Good Luck/Audition results 2018

TooTu

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, Sarah2203 said:

@margarite there  was 32 kids auditioning yesterday! The school have already been in touch early  this morning and offered a place to my dd (though I know majority of kids get offered a place). She'll be over the moon though she gets to go back next week for the funding audition.

Congrats on the place. Not everyone gets a place. Dd1 had place with bursary last year but due to personal circs could not accept. This time she was not accepted. It is confusing as she has matured well over last yr in dance. The physio did say she has hyper mobile joints so I wonder if this could be the issue? It has never caused her any issues.

1 hour ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Congrats on the place. Not everyone gets a place. Dd1 had place with bursary last year but due to personal circs could not accept. This time she was not accepted. It is confusing as she has matured well over last yr in dance. The physio did say she has hyper mobile joints so I wonder if this could be the issue? It has never caused her any issues.

I’m sorry to hear that, hope she’s ok. Was it for year 8? If so, I imagine it’s tougher to get a place. 

@Mummy twinkle toes sorry to hear that. My dd tried last year for yr 7 and wasn't successful with funding. It was picked up last year by physio that she was hypermobile (though we were already aware). Shes been working with a sports physio as part of the CAT scheme and they've been a massive help. We now know she' extremely flexible but tight over her hips so she had learned to compensate for this. 

I would get her checked over if she is serious about her dance. I'd had my dd to GP many times over the years who were useless. As soon as she started CAT they had physio assess her and she's had regular sessions since then. Physio even demanded a MRI scan to check her hip thoroughly. 

This is not a new phenomenon; Luke Jennings wrote an article in 2012 about the tiny chance of progressing through White Lodge from year 7 and into RBS Upper School.   What we do need to take into account are those children whose paths changed from classical ballet; either due to injury or stopping dancing. 

As an aside, could I remind everyone that this is a thread about 2018 audition results and more importantly, not to unwittingly identify any children other than your own.  Year groups are small at upper school and by discussing in such detail which British students from particular lower schools are going where in September, it's not a huge leap to identifying them which contravenes AUP.

Many thanks. :)

• Like 10

Tring Final MDS results are out, unfortunately my dd didn’t get a MDS and is on reserve list, when I called to find out number on list was told some in front some below her name. So not holding breath on this one. Only 10 MDS available.

Back to normality for a while before getting back on the audition roller coaster again.

Congratulations to the Yes’s and big love to the No’s keep going!  

• Like 6

Some posts on this thread have been hidden while under review for being thought to contravene the Acceptable Use Policy and/or forum moderation policy, or because they respond to/quote a hidden post.

Balletcoforum Moderators

May I remind people again of our forum rules which state: 

1. that highly critical posts must be signed with your real name, and

2. that "outing" other people's children is not permitted - although nobody has been actually named in this thread, not only is this a completely public forum but also the ballet world is very small, so by naming schools and year groups that individual students have come from (or are now at) it is potentially possible to identify students.  

Finally, this is a topic for good luck posts and now audition results for 2018 and it has gone off at quite a tangent.  If we could get back on topic it would be appreciated. 

Many thanks,

Anna C on behalf of BalletcoForum Moderators

• Like 4

Maybe it should be included in Questions about Lower or Upper School Auditions instead as it is valid information from forum users with first hand knowledge.  If I was about to make a huge decision to send my DC away from home for years of their childhood or adolescence, I would like to have a clear view of the road ahead.

Edited by atacrossroads
Spelling
  • Like 14

13 hours ago, atacrossroads said:

Maybe it should be included in Questions about Lower or Upper School Auditions instead as it is valid information from forum users with first hand knowledge.  If I was about to make a huge decision to send my DC away from home for years of their childhood or adolescence, I would like to have a clear view of the road ahead.

The Moderators are discussing the issue and where the posts that don't contravene AUP might best be placed.  However, as previously stated, this thread is for 2018 auditions and not the place for criticism or in depth discussion about RBS. 

• Like 1

Sorry- please feel free to move my post. I’d like to add my post alludes to issues and it would be great if they were confined to one school. Sadly I believe you see them in more than one UK Ballet school to a greater or lesser extent. 

On 09/03/2018 at 17:21, Balletaddict said:

Hey,

I've recently auditioned at Ballet West and have been offered an unconditional place to start in September! I absolutely loved the place and everything about it, but was hoping to hear a bit more from people who are currently or have trained there as I need to make sure it is the right school for me to go to, as it is such a big decision!

I was wondering if I could find more out about the accommodation, weekly schedule, teaching, how stressful the degree is alongside training, living in Taynuilt, and half terms/holidays you get and how much time you get to visit back home, and anything else that there is to add about ballet west!

Thank you!!! :) 

Hi Balletaddict.  We have various other threads on life at BW: if you type "Ballet West" (including inverted commas) into the Search box at top right and restrict your search to titles only, you should find them.  Possibly you've done that by now, anyway.  Or even, if you find a thread tagged BW you can click on it and bring up any other threads similarly tagged.

2 hours ago, Anna C said:

The Moderators are discussing the issue and where the posts that don't contravene AUP might best be placed.  However, as previously stated, this thread is for 2018 auditions and not the place for criticism or in depth discussion about RBS. 

I'm sure I won't be alone in hoping that the Moderators will consider removing posts extremely carefully, when the point of this forum is to provide parents with information, factual information, not a sensored rose coloured spectacles view of what is let's face it, a harsh industry.  Sending your children to these schools is a massive decision and this forum is one of the few ways that parents can get a realistic view of what they, their DCs and their family are in for. 

I understand that having your forum rules adhered to is vital to protect the identities of those mentioned, however, following the 3 points you addressed earlier:

1. As uncomfortable as these posts are, I would question whether they are in fact just 'critical', rather than "Highly" critical.  We must have critical posts as well as positive posts or we are censoring reality in a way that is surely a disservice to us all, but especially those with DCs embarking upon schooling in one of our top vocational schools.

2.  I don't see that anyone has in any way been 'outed' in these posts (apart from perhaps the AD of WL, who is not a student). There are many UK girls in that year at WL as well as Internatiinal students and naming a school and year group is far from indicating who a specific child might be.

3. This discussion was in every way linked to the 'audition results' part of the title.  This is very much to do with audition results, what they are, how they came to be in what we perceive to be our top training facility and the natural progression of this discussion into where the students are coming from that have displaced U.K. hardworking students, and will go on to fill our UK companies.  

Until this thread started talking about this on Thursday there was next to nothing being posted in Questionas about Upper School Auditions and barely anything in this thread about US audition results.

Other threads on this forum recently, such as the many posts on the Balletdadblog thread, have highlighted just how scared parents are once in the system to actually speak out about what it's like to be in UK vocational schools.  It's not all a bed of roses in any way.  There is so much heartache, injury, mental health and eating disorders, as well as bullying to be considered, alongside all the many wonderful aspects of life that do also exist in these schools.  It would be irresponsible for an unrealistic picture to be painted of reality because we want it to be all about success stories, mansion houses and outstanding pastoral care.

Maybe if we do speak out in an environment where we can, which is pretty much only this forum, something might finally get through to the right channels and in the future, there might be change....

• Like 32

Can I just say that I have found this forum to be invaluable and I love the fact that everybody is so supportive - there's no jealousy,  bitterness or I'm not telling you because my DD is better than your DD.  This ballet world is an absolute unknown to most of us and to hear the good and the bad is just perfect. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, atacrossroads said:

I'm sure I won't be alone in hoping that the Moderators will consider removing posts extremely carefully, when the point of this forum is to provide parents with information, factual information, not a sensored rose coloured spectacles view of what is let's face it, a harsh industry.  Sending your children to these schools is a massive decision and this forum is one of the few ways that parents can get a realistic view of what they, their DCs and their family are in for. 

I understand that having your forum rules adhered to is vital to protect the identities of those mentioned, however, following the 3 points you addressed earlier:

1. As uncomfortable as these posts are, I would question whether they are in fact just 'critical', rather than "Highly" critical.  We must have critical posts as well as positive posts or we are censoring reality in a way that is surely a disservice to us all, but especially those with DCs embarking upon schooling in one of our top vocational schools.

2.  I don't see that anyone has in any way been 'outed' in these posts (apart from perhaps the AD of WL, who is not a student). There are many UK girls in that year at WL as well as Internatiinal students and naming a school and year group is far from indicating who a specific child might be.

3. This discussion was in every way linked to the 'audition results' part of the title.  This is very much to do with audition results, what they are, how they came to be in what we perceive to be our top training facility and the natural progression of this discussion into where the students are coming from that have displaced U.K. hardworking students, and will go on to fill our UK companies.  

Until this thread started talking about this on Thursday there was next to nothing being posted in Questionas about Upper School Auditions and barely anything in this thread about US audition results.

Other threads on this forum recently, such as the many posts on the Balletdadblog thread, have highlighted just how scared parents are once in the system to actually speak out about what it's like to be in UK vocational schools.  It's not all a bed of roses in any way.  There is so much heartache, injury, mental health and eating disorders, as well as bullying to be considered, alongside all the many wonderful aspects of life that do also exist in these schools.  It would be irresponsible for an unrealistic picture to be painted of reality because we want it to be all about success stories, mansion houses and outstanding pastoral care.

Maybe if we do speak out in an environment where we can, which is pretty much only this forum, something might finally get through to the right channels and in the future, there might be change....

Firstly, please do bear in mind that all the Moderators are volunteers with lives of our own, so we are not all on duty at the same time.  Hence sometimes it may seem as if it's taking time for us to take action, and as I said, please bear with us.  

I agree that these discussions are important and shortly I will create a separate thread and move the relevant posts there so that discussion can continue.  If any posts remain hidden, it is for good reason and they will remain hidden until we have discussed them fully.  Whether or not forum members think certain posts potentially identify individual students is immaterial; we have rules to which you all agree when you join, one of which states that "outing" anyone else's child is not permitted.  Moderators enforce these rules to the best of our ability and without rules there would be no forum. 

Finally, this thread was started for good wishes and results of 2018 auditions.  It is not the place for general discussions about RBS or any particular school, nor about British training in general.  

Neither I nor any other Moderator should have to ask repeatedly that a thread stay on topic, nor should we have to explain how or why we reach our decisions.  I will start a new thread shortly and move the relevant posts in there, but please keep the discussion within forum rules.

• Like 6

• Anna C locked this topic

Here is a link to the new thread - I appreciate the suggestions to move the posts into either the Upper School or Lower School Q&A threads but the discussion was pertinent to both:  

Please now let this thread return to "Good luck" wishes and audition results specific to this year's auditions.  Many thanks.

• Like 3

• Anna C unlocked this topic
2 hours ago, atacrossroads said:

Anna makes no mention of removing posts in what you quote.  One of the most tedious tasks of being a Moderator is housekeeping - moving posts around precisely so that they can be found in appropriate threads by others who may have similar questions - and this is probably more applicable to Doing Dance than any of the other forums.  After all, who is going to look for this information in a thread which appears to be about good luck wishes and audition results?

• Like 9