Why is a pointe shoe like a car?

Pas de Quatre

Having spent some time over half term going with pupils for their first pointe shoe fitting I had to explain to DH why it takes so long.  Not that he resents it, but he just wondered.  I came up with the car explanation which helped him "get" it.  There are various manufacturers and brands and within each brand there is a range of models with different options.  Then for the shoes there is the sizing, length, width, strength of shank, profile height, length of vamp etc. plus the possibility of various other tweaks.  Thank goodness pointe shoes usually all come in the same colour - unless to match a costume! 

• Like 11

the car analogy is a good one ,   dancers are the  main ( if not only) group of people who think  really hard about shoe choice  ( ok serious track and field athletes  do  to a degree but  their customisation beyond the  basic  length / width  is  slot in  ( i.e. orthotics and  custom insoles) or   the equivalent to   ribbon and  elastics  choices ..

even if pointe shoes  themselves  came fully into the 21st century  in  terms of  how they  were made ,  you'd still have all the options and  you;d still need to  sew your own ribbons -  

• Like 1

Oh I think I'd pay for that ribbon sewing service....!

On that point, is there at all a market for selling a brand new pair of pointe shoes that DD 'perfectly broke in ready to dance in' but that she grew out of before I (yes...apparently that was my job...Hmmmm) got round to sewing ribbons on & elastics & darning.....almost £50 thrown away is gutting.....:(

Incidentally, I suspect the reason for dancers (even Principals) sewing their own ribbons is that each dancer likes particular ribbons in a particular length, sewn at an angle and a position peculiar to them.  Even if shoes came preribboned, no doubt most dancers would unpick them and reposition them! 

• Like 6

There is also this Facebook group, which was suggested by a member here to me last year.  I spent so much time there, I was made into an Admin!  We often have pointe shoes for sale for exactly that reason.... tried on, ribbons sewn, brands changed.  

Come give us a look :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1417886585123947/

• Like 1

The shoes in question are Bloch style Hannah size 4.5 width XX    also stamped on sole is SO 109 (am guessing the last is code of maker?)

They are, as I said 'broken in' by a DD in full time training so not suitable for a beginner foot I suspect as really are 'performance ready' New I think they are c. £50

Any offers??? Will post on 'for sale' section as suggested - thanks!

Interesting to know! If machine made, does that make more consistency I wonder or less?? I know back in my day I found a Porselli shoe in a particular size & width & they were always best when had a particular symbol (I forget now what it was...a diamond or kite I think....)stamped on bottom which I think I was told was the individual hand maker's mark....But when you see Freed's being made on interesting video shown at RB cinema screenings, it would suggest that there are several makers each involved at different stages of each shoe....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Interesting to know! If machine made, does that make more consistency I wonder or less?? I know back in my day I found a Porselli shoe in a particular size & width & they were always best when had a particular symbol (I forget now what it was...a diamond or kite I think....)stamped on bottom which I think I was told was the individual hand maker's mark....But when you see Freed's being made on interesting video shown at RB cinema screenings, it would suggest that there are several makers each involved at different stages of each shoe....

Yes, machine made shoes are more consistent, so if you order a pair of Bloch Hannahs in your size and width from an online supplier and another pair from a shop, they are going to be the same in terms of platform width, angle, vamp length and so on.  Freed Studios (and all variations thereof) are machine made.  

Freed Classics (and Classic Pro/Light/hard etc) are hand made by the various "Makers", so all differ slightly in box, platform, wings, vamp, hardness, and so on.  It's fascinating to see the Makers at work; the speed they work at is amazing.  Once the handmade shoes are formed and "baked", the machine operators finish them by adding the drawstring and trimmings and so on.   But each maker forms the entire shoe himself, angles the platform etc. - they're like little works of art.  

You lose a tiny bit of consistency but you gain the ability to order or customise the shoe to your own specification.  

Wow - this is all so interesting! Is there much of a price hike from the machine made shoe to the handmade ones such as Freed Studios v. Freed Classics? I was never fitted in Freed as have a very narrow foot but now wonder if that's irrelevant if you get a handmade shoe (DD similarly narrow)....does the shop fit for these or take a mould or something?

I think there's a small difference in price between Studios and Classic but only a few pounds, if I remember.  Both models come in several widths and there's often the option to send them back to the factory for adjustment, or for doing a special order if you're between sizes.  

I probably sound like an advert for Freed but dd wears both Freed and Gaynors now.   However, years ago she had a dreadful fitting at another shop in London which resulted in entirely the wrong shoes and nearly stopping pointework.  Michelle, and afterwards Beth at Freed came to the rescue and ever since then they have always found just the right shoe for her via customisations.  Freed shoes aren't right for everyone, but that's the same with any shoe. :)

• Like 1

Does anyone else find that the makers are out of stock basically all the time? I stuck two fingers through a hole in my flats after class on Thursday and looking at the Bloch UK website, nearly everything is a stockout for some combination of style, width, and size. Also it looks like there are about two pairs of Sansha Prince 2C going in the whole country and they aren't in my size. (Plenty in France, but they won't ship from there to here although they will to St Pierre et Miquelon.)

I've always wanted to get my DD into Freeds (Brand I always wore) but unfortunately we don't have access to their shop and our local dance shop struggles with structural damp and can't stock Freed. However, just last month I decided to try 'Straight to the Pointe' with Leanne Bisson having watched many videos posted by her about Grishko Pointes online. Due to our geographical location the fitting was done by mulitple photographs bare feet and in her existing shoes via email not forgetting hours per week of dancing and level/Grade.  Brilliant prompt service incl new toe pads and toes spaces not forgetting ribbon sewing, elastic sewing AND darning all available. 2 pairs of new shoes both in model and size. Paid on line. Perfect fit with the new Gishko Miracle (padded inside). = One very happy DD and one very much lighter wallet!! Lauren does travel all over England for shoe fittings but for those out there who struggle to find a fitter close to home I would totally recommend Lauren without a doubt. :)

• Like 2

ARGH. I saw the Barcelona Sansha website showing 10+ pairs in stock in my size. I happened to be going there. the shop told me there were NONE, only on the website that won't ship to the UK.

(Also they seriously struggled with the idea of a MAN who DANCES and IS A FOREIGN and DOES NOT WANT TO BE FITTED FOR POINTES, but that's secondary)

17 hours ago, TYR said:

ARGH. I saw the Barcelona Sansha website showing 10+ pairs in stock in my size. I happened to be going there. the shop told me there were NONE, only on the website that won't ship to the UK.

(Also they seriously struggled with the idea of a MAN who DANCES and IS A FOREIGN and DOES NOT WANT TO BE FITTED FOR POINTES, but that's secondary)

if Sansha  Espana is anything like Sansha UK  , the mail order warehouse will be hundreds of miles from the  flagship store  ...  (AIUI  Sanasha UK  mail order is handled from the hull site )