RBS associate Vs festivals

DanceMum83

Hi, does anyone have a child that is currently a Junior associate that also does dance festivals? Just wondered how you find it and whether you have spoken to RBS about it? From what I understand its kind of looked down on to do the festivals, so I presume it's not a good enough reason to miss any sessions. So far my dd has put royal over festivals and hasn't missed any sessions, however becoming increasingly difficult when she is now in groups and has duet partners etc, Any advice or similar experience?

Edited by DanceMum83
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

Hi DanceMum83, I would talk to your child's regular dance  teacher since presumably they put her forward to audition for JAs in the first place and are supportive of her doing it. It ought to be possible to schedule e.g. duet rehearsals at other times. I always used to email my dd's associate schedule to the dance school as soon as I got it, and if ever there was a clash with a dance rehearsal would politely point this out. If her non vocational dance school really want her to be in a group they will find a way to make it work :). Personally I would always put associate schemes ahead of festivals.

I've answered in the JA thread, saying that for my son and daughter, JAs always came first. They were lucky to have their sort-after places and training to me at that time was more important than performance. We were lucky that our local festivals usually put groups on Sundays or late on Saturdays and our local dance school were delighted that they  were RBS JAs and it was understood how important it was. 

• Like 4

DS was a JA and did lots of festivals including nationals and the dance world cup. He was also a cathedral chorister, so i seemed to spend all my time juggling, prioritising and apologising to everyone about why he might be late or why we were prioritising one thing over another. That said, we only ever missed JAs if he actually had a festival at the same time as a class or there was a cathedral service scheduled at the same time (which was rare as his ja classes were on a sat.) I always tried to give lots of notice as others have said and always told the truth about where he was. He was never ‘ill’. I think a variety of experiences is good for them, although he did get very tired. That said, i don’t miss the juggling now he is away at school.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your responses! Appreciated. I guess Inwas just unsure if how Royal will take it if I say she’s missing due to a festival. So far we’ve missed the festivals but there may be some that are harder to get out of and that results in her missing class. but just wasn’t sure of what they their reaction at Royal would be. 

15 hours ago, Wigglybunny said:

DS was a JA and did lots of festivals including nationals and the dance world cup. He was also a cathedral chorister, so i seemed to spend all my time juggling, prioritising and apologising to everyone about why he might be late or why we were prioritising one thing over another. That said, we only ever missed JAs if he actually had a festival at the same time as a class or there was a cathedral service scheduled at the same time (which was rare as his ja classes were on a sat.) I always tried to give lots of notice as others have said and always told the truth about where he was. He was never ‘ill’. I think a variety of experiences is good for them, although he did get very tired. That said, i don’t miss the juggling now he is away at school.

How did they take this when you told them that he would be missing classes due to competitions? Doyou mind me asking which centre of associates he was a part of? 

On 27/02/2018 at 18:53, Littlebear said:

My daughter due to dance next Jan at festival so would be interested to hear how RB are with you? When is your DD due to be in festival? 

It will be more come towards the ending of the year, with it being an all England final qualifying year

I always spoke directly to his teacher and she was very understanding. That said, though, we made every effort to catch up on any missed work etc. We were at b’ham.

Also, often festivals are in the school holidays, so it can mean that JAs actually isn’t on that same weekend. We were lucky in that regard a couple of times. 

Edited by Wigglybunny