David Bintley leaving BRB at end of 2018-19 season

Oh wow. He will be So missed. It won't seem like BRB without him. Throughout all the years I've watched first SWRB and  then BRB, David has always been there. Just a couple of days ago his Still Life was premiered at the Sarasota Ballet with great success and I wrote congratulating the company saying his choreography needs to be seen to a greater audience. Which it does and I'm really happy that David is going to be concentrating on his gorgeous works. I wish him every success because this wonderful man deserves it!

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

May be he will finally get his knighthood!

Maybe we should nominate him!

16 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

Oh dear!  I think the company will lose its special identity unless someone like Robert Parker gets the job.  I would be very sorry to see the company become yet another clone of everything else.

Robert Parker is the name that sprang to my mind too.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

Oh dear!  I think the company will lose its special identity unless someone like Robert Parker gets the job.  I would be very sorry to see the company become yet another clone of everything else.

How about Marion Tait?  I can't think of another person who has given their life to the company and knows it inside out.

3 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

May be he will finally get his knighthood!

I do wonder if one of the reasons he is going is he is finding the lack of funding a real strain.

He certainly deserves it as everyone knows! The funding crossed my mind too. When we were discussing AD's salaries on another thread his was one of the lowest and had been decreased, it seemed amazing considering he had the greatest experience and was also the choreographer to the company?!.

• Like 6

Everything that has already been written occurs to me especially re the funding. And boy does he deserve the knighthood. The announcement says its with a heavy heart and I am sure that I am not alone in having a heavy heart right now. but I can only wish him the happiest future.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Two Pigeons said:

I think Marion is worryingly close to 70 so we could have a double loss.  I doubt that Michael O'Hare would want the job but maybe Wolfgang?

Gosh yes she is - she always seems so young! But I think she would be ideal.

Why do you doubt Michael O'Hare would want the job?

• Like 1

Very sad news, but I wish David Bintley all the best in his future endeavours.  He has done so much to enhance the reputation of BRB in so many ways.  I only hope that he promotes Brandon Lawrence to Principal before he steps down!!  :)

• Like 9

I think we are all devastated. I am sure he has found the lack of funding a problem and the politics. Marion Tait is surely too old now to take on such a burden but I hope she will be there to smooth the transition.

His successor must be a classicist by inclination. And he must have the people skills that David B has in abundance so that BRB can continue to be a family. Robert Parker would surely be ideal. The Board has a really difficult job on its hands. It has made at least one horrific mistake on the Admin side in recent years so we must pray for enlightenment now.

• Like 4

Outside of Marion Tait  - the glorious Marion Tate - is there another woman who might be fitting for this role?  I enjoyed Jessica Lang's Wink very much - but realise that an appointment of someone like that might take away the 'family feeling' that has been so keenly admired by many here - and, of course, she is not British.  

What about a joint directorship between Marion Tait and Desmond Kelly.  I realise neither is young ... but perhaps with two burdens could be shared ???? .... Both have close relationships with the Company ... although I realise that Mr. Kelly is not British born either.  Just a suggestion.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bruce Wall said:

Outside of Marion Tait  - the glorious Marion Tate - is there another woman who might be fitting for this role?  I enjoyed Jessica Lang's Wink very much - but realise that an appointment of someone like that might take away the 'family feeling' that has been so keenly admired by many here - and, of course, she is not British.  

What about a joint directorship between Marion Tait and Desmond Kelly.  I realise neither is young ... but perhaps with two burdens could be shared ???? .... Both have close relationships with the Company ... although I realise that Mr. Kelly is not British born either.  Just a suggestion.  

I have huge admiration for both Marion Tait and Desmond Kelly, though I would have thought it unlikely that they would want to do this at this stage. I have no idea who will be appointed, but just to mention that a number of the RB's directors have not been British born, so I think that that is unlikely to be a relevant criterion in considering candidates for BRB.

• Like 3

Bruce - Another woman, you ask?  One who is young, British, RBS trained and thus 'family,' with prior experience as a Company Director and an established international reputation as an intelligent choreographer?  I give you Cathy Marston.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, MAB said:

Perhaps now he doesn't have divided loyalties he could create something for the RB at ROH.

He created quite a few in the early 80s though the only ones I can remember are Galanteries (?spelling), Still Life at the Penguin Cafe and something Egyptian about Horus.  Apart from Still Life which is still being performed by BRB I don't think any of his early works are in any company's repertoire today.  Personally I would love him to create something new for the RB but I suppose Mcgregor's strange offerings will continue to take precedence.

Linda

• Like 2

Just caught up with this unexpected and sad news . What a fantastic director David has been and how much he will be missed. These are big shoes to fill and at a difficult time. I hope that David's opinions, of who should take up the mantle, will be sought and given high consideration.

As has been previously noted, one positive outcome is this will enable him to have more time and energy to focus on choreography along with the recognition as Sir David Bintley- a title he so richly deserves.

• Like 8

18 minutes ago, loveclassics said:

He created quite a few in the early 80s though the only ones I can remember are Galanteries (?spelling), Still Life at the Penguin Cafe and something Egyptian about Horus.  Apart from Still Life which is still being performed by BRB I don't think any of his early works are in any company's repertoire today.  Personally I would love him to create something new for the RB but I suppose Mcgregor's strange offerings will continue to take precedence.

Linda

Sons of Horus and Tombeaux - both of which have been performed by BRB but not that recently.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Sons of Horus and Tombeaux - both of which have been performed by BRB but not that recently.

Also Young Apollo, a perfect vehicle for certain of the RB's younger male dancers.  It would be wonderful to hear Benjamin Britten's music in the house again especially as the Royal Opera seems to have forgotten of his existence.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I realise that this thread has really run its course but if it is not too late may I return to the vexed knighthood question. Several of us have raised the subject before but in view of events I feel it has become more urgent. Personally I would dearly like him to get this honour BEFORE he leaves us rather than on his departure. The problem is how to get the ball rolling. I presume a request to Downing Street is the correct approach but would one person doing this be sufficient or is a petition necessary. If the latter,how can we get this going? I know that someone mentioned that he may not want it and I agree that he is a very modest man but as he accepted his OBE I can’t help but feel that he may not be averse. What do others think?

• Like 2

On 06/03/2018 at 15:40, Two Pigeons said:
32 minutes ago, George C said:

I realise that this thread has really run its course but if it is not too late may I return to the vexed knighthood question. Several of us have raised the subject before but in view of events I feel it has become more urgent. Personally I would dearly like him to get this honour BEFORE he leaves us rather than on his departure. The problem is how to get the ball rolling. I presume a request to Downing Street is the correct approach but would one person doing this be sufficient or is a petition necessary. If the latter,how can we get this going? I know that someone mentioned that he may not want it and I agree that he is a very modest man but as he accepted his OBE I can’t help but feel that he may not be averse. What do others think?

It is an excellent idea and I for one would support it. I'm sorry I'm not able to give you any advice on how to make it happen.

David Bintley is such an amazing man and he really deserves a knighthood.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

You have to fill out forms obtainable online (I think Cabinet Office), and provide supporting evidence and others who support your nomination. It's demanding and time-consuming (I did it for someone a few years ago, and they haven't received an honour in spite of all my efforts!). I think that now he's leaving they will probably be prodded into giving him a knighthood anyway, though it shouldn't have taken a resignation for that to happen.

• Like 2