English National Ballet: 2018/19 Season

4 hours ago, capybara said:

And taking Khan's Giselle to the Bolshoi. That's rather special too.

I had mentioned that in my previous note, Capybara - (now on the 1st page) - along with the Chicago showing of that same - which is equally exciting I think for the Company.  .  In all:  Well done, Tamara.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

A brief financial comment.

The only new production falling into the 2018-19 financial year (1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019) is Stina Quagebeur's A Doll's House.  Christopher Wheeldon's Cinderella falls into 2019-2020 financial year.  

Does this reflect a pressure on financial resources?  The current financial year 2017-18 ends on 31 March, but the financial results will not be published until the end of 2018.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, capybara said:

And taking Khan's Giselle to the Bolshoi. That's rather special too.

Brave as well, Russian audiences are notoriously conservative.  Happy the production is going abroad though, it deserves to be seen by as wide an audience as possible.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, li tai po said:

A brief financial comment.

The only new production falling into the 2018-19 financial year (1 April 2018 to 31 March 2019) is Stina Quagebeur's A Doll's House.  Christopher Wheeldon's Cinderella falls into 2019-2020 financial year.  

Does this reflect a pressure on financial resources?  The current financial year 2017-18 ends on 31 March, but the financial results will not be published until the end of 2018.

I very much doubt it, as I imagine the vast majority of the cost of the Wheeldon (which, as I understand it, is a reworking of his existing Cinderella so it can be performed in the round) will be incurred in the current financial year.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, loveclassics said:

It also mentions a new version of Cinderella by Wheeldon.  Is this the same production recorded by the Dutch National Ballet?  I saw this on Sky Arts a few years ago starring Anna Tsygankova and Matthew Golding and liked it a lot even though it substituted four fate-like creatures clad in black for the seasonal fairies.  It's available from iTunes or you can view snippets on YouTube here:

Linda

I saw the Golding/Tsygankova Cinderella at the Coliseum and they were both superb. Whilst the chemistry was a given, what also struck me was how Golding's performance flew in the face of much of the criticism being levelled at him at the time.

• Like 5

I don't think they did, but he didn't get a whole lot of praise either, although the point that I was trying to make was that, if I remember correctly, the Dutch National Ballet's prince had a distinct personality, which he managed to flesh out reasonably adequately for someone not known as a dramatic dancer.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, for those of you with a better grasp of how ENB do their casting, which night should I book to get the best chance of seeing either Tamara Rojo or Alina Cojocaru as Manon at Milton Keynes? It’s on Wednesday to Saturday with a couple of matinees. I guess either opening night or closing night?

8 minutes ago, Timmie said:

Hi all, for those of you with a better grasp of how ENB do their casting, which night should I book to get the best chance of seeing either Tamara Rojo or Alina Cojocaru as Manon at Milton Keynes? It’s on Wednesday to Saturday with a couple of matinees. I guess either opening night or closing night?

Yes - or Friday night. But, really, anyone ENB casts as Manon will be excellent in the role.

5 minutes ago, capybara said:

Yes - or Friday night. But, really, anyone ENB casts as Manon will be excellent in the role.

:lol: that's made it harder to choose! I agree they'll probably all be good but I've only seen Rojo and Cojocaru a few times each and I'd like to see some more of them.