RAD Grade 8

balletbean

Hi all. Back at the end of last year members of this forum kindly offered some very supportive and constructive advice on Grade 7 examination. Which I’m sure contributed to my DD’s success. Well I’m hoping (on behalf of my DD) for some more advice about the Grade 8 exam. Having just paid the bill 😱 for this exam in June for my DD. Hoping for a repeat performance.🤞🏼😊🙆‍♀️

Thank you. 

Unless it's changed since my DD did it, the structure of the grade 8 exam is somewhat different to the rest - it's meant to flow as if it's a performance. So make sure that your DD knows exactly how things will be run and practices the format of the exam rather than just learning the dances separately, if that makes sense? My DD found reading the exam specification on the RAD website very useful.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Pups_mum said:

Unless it's changed since my DD did it, the structure of the grade 8 exam is somewhat different to the rest - it's meant to flow as if it's a performance. So make sure that your DD knows exactly how things will be run and practices the format of the exam rather than just learning the dances separately, if that makes sense? My DD found reading the exam specification on the RAD website very useful.

That’s really helpful. Thank you. I hadn’t thought of the website. 

Thank you to all responses. Really appreciated. DD nailed Grade 7 so 🤞🏼 For a repeat performance 😉. 😊

Yes Grade 8 is different! The barre is seen but not examined (although I always tell any student of mine to act as though it is being examined). Then there are no centre exercises as such, but a series of dances. Students enter and exit the studio and begin the next dance without instruction from the examiner so rehearsal with a pianist or music operator is imperative. The dances are all done solo so again, make sure that she has rehearsed these by herself so that she knows exactly where to be, in the studio, throughout the dance. If she is dancing the Valse Printemps for the allegro, I always make my students dance it full out, twice, without a break in between in order to develop their fitness. It is a sprint of a minute and a half requiring lots of power (in terms of jumoing) but with lots of control, right at the very end!

It's a lovely exam but as other people have said, the format etc is very different so rehearsal of the exam itself is vital!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, drdance said:

Yes Grade 8 is different! The barre is seen but not examined (although I always tell any student of mine to act as though it is being examined). Then there are no centre exercises as such, but a series of dances. Students enter and exit the studio and begin the next dance without instruction from the examiner so rehearsal with a pianist or music operator is imperative. The dances are all done solo so again, make sure that she has rehearsed these by herself so that she knows exactly where to be, in the studio, throughout the dance. If she is dancing the Valse Printemps for the allegro, I always make my students dance it full out, twice, without a break in between in order to develop their fitness. It is a sprint of a minute and a half requiring lots of power (in terms of jumoing) but with lots of control, right at the very end!

It's a lovely exam but as other people have said, the format etc is very different so rehearsal of the exam itself is vital!

That’s excellent advice. Thank you. Stamina isn’t so much of a worry but my concern is that the studio isn’t the biggest. The senior pupils do find the space a challenge, especially as many are used to the stage of the local theatre for performances. I just hope the studio size won’t hold them back.  😕🙆‍♀️

Daughter did Grade 8 in November and very pleased with distinction. She also said “easier” than grade 7 but she really has to push herself more with performance quality and fluidity of movement 

exam day pretty odd as i I didn’t know they actually came out of the room then back in again and I shot out of my seat saying “why are you out?” As thought there was something big, also there were other students waiting to go in for exam after her and to be honest that was really off putting for her. For that reason i think I would have preferred for her to take it at HQ as I could see it threw her off a bit. Some of the other girls were quite disrespectful by loudly and energetically practising their dances to music in the very small waiting area. So that was the main thing i would prep for

• Like 1

11 hours ago, annaliesey said:

Daughter did Grade 8 in November and very pleased with distinction. She also said “easier” than grade 7 but she really has to push herself more with performance quality and fluidity of movement 

exam day pretty odd as i I didn’t know they actually came out of the room then back in again and I shot out of my seat saying “why are you out?” As thought there was something big, also there were other students waiting to go in for exam after her and to be honest that was really off putting for her. For that reason i think I would have preferred for her to take it at HQ as I could see it threw her off a bit. Some of the other girls were quite disrespectful by loudly and energetically practising their dances to music in the very small waiting area. So that was the main thing i would prep for

Thank you. 

My main concern of the possible exam dates given by her studio she will have to juggle one of her GCSE exams on the same day!! Not ideal but sadly a reality. 

23 minutes ago, balletbean said:

My main concern of the possible exam dates given by her studio she will have to juggle one of her GCSE exams on the same day!! Not ideal but sadly a reality. 

I was very instant that DD last year didn’t take any dance exams during her GCSE term. You should already have her GCSE exam timetable, I would take it in and discuss timings with her teacher. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pointetoes said:

I was very instant that DD last year didn’t take any dance exams during her GCSE term. You should already have her GCSE exam timetable, I would take it in and discuss timings with her teacher. 

Thank you. Only received the dates on Tuesday as well as the bill! 😬. Partly my own fault. DD really wanted to complete the set before leaving for Vocational School so I pushed for it and then given the dates. Oops. Thankfully we live near to both school and studio. 🤞🏼

Dd is at vocational school but I pulled her from a drama exam as I didn't want her to take any exams during GCSE's.  She will now take LAMDA once GCSE's are finished.  I know her old dance school takes account of this sort of thing and also takes account of Year 6 children taking SATS.

However I was very very annoyed at ds's instrumental teacher.  He entered ds for an exam without my knowledge and becasue ds missed a few lessons (1 teacher was ill, 2nd ds was ill na dhte third was a date given well in advance due to ds playing a lead role in a musical) the teacher phoned me up the night before the exam was due to take place.  I told him that it would be impossible as ds had a matinee and evening performance that day.

I'm still expected to pay.

LAMDA is the one exam DD did in the summer term of yr 11, only because we knew it was going to be weeks after her last GCSE. She still didn’t get her normal result because she was quiet simply exhausted after all her GCSEs   We did start the grade 8 discussion in December of yr11 so we were able to say March of yr 11 or December ( we knew they wouldn’t want her to take it t that late because of vocational 6th form . 

Pictures that is really awful..... 

• Like 1

Juggling yr11 commitments are a challenge. DD has an audition for Voc School on the Monday. Flight back home the following day landed at noon, LAMDA was at 2pm!  Only told confirmed day & time the previous week. I was a nervous wreck in the departure lounge 🤞🏼 Flight was on time. School uniform in luggage just in case. Fortunately for once the flight was on time. Which is a rare occurrence. DD took it all in her stride. 😊

• Like 1

Grade 8 is the capstone of RAD graded exams. The format is unlike any other exam and often it's taken a lot of work to get all the way to Grade 8. All the girls at my studio agree that it's easier than 7 but also that it's quite special and almost bittersweet. Sure, they are all doing vocational grades and continuing with ballet so it's not the end of the line, but nonetheless it's an end in its own way. I would remind her just to enjoy it!

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Viv said:

Grade 8 is the capstone of RAD graded exams. The format is unlike any other exam and often it's taken a lot of work to get all the way to Grade 8. All the girls at my studio agree that it's easier than 7 but also that it's quite special and almost bittersweet. Sure, they are all doing vocational grades and continuing with ballet so it's not the end of the line, but nonetheless it's an end in its own way. I would remind her just to enjoy it!

Thank you Viv, as you say "bittersweet". This will be my DD's last exam with her teacher (Intermediate the same week).

Her teacher retires the same month after 60yrs teaching RAD ballet at the same studio she attended as a pupil herself. An end of an era for both of them.

Want to make sure it's a good one. :wub: 

• Like 5