The Royal Ballet in class, April 17

• 2 weeks later...

That depends.  The new Thameslinks don't have Wi-Fi (along with quite a few other features you might expect these days for a journey potentially lasting several hours).  Southern appear to be rolling out Wi-Fi, but I'm not sure to what extent yet - I've found it on some trains and not others.  I can't speak for the Gatwick Express, although I should have thought so. 

I forgot: they're both run by the same parent company:

https://www.southernrailway.com/travel-information/on-board/wi-fi-on-board

https://www.thameslinkrailway.com/travel-information/on-board/wi-fi-on-board

The resident railway geek told me the specs for the new Thameslink trains were pretty low-grade, but perhaps he didn't mention anything about Wi-Fi.  They don't have any tables in Standard Class, though - unless there's different rolling stock on the Brighton line.

There is not Alison!! I was very disappointed with the new Thameslink trains as the seats are VERY close together and there are no mini tables  built into the back of them .....nice and handy when you have a coffee etc just have to put it on the floor ready to,be knocked over!!

The irony is they have just started a new through service from Cambridge to Brighton which lasts over two and a half hours so you could be longer on the Thameslink than on some inter city journeys!!....where the seats are A LOT MORE comfortable!!

its all been badly thought out in my view and they are obviously designed by people who NEVER travel by train.....and if I'm wrong I'd like to meet up with the designers very much!!

• Like 1

Sorry nothing to do with RB class but that's another gripe....just a bit too early in the morning ( travel cost wise) to get to unless you live in London already. But hope people who can get to it enjoy it it's always a pleasure to see the Professionals in class.

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

There is not Alison!! I was very disappointed with the new Thameslink trains as the seats are VERY close together and there are no mini tables  built into the back of them .....nice and handy when you have a coffee etc just have to put it on the floor ready to,be knocked over!!

The irony is they have just started a new through service from Cambridge to Brighton which lasts over two and a half hours so you could be longer on the Thameslink than on some inter city journeys!!....where the seats are A LOT MORE comfortable!!

I know: it's an absolute disgrace.  Fortunately, I don't usually have to stay on the wretched things for more than 30 minutes max, but as I said, it's very poor when you consider how long journey times could be - I think there's a new service starting from Maidstone or Gravesend and going to one of the northern termini, too (my mind is boggling at all the stations which will now be served, even occasionally, by Thameslink).  And the lighting is very harsh, too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/04/2018 at 19:20, alison said:

The new Thameslinks don't have Wi-Fi (along with quite a few other features you might expect these days for a journey potentially lasting several hours). 

I take it back: I did actually travel on a Thameslink with wi-fi the other day, so I guess it must be being rolled out slowly.  Why on earth they still couldn't have included it from the outset, though, I don't know.