I am stunned after tonight's Manon.  I can't imagine a more passionate performance of this for a very long time to come. Wow.  More tomorrow when I have recovered.  

Yes, it was unbelievable.  Rendered speechless.  Licca Accri was incredible, a Principal’s performance.  Osipova, what can Zisay?  She goes from exuberant youth to lady of the nightt to victim in ways so subtle you hardly realise what is happening.7

And then there”s Shrykalov.  Those extensions,  the grace and elegance and the chemistry with Osipova.  Oh my, it’s good to be alive tonight,

• Like 4

Would it be ok to point out that this run of Manon has coincided with the 90th birthday this week of the great American humorist and mathematician, Tom Lehrer? But why, you ask?

>>Don't solicit for your sister, that's not nice

Unless you get a good percentage of her price.

• Like 11

So glad to have picked up a return for tonight. Despite Osipova being fantastic last week, the whole thing went up a gear to night: Osipova even better - even sitting in the amphi, you can see all the emotions on her face (love, lust, revelling in her power over men, despair, confusion - you name it!) and that is without mentioning her amazing dancing. Shklyarov had shed all his first night tentativeness and was all passion and the most exquisite, beautiful and elegant lines. They were just wonderful together. Thought Marcelino much improved tonight - he had a much better grip of both the dancing and character, and very much played his part in the whole evening. And I am no longer in a minority if one regarding Yasmine as the mistress! Whole cast terrific, the noise from the audience was thunderous - a performance to live long in the memory.  

• Like 11

A very special performance tonight: really one of the best performances of Manon  I have  ever seen.  And I am very happy to pay tribute to a fine performance from Sambe. Osipova was excellent - more nuanced than last week. Shklyarov was much more at ease and tonight we saw the sheer beauty of his dancing: he has the most exceptional line. Just a wonderful night all round. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, penelopesimpson said:

Licca Accri was incredible, a Principal's performance...

Penelope, I think you're referring to Marcelino Sambe  (Lescaut)?  Luca Accri was the Beggar Chief.

• Like 1

I awoke this morning with the detail of Osipova and Shklyarov's triumph last night in my mind's ear.  It was as if a time bomb had detonated over night as some sort of international conspiracy celebrating theatrical ardor.  It was as if it's poison had been dropped from some zooming flight above.  Had I dreamed such?  NO.  They made their dancing - and I mean this as a compliment - look almost accidental, so intricate and toned was the detail of the total spontaneity of their drama.  Unceasingly it was shot through with the most vigorous gossamer.  It persuaded with the cogency of the aim of their most robust ball of atomic fire.  In effect it was - no, they were - gargantuan.  Their puissance was gutsy in its lusty punch.  Such combined construct could make any Shard appear paltry. 

In lesser hands MacMillan's ballet oft reveals its connecting dots.  Here the skeleton (for they were one) was not only fleshed; its eyes seared with moulton tears and the echos of their all too humane laughter - that vital element that allows any couple to sustain - seemed - no, WAS - perennial.  It resounded.  We cared because they did.  TOTALLY.  We too could obsess in the haunt of their air.  It almost didn't matter who danced in the background of their last scene's vision.  This dyad brought their unified soul front and centre.

That this was only Shklyarov's second take at Des Grieux was nothing short of profound.  . At the final curtain - again drenched - he didn't look exhausted - as he had so entirely on the first occasion - but rather fulfilled.  The delighted insolence of his inner child's attainment - that coming of age as t'were; that reaching of a rung he had long aspired to snatch - beamed through in that irrepressible smile.   it irradiated fervency with a obligingly tender wink.  His was - he made us know - a private victory.  It just happened here to be shared with a very fortunate British public.  We thank Kevin O'Hare for this privilege ... and, I suspect, Osipova as it could never have breathed without her.  Shklyarov clearly indicated this with the deep seated bow of his heart.  I thank him from the bottom of my own.  His triumph was ours.  His was a gift of the most significant order.  It transcended even the ennobling mount of this Des Grieux's magnanimous loom.  It was - in a word - exalted.  

• Like 6

Last night was my first Manon, and I have to say unfortunately it left me cold.

Regarding the performance, I felt Osipova and Shklyarov had very little chemistry and were ever so slightly clumsy together (e.g. some missed hand grips). His arabesques were also surprisingly wobbly. Sambe as Lescaut was a strong performance however, and some good support from corps and other soloists.

Regarding the production, I felt the costumes and sets were very dated and rather fusty. I also agree with earlier comments that the stage is often cluttered and distracting. In Act 3 I spent some time watching the"sailers" at the back who clearly had nothing to do!

Regarding the story...I think it needs a strong central pairing to really sell it. Without that the story comes across as overblown nonsense. The main characters were rather unclear last night, and didn't convey to me a good sense of personality, which I think highlights the inconsistency in their actions and the plot.  I think you need to really feel the grand passion projected on the stage to buy into the story.

I also agree with the comments about the misogyny. Appreciated some of that is the point (i.e. Manon's experiences), but some felt gratuitous (e.g. brothel). There was a lot of exploitative choreography for women, surplus to the plot.

My overall feeling is the production is dated both in terms of setting and values, and maybe should be rested for a while.

• Like 1

I think it is a great thing to see such divergent responses to the same performance as we see above from Bruce Wall and Helpop! 

My only thought is that if last night did not move you, Helpop, I am not sure there is any possible pairing on the horizon that will. The search is on!

• Like 7

Absolutely loved last night's performance of Manon by Shklyarov, Osipova, Naghdi and Sambé, full of drama and pain.

Especially loved the second act, incredibly dramatic acting & dancing, Shklyarov really wore his emotions, felt like you could see his heart breaking

And Osipova, wow such star quality dancing, I haven't always liked her in certain roles but as Manon she was spectacular

Yasmine Naghdi was great as Lescsuts Mistress, really made the character her own

Marcelino Sambé danced Lescaut well but just needed more presence, but he did come alive in the second act.

Love the ballet, love the music and costumes and left the ROH a very happy person!!! 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Xandra Newman said:

... This should have been the Opening Night of Manon.

Not having seen earlier performances this time, last night was opening night for me.  Having read the reviews and many posts here, my expectations were sky high.  For my part I was a little reserved about the start of Act 1 and found Natalia Osipova rather too knowing.  I was surprised to find myself on a couple of times thinking back to Francesca Hayward's 2014 debut where I thought there was a greater sense of dynamic.  But the performance became compelling and I was very taken with Vladimir Shklyarov's Des Grieux.

I quite agree with the plaudits for Yasmine Naghdi and very much enjoyed Marcelino Sambe, particularly in Act 1.  Gary Avis and Bennet Gartside were utterly abhorrent.

I like much of the busyness of the staging where there is so much going on.  Leticia Stock was particularly impressive.  But I do rather tire of some of the characterisation where one 'gentleman' is clearly several sandwiches short of a picnic; one sandwich short would be more than sufficient to make the point.

I am looking forward immensely to seeing further performances this run and my 'opening night' has set a very high benchmark indeed.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just to add to the variety of opinions about last night, this was sent out by a frequent opera and ballet Twitter commentator:

image.jpeg

That is interesting, Geoff. But maybe Manon IS louche, knowing and vulgar! Her vulnerability only emerges at the end. I personally think that Osipova's creative flow is still pouring forth.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BeauxArts said:

I think it is a great thing to see such divergent responses to the same performance as we see above from Bruce Wall and Helpop! 

My only thought is that if last night did not move you, Helpop, I am not sure there is any possible pairing on the horizon that will. The search is on!

There will be Helpop. We all see interpretations in different ways, sometimes because of how we ourselves are feeling on a particular day, and, if you are going to Manon again, there will be a pairing which will grip you.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Just to add to the variety of opinions about last night, this was sent out by a frequent opera and ballet Twitter commentator:

image.jpeg

I find some of Attila’s tweets very unpleasant. A few months ago when Hayward was Giselle, he commented on how her thinness added to her waifish, ghostly look and said ‘her weight loss is our gain’. Now he is saying that Osipova is ‘over’ and that her performance was ‘grotesque’. I don’t find that constructive. 

• Like 9

Judging by the ecstatic and prolonged reception last night (they were standing in the balcony), one can only assume Attila was in the minority. Everyone around us were absolutely blown away by the whole company.

Fabulous, fabulous evening of acting, dance and emotion. 

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Now he is saying that...her performance was ‘grotesque’. 

I carry no brief for this Twitter person (and have no idea who they are) but I just searched for your reference and that is not quite what was said:

29 minutes ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Now he is saying that...her performance was ‘grotesque’.

I carry no brief for this Twitter person (and have no idea who they are) but I just searched for your reference and that is not quite what was said: 

(APOLOGIES - SUDDENLY HAVING TROUBLE POSTING THE SNAPSHOT OF THE TWEET, TECHNICAL HELP WELCOME, THE ISSUE SEEMS TO BE VERY RESTRICTIVE FILE SIZE, WHICH CAN't RIGHT GIVEN THE GORGEOUS PHOTOS UPLOADED)

He said ‘This time around Osipova’s #ROHManon feels terribly overripe - almost grotesque. She and Shklyarov are just giving us dressage with grins. Only Sambé and Naghdi are breathing any life into this. I’m only staying because some tweets from last week said it picks up at the end’. 

1 hour ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

I find some of Attila’s tweets very unpleasant. A few months ago when Hayward was Giselle, he commented on how her thinness added to her waifish, ghostly look and said ‘her weight loss is our gain’. Now he is saying that Osipova is ‘over’ and that her performance was ‘grotesque’. I don’t find that constructive. 

image.png

I believe this is the tweet:

5ad1dd8bbb49f_2018-04-14(1).png.6815bc1e99f2ada00fc401ebea0c5d3b.png

And I was looking back at the older tweets and found the remark on Hayward aliceinwoolfland refers to:

5ad1dde762890_2018-04-14(4).png.e9db5ac5ce86e29289ae3b7eea705bbd.png

Interestingly, this was the tweeter's reaction to Osipova as Giselle:

5ad1ddd6f12da_2018-04-14(2).png.0f626b2bff84b5f77c056d1d881d6b57.png

The bluntness seems part of his/her style, but I think the perspective is valid. 

• Like 1

Oh sorry aliceinwoolfland, finally sorted my attachment at the same time as you were writing. Admins please feel free to make sense of the multiple postings, apologies everyone. 

Edited by Geoff
  • Like 1