Giggling at the Ballet? Or other performances!

20 hours ago, bridiem said:

Just remembered that performance of Fille a few years ago when the pony (can't remember his name) came on a little too far downstage; and so with every step he took, the backcloth came with him... Even the dancers were laughing.

Yes, that was actually the cinema broadcast - Philip Mosley had to hop off pretty smartly to disentangle the backdrop before the whol thing came down!

• Like 2

Angela wrote: "Do you know this video? You can hear the giggles :D"

Thank you for bringing it, Angela. This was my favourite for ages. I suppose it was his last day with the company.

I have read about what happened once at a performance of “The Pharaoh’s Daughter”. The actor who had to do the part of the Lion was taken ill and Marius Petipa told someone else to replace him. That chap prepared seriously, danced everything on stage that was needed but was very scared of jumping down from the bridge. So, when the rifle aimed at him has fired, he — before he jumped — crossed himself. A Christian lion in the Ancient Egypt! The audience was rocked with laughter.

Edited by Amelia
layout
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, zxDaveM said:

think the guy in the back was probably doing his last stage appearance - and took advantage  of that opportunity!!  LOL

oops - just noticed the title, so if it wasn't supposed to be his last show - he certainly made it so!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Sharon said:

Hilarious! Who is it?

I have no idea!! It looks like some smaller American company, maybe. I came across the link some time ago and like to watch it now and then. Either the guy was drunk or very angry with the casting decisions...  :)

• Like 3

On 27/02/2018 at 23:18, alison said:

It was indeed Cass, and his debut, I think: I remember reading about it in an interview with him a few years afterwards.  I seem to remember he said at least it was just a plain grey pair rather than a stripey one!

I think you both might enjoy this video: https://youtu.be/KfNbFm-zwf4

Different dancers (Natalia Makarova/Kevin McKenzie) but look out for the appearance of the grey jogging bottoms!

• Like 6

was thinking of the moment in Margurite and Armand last year, when Alessandra Ferri's hairpiece fell off as she lunged for the chaise.  What made me giggle was not that the hairpiece fell off, as her character was very distraught at this point and Marguerite may well have been wearing a hairpiece, but rather the attempts of a corps member to try to disguise it by placing his foot on it and shuffling backwards, so that he looked like he had trodden on a rat.

• Like 8

I used to watch ballet very intensely until I started to bring my hubby with me a few years ago, who only comes along to please me. During his first RB Giselle, his attention was caught, not by the young lovers, but by Hilarion, who he found to be worthy of his name and hilarious. The dancer (a favourite on here as a character artist) was putting in a very committed performance, but I think the jealousy and mime was too much for hubby and he pretty much laughed his way through the first act. 🙄 I still love Giselle but it's hard for me to watch Hilarion without feeling a bit bemused now.

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Sunrise said:

I used to watch ballet very intensely until I started to bring my hubby with me a few years ago, who only comes along to please me. During his first RB Giselle, his attention was caught, not by the young lovers, but by Hilarion, who he found to be worthy of his name and hilarious. The dancer (a favourite on here as a character artist) was putting in a very committed performance, but I think the jealousy and mime was too much for hubby and he pretty much laughed his way through the first act. 🙄 I still love Giselle but it's hard for me to watch Hilarion without feeling a bit bemused now.

That's interesting, Sunrise. I suppose when you've been watching ballet for a while it's easy to forget how stylised it is, sometimes even 'operatic' (though actually I don't really enjoy opera). Even with the RB's 'naturalistic' style, it's not a 'normal' medium. So if you don't find yourself drawn into it it could easily seem OTT etc. I think it's necessary to suspend disbelief and enter into a new world, so to speak. It seemed to happen for me automatically; but clearly not for everyone.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, bridiem said:

That's interesting, Sunrise. I suppose when you've been watching ballet for a while it's easy to forget how stylised it is, sometimes even 'operatic' (though actually I don't really enjoy opera). Even with the RB's 'naturalistic' style, it's not a 'normal' medium. So if you don't find yourself drawn into it it could easily seem OTT etc. I think it's necessary to suspend disbelief and enter into a new world, so to speak. It seemed to happen for me automatically; but clearly not for everyone.

The funny thing is that I've reached the point where "straight" theatre seems artificial and mannered whereas I have no such problems with opera or ballet. Presumably it's because opera and ballet pretty much force you into a state of suspended disbelief whereas straight theatre usually aims at realism.

• Like 5

On 27/02/2018 at 17:23, Riva said:

Not ballet... but a few years ago I went to see Les Mis with my mum and sister. Without spoiling it for anyone who doesn’t know the story, it gets a bit emotional towards the end and I certainly felt a tear beginning to silently well in my eye. Unfortunately the performance was overwhelming for a patron a few rows in front of us, who burst into tears and started sobbing quite loudly. I did feel for her, but it definitely broke the spell for much of the audience who promptly burst into giggles.

Saw Les Mis a couple of years ago (am a die hard fan) however the girl who was playing Fantine couldn’t pronounce her “r’s” so “I dweamed a dweam of time gone by” reduced me to tears.  

• Like 5

If you go to see Northern Ballet and you can see into the orchestra pit do keep an eye out when the "welcome to this performance...." announcement starts.  If company pianist Andrew Dunlop is in the pit he mimes the whole announcement causing much hilarity amongst those of us who notice!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

If you go to see Northern Ballet and you can see into the orchestra pit do keep an eye out when the "welcome to this performance...." announcement starts.  If company pianist Andrew Dunlop is in the pit he mimes the whole announcement causing much hilarity amongst those of us who notice!

I'll keep an eye out tonight at Jane Eyre!

• Like 2