The Royal Ballet: Manon, London, March-May 2018

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, aliceinwoolfland said:

Can someone tell me how to pronounce Shkylarov? I’ve been trying to figure it out for ages!

Helps if you spell it right first - it's ShkLYarov :)

Once you've got the SHKLY bit out of the way - you just need to throw them out quickly - it's a long "ah" sound then a straightforward "rov".  (I wouldn't get bogged down in the finer points.)

Edited to clarify it's an ordinary Y, as in "yoghurt", NOT as in "sky".

Edited by Lizbie1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lizbie1 said:

Fabulous photos but they remind me... perhaps it's time to update those wigs?

I think that the wigs for Lescaut's Mistress and the main Harlots have been'updated' this run, haven't they? They are ridiculously big and, last Thursday., Melissa Hamilton's seemed to be moving independently of her.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, capybara said:

I think that the wigs for Lescaut's Mistress and the main Harlots have been'updated' this run, haven't they? They are ridiculously big and, last Thursday., Melissa Hamilton's seemed to be moving independently of her.

Crikey. There's still more than a touch of the Mrs Slocombe about them I'd say.

• Like 11

42 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Helps if you spell it right first - it's ShkLYarov :)

Once you've got the SHKLY bit out of the way - you just need to throw them out quickly - it's a long "ah" sound then a straightforward "rov".  (I wouldn't get bogged down in the finer points.)

Edited to clarify it's an ordinary Y, as in "yoghurt", NOT as in "sky".

I am afraid, Lizbie, that you put a wrong stress in his surname. The correct stress is on "O" in the last syllable.

ShklyarOv

At first, you say  “Shklya” without making stress, then say “rov” stressing “o”.

It helps to get the right pronunciation in Russian by prolonging the stressed vowel:

Shklya - rOOOv,      OOOsipova.

• Like 4

Great piccies as per usual Don Q ....many thanks...and  think I now know your secret!! That's one of the probs with a really good camera they are weighty to carry around. The last really good camera I had I left in a taxi and didn't get back unfortunately so have just made do since then!! 

Thanks for reviews folks as cannot get to this round of Manons for various reasons ......and I would have LOVED to have seen Shklyarov as definitely my kind of dancer! But it's great reading about everybody's different experiences of the performances of this ballet.

• Like 2

Aren't the large wigs indicative of the hairstyles ladies adopted in those days?  And wasn't it traditional that prostitutes flaunted their status by having hair with lurid, unnatural colours?

http://thehistoryofthehairsworld.com/1780_gainsborough_1780.jpg

Incidentally, I think the short wig really suits Osipova. :)

I don't know about anybody else, but I am still completely baffled as to how Shkylarov pronounces his name!  In my head, I am saying it as Shikilarov.  Which I certain is completely wrong. 

Edited by Fonty

1 hour ago, Fonty said:

Aren't the large wigs indicative of the hairstyles ladies adopted in those days? 

Sure, but there's definitely a shampoo-and-set/70s flavour to them.

(I'm probably in a minority but I have similar feelings about a lot of the costumes for Mayerling.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, capybara said:

...and Yasmine Naghdi, in the Ballet Association interview report revealed "that her Mistress wig weighs a tonne, so does her corseted and boned costume" .

Edited by Xandra Newman
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fonty said:

Sh Clear Off he shall become.  At least in my head, anyway!

Except we never want him to clear off!!

Some of us call him Skylark.....with the greatest of affection!!  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, MAB said:

I shouldn't worry about the pronunciation of Shklyarov's name...

I am nor surprised that people bother to ask about the correct pronunciation of names and surnames. They know that hardly anyone likes to hear his own name mispronounced.

2 minutes ago, Amelia said:

I am nor surprised that people bother to ask about the correct pronunciation of names and surnames. They know that hardly anyone likes to hear his own name mispronounced.

And though it's quite a clump of consonants to get through, I don't think it's that tricky to manage an approximation - it's spoken pretty much as written, as are most Russian transliterations once you've learned a few rules and peculiarities.

Where it does get a little difficult is knowing where the stress lies.  I sometimes struggle with that, and it can be doubly important when it affects the unstressed vowel sounds significantly: most notably, in "mainstream" pronunciation you don't say an "O" vowel on an unstressed syllable, however it's written.

37 minutes ago, Amelia said:

My surname is frequently mispronounced and few non-Brits can manage it at all.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MAB said:

:) 

Your comment reminds me of someone I first met at university. I can't remember where he came from, but both his names were almost impossible for us Brits to pronounce correctly.  The nearest English approximation to one of his names was halitosis.  Fortunately, this could be nicely shortened to Hally.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fonty said:

:) 

Your comment reminds me of someone I first met at university. I can't remember where he came from, but both his names were almost impossible for us Brits to pronounce correctly.  The nearest English approximation to one of his names was halitosis.  Fortunately, this could be nicely shortened to Hally.  

Well my father was Irish and most people can't manage either of my names! I don't even expect it nowadays.

A handful of (mainly expensive) returns currently online for the Osipova/Shklyarov and Nunez/Bolle casts, plus the Hayward/Bonelli Saturday matinee, all previously sold out.

Edit: oops, sorry, the Osipova ones have disappeared already.

On 09/04/2018 at 15:26, MAB said:

I have the same problem only it's Brits that struggle and more often than not the foreigners who get it right?!

Yes indeed a fabulous evening.  The huge and lengthy applause at the end showed the audience's appreciation.  That final pdd just cut me to pieces, danced with such confidence and such feeling.  Beatriz Stix-Brunell made a very impressive debut as The Mistress and I got a lot more from Marcelino Sambe  tonight than I did last week. Bravo to all.  

• Like 6