Has anyone chaperoned for EYB before?

Lemongirl

I'd take plenty of food and drink with you as you're "on duty" all the time you are there. Having chaperoned a few times for EYB I found it was fun but busy!! There may be spot visits by the local authority inspectors (west sussex were very hot on this) and obviously it could be very serious (worst case scenario would be immediate shut down) if they feel there is at any time inadequate chaperone supervision.

Enjoy your time and take plenty of spare hairpins, grips,etc as there will probably be someone who forgets to pack something or has a "hair emergency" especially the younger ones. A sewing kit is useful to have too.

J x

Edited by Elliepops
  • Like 3

I chaperoned up at Newcastle it was my first time and it was such a great experience!! There is a rota that will tell you what group of children you are looking after at each performance then you are responsible for ensuring they reach the stage in adequate time and also keeping them quiet in the wings as they are normally quite excited before and during performances. Also keeping them out of the flight path of the principal dancers as they are coming on and off the stage. Ben and Dominic are always on hand to help and answer any questions. You will find that as the performances go on the children and chaperones become quite adept at knowing when they need to be on and off the stage.

In terms of food I tended to take favourite sarnies and plenty of snacks (not sugary ones)!! for myself and DD. Plenty of water or soft drinks. If you are chaperoning over 2 performances your break tends to be with the children as they dont leave the building and they cant be left on their own. I remember getting a break when I had been doing a matinee then I was watching the evening performance.

You will have a ball, it is tiring but I really enjoyed helping the children with make up hair and clothes and it was great fun seeing everyone having such an enjoyable time.

Good luck

Ax

• Like 3

Don't forget to pack your camera in your bag for the Saturday matinee as you'll probably bring some children through to the auditorium for photos and they will make sure that you're able to photograph your dd in her group. :-)

I'm there this afternoon, too. Your dd will need two lots of food for Friday and Saturday, (lunch and tea).

Also, take headache tablets for yourself, as it can get stuffy in the dressing rooms, and maybe also a supply of coffee...

Safety pins are not allowed for costume adjustments or emergency repairs, but the wardrobe lady is great and mends things in a jiffy when needed.

• Like 2

I have chaperoned for my ex DDs ballet school at shows and done the crèche at church on Sundays.It can be very hard work. "Where are your shoes?", "Who is doing your make up?", "No talking in the wings!" and as for 6 crying babies and toddlers in the crèche - oy veh!

Edited by Fiz
  • Like 2

Think I drew the short straw as I was in a dressing room with 28! of the youngest girls. Me and 2 other chaperones. But they were all v well behaved and it was relatively easy yesterday as no costumes and make up to worry about. It was good fun to see what goes on behind the scenes.

Good luck to everyone for tonight!

• Like 2