DADAs 2013/2014

tutoo2much

Not sure if I am reading this correctly but it looks like DADAs here for another couple of years. At least those applying for 6th form can start planning.

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/toolsandinitiatives/efaebulletins/h00212487/issue-9/article04

Dance and Drama Awards in 2013/14

Bulletin

Date: 02 August 2012 Information for 16-19 providers and academies with sixth forms

We will continue to support access to the performing arts sector through the Dance and Drama Awards (DaDA) scheme from 2013/14. The national levels of support for 16-19 year olds will remain the same from 2013/14.

The administration of the scheme is to change. Schools will now be responsible for their own budget management and for undertaking income assessments for new learners.

The Department for Education has written to those schools administering the Dance and Drama Awards to inform them of these changes in more detail.

Edited by tutoo2much
  • Like 7

I know the DaDa's are awarded to the students showing most potential but can anyone advise as to how they are given out?

Do the schools have so many like the MDS awards? Or does it depend on how many marks you get at audition?

I know there may be changes this year with schools/colleges doing their own admin but any advice from any DP's that have already been through this process would be really appreciated.

Thankyou

A Dada is about 1250 a year, so about 400 a term then at Elmhurst boarding ontop can't remember how much. Though remember 6.1 costing us about 9,000 for the year. Even in 6.2 and 6.3 an additional approx 400 a term for meals on top of Dada plus rent. I thought Elmhurst had about 20 Dada's.

Royal Upper school is still MDS, does anyone know why they don't offer Dada's like the rest of the MDS (dance) school's do in 6th form?

You only get help with boarding costs in 6th form at Elmhurst if you earn under the magic 33,000 a year. Elmhurst do offer some additional funding but haven't worked out how you qualify for it. We applied but were told we didn't meet the criteria. Though others in DS year do! We are paying about 250 a month in rent and bills on top of the Elmhurst bill.

Would be good if the government website was updated to reflect 2012/2013 onwards. It still shows 2011/2012 details.

Edited by KathyG

It is very confusing isn't it with all the hidden costs. It sounds awful, but if you want your child to succeed at a higher level in ballet or indeed sport or the arts, it appears you do need to have money behind you. I thank god that both me and my husband are working otherwise we simply could not afford to pay for our daughters chosen career. The cost of petrol alone is enough and then if you worked everything else out then it is a wow 'how much'?

• Like 3

A Dada is about 1250 a year, so about 400 a term then at Elmhurst boarding ontop can't remember how much. Though remember 6.1 costing us about 9,000 for the year. Even in 6.2 and 6.3 an additional approx 400 a term for meals on top of Dada plus rent. I thought Elmhurst had about 20 Dada's.

Royal Upper school is still MDS, does anyone know why they don't offer Dada's like the rest of the MDS (dance) school's do in 6th form?

Hi KathyG

I believe that RBS Upper School is still MDS because they do not qualify for DaDa's as their course does not cover the Diploma in Professional Dance, only 'A' Levels.

LTD

My DD has a dada for September and the way I have looked at it is this:

Though we're paying the boarding fees and the £1,250.00 a year as well, its only marginally more than we have paid out in the last year in associate courses, travelling and classes as well as travel to school and food at school. When I added this up I was shocked as to how much we had spent!! I've found its a much easier pill to swallow when I looked at it this way :)

• Like 1

My DD has a dada for September and the way I have looked at it is this:

Though we're paying the boarding fees and the £1,250.00 a year as well, its only marginally more than we have paid out in the last year in associate courses, travelling and classes as well as travel to school and food at school. When I added this up I was shocked as to how much we had spent!! I've found its a much easier pill to swallow when I looked at it this way :)

Thats exactly how we approached things when my son first went away. When we first started investigated the costs, before ds auditioned, I well remember my dh saying we couldn't afford it! And I remember the penny dropping when I gently said that we were already spending a similar amount over the year. By the time we factored in all the costs of sending ds to our preferred secondary school plus associate lessons and music too it was cheaper to send him away!! And now I see many of my young students going off to University with all the costs that that entails whereas my ds has a job he loves and is no longer, in theory, costing us a penny...

edited to add the very best of wishes to those starting full time training next week. Work hard and have fun!

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

Looking at Elmhurst, The Hammond and Tring Park websites this morning to try to and see what the boarding/course fees were and finding it hard to find any figures? Is it me - perhaps I'm being blind??

When my DD auditoned for Elmhurst sixth form this year, I asked the finance director how much they charge on top of the DaDa contribution and she said £3,000 per term, so that's £9,000 for the first year. In the 2nd and 3rd year they move into their own flats. On top of this you have medical insurance, ballet shoes, and ballet uniform etc. Hope this helps.

When DD auditioned this year we did not really find out about boarding costs anywhere until the audition when we had either a parents talk or some paperwork explaining about accommodation and DADAs, I don't think I saw any figures for boarding on the websites. From what I was told, Tring are about the same as Elmhurst for their boarding house for 6th form but some have landlady accommodation. Hammond have no boarding house for 6th formers. Most live with landladies or share houses close to the school. Course fees should be on the website. For Hammond, click on post 16 dance and it tells you fees and what is involved in the audition. Tring has a lnk on their funding for 6th form page. I couldn't see anything for Elmhurst on their new website but it may be on the actual application form (thats where Northern's fees were shown this year). It is a huge learning curve as you go through the audition process but hopefully the outcome is worth it.

Elmhurst fees for 2011 - 2012

6th Form boarding 8298 a term

6th Forn day 6224 a term

So boarding 2074, that sounds about right by the time you add the rest Dada 400, Bupa 150, then uniform it comes to about the 3000