The Royal Ballet: The Winter's Tale, London, Spring 2018

2 hours ago, bridiem said:

Well now you mention it...

Seriously, I think it's a whole lot more than a vehicle for lovely dancing. As is Swan Lake; and La Sylphide. The only full-length work I can think of that could be so described is Jewels; and even there, there are hints, and mysteries, and glances, and thoughts...

I agree - for me the dancing becomes lovely not just from the choreography, and  the dancers' technique, athleticism and poise, but from its relationship with a story that you can connect with emotionally. 

Of course the story does not have to be wholly (or at all) believable  in the real-world sense,  but I think  we should expect a certain degree of  logic and meaning, within its own parameters, for a ballet to be  fully successful. And discussing a few plot foibles along the way is part of the enjoyment!

• Like 4

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, one thing which has really been bugging me this run - and perhaps I should just pay more attention: The Tree.  Do the dancers actually add any charms or whatever they are to the tree or are they just pretending?  Because if they're actually adding them each time then either some lucky beggar has to take them all off again afterwards, or the tree's going to get more and more heavily populated as the run goes on!

Funny what goes through your mind when you're watching a ballet, isn't it? ;)  Maybe I should get the DVD out and see if I can work it out, then I can stop thinking about it!

• Like 2

My mother was sitting next to me at a performance early in the current run, and as the curtain fell on Act 1, she said, “There is NO WAY you’d remain in full sail if you were that close to rocks in that weather”. :D

• Like 7

2 hours ago, alison said:

Okay, one thing which has really been bugging me this run - and perhaps I should just pay more attention: The Tree.  Do the dancers actually add any charms or whatever they are to the tree or are they just pretending?  Because if they're actually adding them each time then either some lucky beggar has to take them all off again afterwards, or the tree's going to get more and more heavily populated as the run goes on!

Funny what goes through your mind when you're watching a ballet, isn't it? ;)  Maybe I should get the DVD out and see if I can work it out, then I can stop thinking about it!

Think they add a small handful in specific spots, so they know which to take off again in the interval 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RuthE said:

My mother was sitting next to me at a performance early in the current run, and as the curtain fell on Act 1, she said, “There is NO WAY you’d remain in full sail if you were that close to rocks in that weather”. :D

Yes, I try to prevent myself from thinking why didn't they reef!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RuthE said:

We thought that, too. I tried to explain it away by the suddenness of the storm not leaving time to get sails down.

• Like 1

Just back from the final performance and I thought it was stunning. I loved Bonelli's Leontes, beautifully danced and you could feel the grief and remorse. Kaneko and Takada both lovely, particularly Takada with Alexander Campbell. And I noticed Joseph Sissens thoroughly enjoying himself, well on the way, to my mind, being an excellent dancer with good partnering skills. Quite surprised at the highly enthusiastic applause for the orchestra, rather more than for the dancers. Even the tree got applauded! Have now seen 5 different Leontes - it really is,a marvellous part for a dancer and a part that each has bought something different to.

• Like 7

I stand to be corrected on this particular - but, in any scale of the unlikelihoods encountered during Winter's Tale, the sailing techniques of the crew carrying the exiled child would, I would have thought, have ranked moderately low.  However, I'll be the first to admit that we all have our little areas of expertise, and I admit to being similarly smitten by the improbability of military details in many theatrical productions.  Heaven knows what bear keepers think about it all.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Ian Macmillan said:

I stand to be corrected on this particular - but, in any scale of the unlikelihoods encountered during Winter's Tale, the sailing techniques of the crew carrying the exiled child would, I would have thought, have ranked moderately low.  However, I'll be the first to admit that we all have our little areas of expertise, and I admit to being similarly smitten by the improbability of military details in many theatrical productions.  Heaven knows what bear keepers think about it all.

If you want to see a great good quality bear visit the RSC in Stratford upon Avon. He moves around a bit but is usually to be seen near the entrance to the Circle. And I o certainly saw him reading a newspaper in the gardens near the theatre! 

• Like 4

I thoroughly enjoyed last night's performance too - I think something has happened to Federico since Mayerling. He was always a very elegant dancer and lovely partner  but he seems to have much more confidence in his acting abilities - I saw the first night Giselle with Marianela and again he acted superbly in my opinion.  Both Kaneki and Takada danced beautifully and the last act was really moving. I thought Campbell was very charismatic as Florizel - he doesn't always do it for me in the classical roles but this part suited him very well. Always a pleasure to see Sambe lighting up the stage and I agree with ninamargaret about Sissens - I do find my eye is very often drawn to him. I was a bit worried about Tierney Heap as Paulina - for me she has a quite dramatic, sort of 1940s style, glamour on the stage which I felt might not suit this part, but she was excellent - It was so clear the way that Leontes looked to her for guidance and that she was leading him to redemption. All in all a lovely evening but where I was sitting the audience seemed to thin out a bit over time which was odd as everyone seemed totally engrossed.

Finally, does anyone know what the protest (I assume it was a protest) was outside the ROH  - there seemed to be a lot of trumpets sounding but no idea what was going on?

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, BMC said:

Finally, does anyone know what the protest (I assume it was a protest) was outside the ROH  - there seemed to be a lot of trumpets sounding but no idea what was going on?

Apparently, they are former employees of the contractor working on the Open Up development at the ROH who lost their jobs as a result of malpractice of some kind and are protesting about this.

7 minutes ago, capybara said:

Apparently, they are former employees of the contractor working on the Open Up development at the ROH who lost their jobs as a result of malpractice of some kind and are protesting about this.

Yes they said they were sacked due to minor timekeeping misdemeanours and feel it may be connected to their membership of/involvement in a union that (I think) recently won the London living wage?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, zxDaveM said:

I did very much enjoy the performance last night - Fumi Kaneko so poised and elegant as Hermione, and Akane Takada so exuberant as Perdita in act 2. Class will out, and all that! 

Spot on , both of them wonderful !

In fact it was the first full performance of WT I've seen since the opening run and to my surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought Fede's Leontes was terrific. All the darkness & madness were there but in a less is more way that I personally find more effective and appealing than OTT tortured grimacing.  Tierney Heap's Paulina was very moving.  Campbell deals easily with all the quick Florizel steps choreographed on McRae and he has a more attractive warm and sunnier stage presence. He and Takada made those awkward Act 2 lifts looks as natural and attractive as I suspect it's possible to make them. Sambe and Magri were on fine form - what a great Basil and Kitri pairing they'd be. I didn't think there was a weak link in the cast last night and the corps looked great, dancing with all out commitment. 

Edited by annamk
typo
  • Like 12

Agree with Anna.  A wonderful way to end the run.  Everyone danced beautifully, but it was Tierney Heap who particularly impressed me with her dramatic and emotional interpretation of Paulina.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Just to emphasise that the ROH itself is not the employer here

Thank you, capybara, for pointing that out, because I'm sure most of us would have assumed that they were, given the location of the protesters and their banners.  I found it rather intimidating on Saturday night.

Wish I'd been able to go to last night's cast, because I really wanted to see them, but unfortunately timings were inappropriate, so I had to go the night before instead.  The upshot of that was multiple viewings of Hirano's Leontes, when I'd have preferred to see a wider range.

Final performance of Winter’s Tale yesterday and I agree very much with the plaudits for Federico Bonelli, Fumi Kaneko, Akane Takada and Alexander Campbell.  These were all beautifully judged and made for a memorably moving culmination to this run.  I’m sorry I only managed the rehearsal and last two performances, with the snow preventing my seeing the cinema live relay and encore.  

I was also very impressed with Lukas Bjorneboe Braendsrod as Polixenes.  I’ve seen stronger, more commanding Paulinas but there was much to like in Tierney Heap’s reserved portrayal.  

Great to have Marcelino Sambe and Mayara Magri dancing so exuberantly and Gary Avis as Father Shepherd again.  It was supposed to be Bennet Gartside but Benn danced Antigonus and I thought made a real impact - I don't think anyone quite conveys ‘terrified’ as much as Benn.

As always the Corps make a fabulous contribution to the evening.  Act 2 is joyous - Anna Rose O’Sullivan and Calvin Richardson caught my eye as well as Joseph Sissens.

Having read some of the recent posts, I looked afresh at some parts of last night’s performance.  I do agree that more could be done to establish the relationship between Paulina and Antigonus.  I don't think they dance together - Paulina danced with Polixenes’ Steward in Act 1.

I think Leontes’ jealousy and imaginations of Hermione/Polixenes’ affair are brilliantly conceived and executed.  I haven't noticed missed synchronisations in lighting in performances I’ve seen.

I’ve always enjoyed the bear backcloth and as I say Benn was convincingly petrified.  But I’m less keen on some of the other backcloth tableau: the ship and sea look ‘too model like’ and I much prefer the more suggestive, less lifelike bear.  I do wonder about the contribution made by the embarking/disembarking actions on and off ship.  There’s also an arbitrariness in Act 3 as we only see Florizel’s ship.

I know Act 2 is the spring time festival and not a marriage celebration but it heralds Florizel and Perdita’s engagement and provides a fabulous opportunity for their dancing.  I like the handling of Act 3 where the dramatic climax as Mary suggests is the complex reconciliation.  I think an extended wedding celebration and Pas de Deux would rather get in the way of the thrust of the closing drama.

I agree with bridiem and Richard LH: narrative ballets work best where we genuinely care what happens to characters and how issues are resolved.  In Winter’s Tale I am moved by at least four main characters, want to understand their actions and motivations, and how they gain a measure of reconciliation.  There’s also a wealth of smaller parts making for an extraordinarily rich evening.  And further viewing has to date certainly increased my appreciation and enjoyment.  In some ballets we may find we don't care about the characters - Strapless, Isadora, (Age of Anxiety - not yet seen so will reserve judgement)?  And so the question is what’s the point of those performances.  If the dancing is also of little interest, then it’s an easy choice not to go again.  There are so many productions that do enrich, move and inspire, including for me Winter’s Tale.  And with the Royal Ballet dancing so consistently well, we are absolutely spoiled with much to savour in the latter months of this season and great excitement for next year.

• Like 11

Thank you JohnS you leave little for me to say! Great review of such an enjoyable evening. We had a bad start as the demonstrators outside was alarming and noisy and my wheelchair pusher lost concentration and made a good effort of tipping me out. So many kind people came to help us, I am so grateful. All forgotten when ballet started.

The blackness, choreography and music of the opening were riveting for me. I was caught up straight away. I know my next observation is silly but I was drawn to the crowns of the two kings. They were like Christmas cracker crowns, once I thought that I couldn’t get rid of the thought. I know the crowns are symbolic and important. The weakness was mine.

So glad to have seen Bennet Gartside as Antigonus - no recognition in our cast sheet, he is a fine dancer and actor as well. I benefited much from Insight evening, picked up so much more than my last viewing, good to see Christopher Saunders in the audience, what a great coach/teacher he is. I endorse all JohnS said about individual performances. I would like to add that the great appreciation of the orchestra was well deserved. What a great evening ( sorry about the crowns). Another unnecessary comment I do miss the red suited footmen presenting the flowers. Doesn’t look the same in suits! 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Jillykins said:

I do miss the red suited footmen presenting the flowers. Doesn’t look the same in suits! 

When did they change from red-suited footmen to dinner-jacketed presenters?

Actually, the footmen who attended the curtains and presented flowers etc on stage wore blue tail coats along with britches , tights and buckled shoes. They also wore white wigs in a reasonable facsimile of 19th century court dress. A quick look at dvds of pre 1999 performances should convince you of the accuracy of the colour. The two linksmen at front of house wore red frock coats and, when outside the building, black silk top hats. I miss them all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Actually, the footmen who attended the curtains and presented flowers etc on stage wore blue tail coats along with britches , tights and buckled shoes. They also wore white wigs in a reasonable facsimile of 19th century court dress. A quick look at dvds of pre 1999 performances should convince you of the accuracy of the colour.

Funny, my memory has them matching the curtains :)

• Like 1

I thought they matched curtains too. I am remembering 60s and 70s but can’t trust my memory! Pleased the cast change in programme as not in loose cast sheets. It is so good to share memories. Blue or red they gave a great feel of a special occasion!  

• Like 1

I thought the curtain was a deeper maroon rather than today's red but perhaps we were watching in black and white?

Cast change slips were available with the cast lists when I picked up mine so I'm sorry Jillykins missed getting one.