Long shot - shopping advice London or Bham

Pups_mum

I know this is unlikely, but it's worth asking!

DD has a new festival Song and Dance routine, ready to perform in a couple of weeks. Negligent mother has forgotten to get a costume unfortunately and it's now waay too short notice for our usual dressmaker to make one.

We are off to London this afternoon and then to Birmingham on Weds (accompanying husband on an exciting business trip!). Does anyone by any chance no anywhere in either city that sells "off the peg" costumes? She's singing a song from Disney's Sleeping Beauty and needs a kind of peasant style dress. Or alternatively, does anyone know anywhere that makes cstumes to measure VERY fast?!

I would just go to somewhere like Primark - should be able to find a gypsy-type skirt & puff-sleeved blouse then a bolero-type top which you may have to adapt or make/hire. I made all my dds festival costumes often just adapting/altering charity shop finds which usually worked out cheaper than buying material. I am fortunate in that our town has lots of good charity shops - I even have a loyalty card for one shop!

• Like 3

It's a pity you're coming to Brum on Wednesday. If it was Tuesday, Thursday or Friday the Rag Market would be open and there is a costume stall inside. It's pot luck as to what you'll find as they have ever changing stock.

There's http://www.fancydressoasis.co.uk/ in Oasis, which is at the top of Corporation Street. I've never been there so I can't comment.

Alternatively, there's http://www.alteredim...owroom-27-w.asp which is a 30 min bus ride out of town (934 route).

Mr Yellow Pages says this place http://www.fancydres...alog/index.html is in Digbeth, not far from The Custard Factory. They don't appear to have a showroom, but they do have a load of costumes. You might be able to arrange to pick something up from them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update on this - the costume from Crazy Ladies arrived bang on time and i'm very pleased with it. the lady i spoke to on the phone was very helpful and even suggested they could different colours to the ones shown on their website when I described what dance it was for. The dress looks lovely and I thought the price was extremely reasonable. I had really planned this as just a "stop gap" until I could get our regular dressmaker to make something but I won't need to, this one is great. Hope it's ok to make such comments here (I have no connection to the company beyond being a satisfied customer) but on this experience I can definitely recommend Crazy Ladies - lovely dress,excellent customer service and sensible pricing.

• Like 5