Qualifications, Colleges, Schools & Funding

Trickybottom

balletbean I agree Bird have shifted slightly and my dd has been put off  auditioning due to the fact that they definitely set based on tap - she is not a tapper!  Whilst I agree about Laine being a definite Musical Theatre/Triple Threat college - Betty Laine does demand that her dancers have an extremely strong classical ballet background and I know of a couple of ex Royal Ballet School White Lodgers who have decided not to continue into Upper School for whatever reason but are joining Laine in September.  

I agree everyones situation is so different but I echo your advice about going to as many summer shows and doing some summer schools if you can afford to.  My dd has never been an associate anywhere although has danced with National Youth Ballet for several seasons - she has strong, very demanding local training and after auditioning this year has accepted her place at Laine.  It's been an exhausting few months.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Belleballerina said:

balletbean I agree Bird have shifted slightly and my dd has been put off  auditioning due to the fact that they definitely set based on tap - she is not a tapper!  Whilst I agree about Laine being a definite Musical Theatre/Triple Threat college - Betty Laine does demand that her dancers have an extremely strong classical ballet background and I know of a couple of ex Royal Ballet School White Lodgers who have decided not to continue into Upper School for whatever reason but are joining Laine in September.  

I agree everyones situation is so different but I echo your advice about going to as many summer shows and doing some summer schools if you can afford to.  My dd has never been an associate anywhere although has danced with National Youth Ballet for several seasons - she has strong, very demanding local training and after auditioning this year has accepted her place at Laine.  It's been an exhausting few months.

Interesting that I’ve just heard that there is a scholarship at Laines for pupils with strong Ballet Technique. One off Personal Scholarship not sure how to apply for it or whether it’s by invitation only. 😉

On 23/03/2018 at 19:26, balletbean said:

Birds have recently gone more ‘ ‘Commercial’  based dancing shifting slightly away from Jazz/MT.

However, they Grade their pupils for ‘sets’ based on their Tap standard. Especially in their 1st yr. 

Amazing performances displayed at MoveIt last week. 

Ballet West have recently transferred into the Open University provider for their Degree which may affect funding for some. 

Laines is definietly pure MT/Triple Threat. 

It’s not just about funding and qualifications that all pupils have to consider but it’s the Graduates opportunities and contacts that the school/college can offer. Closed auditions (organised by the schools) as opposed to open (to everyone). Visits by agents to the schools. Performance opportunities and showcases. These full on shows are well worth a visit if you can manage it. Easter and year end (summer).   

Not forgetting the various summer schools on offer. 

I would have to slightly disagree with this statement about Bird being more commercial than Jazz/MT. They have one commercial class per week. Two Jazz classes, 3/4 Ballet classes, 2 Contemporary classes, 2 Tap classes plus MT classes and singing/ acting. In fact the students who love commercial dance tend to go to extra classes elsewhere on a weekend.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RosaMac said:

I would have to slightly disagree with this statement about Bird being more commercial than Jazz/MT. They have one commercial class per week. Two Jazz classes, 3/4 Ballet classes, 2 Contemporary classes, 2 Tap classes plus MT classes and singing/ acting. In fact the students who love commercial dance tend to go to extra classes elsewhere on a weekend.

Thank you for your post. I was just repeating what a member of their own teaching staff had told me just last week. Gradual shift. 

On 27 March 2018 at 18:30, balletbean said:

Interesting that I’ve just heard that there is a scholarship at Laines for pupils with strong Ballet Technique. One off Personal Scholarship not sure how to apply for it or whether it’s by invitation only. 😉

Have just seen on Facebook a young lady who has been offered 100% scholarship for Laine ...., how wonderful .

• Like 3