Jump to content
rudolph23

RBS Summer School

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Sarahitaly said:

Thank you for the reply, my dd is 3rd week. Can l ask you a couple of questions? How many leotards did you pack?, and what do they do about snacks, do they need extra money ? Any info you can give me much appreciated x

 

We are packing a fresh leotard for every day so 5, one black they usually wear plain black for the parent viewing classes on the last day.  My dd likes nice cotton fabric and a camisole style, as it can get hot in England at this time of year especially in the south of England. We are in the north, so it’s a few degrees cooler, it can feel warm from my dd although it might not if you are used to the warmer climates of Italy !!😄  My dd has asked for a skirt too, not something she usually wears, but they are popular at summer schools she must believe.  Warm up boots as they move from class to class or a pair of easily slip on shoes.  They can take pocket money which is handed in in cash on the first day, my dd took £10. Food is lovely and they had a barbecue last time my dd went and she had lots of lovely snacks too. She also took a refillable water bottle for refilling at water fountains in between class.  It’s a wonderful experience, White Lodge is stunning and the grounds are beautiful.  Any more questions please feel free to DM me X

Edited by Snowflake
Spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the info, l am sure l will back soon with more questions lol !!! I take it they wear tights under leotard?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes tights. Unless your dd is one of the youngest (year5/6) then I think that they can wear tights or socks, but you’ll receive a handbook with lists of what she’ll need a little closer to the time xx 

 

Like snowflake my dd took a leotard for each day, with either a belt or skirt to wear with it. She’ll probably need a character skirt and character shoes (although if she doesn’t have the shoes they do say not to buy them, but in reality all the girls on my dd course had them) 

 

Snacks - she won’t need - they’re very well fed, in fact they encourage you not to take them. 

 

A named water bottle is a definite, and my hint is a portable mirror. My dd was fine at her last RBS summer school as she was in a twin room, but this time at the spring course she was in a larger dorm of approx 15 girls and there was only 1 mirror! (imagine the ocd of Ballet girls trying to get their buns right in limited time in the morning 😆) 

 

She’ll have an amazing time, they do activities in the evening so perhaps an outfit for a disco, but generally it’s quite casual clothing of an evening and they like them to wear sensible flat shoes in the evening (probably to prevent any injuries) xx 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Balletmum55 said:

 

 

Thanks so much for the info, feeling a bit more in the clear now, great to know all this information x

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Tiaramum see you there, l am going to get on ebay for some character shoes as we don't use them here but l know she will want to be like everyone else. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, we accepted our DS’ place straight after receiving the email offering him a place (WL week week 1and 2), but haven’t heard anything since? Does anyone know when the invoice and further information are being sent out? And do all their ballet and other clothing need to be labelled (hope not, as this is not required at his current vocational school in Berlin) with their name? Any info very welcome. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just wondered if anyone had heard anything from RBS since accepting their place?  My dd is attending week 3 but we haven't received an invoice yet and the initial email offering her a place stated that full payment needed to be made by 25th May.  Worried I have possibly missed an email or something but don't want to chase up if it's normal for the invoices to be sent so late?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dd is attending weeks 3 and 4 and we have not received invoice yet either.  I was told they would come last thursday/friday but still nothing!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I ... we haven’t got ours either and I think everything is late as WL normal invoices for bills for full time students  etc haven’t come out and they normally arrive at the start of term . 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to let RBS know today that my dd can’t attend the week 4 summer school anymore as my husband has unwittingly booked us a surprise holiday FOR THE SAME WEEK 😫 !!! It only came to light when I gave him the bill to pay 😳

Luckily for my dd, she already did the spring intensive this year so she took it pretty well xxx hopefully a lovely year 7 dd who applied for week 4 will get a happy email soon, hope it’s someone on the forum xxxx 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Balletmum55 said:

I had to let RBS know today that my dd can’t attend the week 4 summer school anymore as my husband has unwittingly booked us a surprise holiday FOR THE SAME WEEK 😫 !!! It only came to light when I gave him the bill to pay 😳

Luckily for my dd, she already did the spring intensive this year so she took it pretty well xxx hopefully a lovely year 7 dd who applied for week 4 will get a happy email soon, hope it’s someone on the forum xxxx 

 

Oh no!  Bet he's popular.

 

I can just imagine what either of my two would have said to that.  (Ds's equivalent is the MT workshop including private lesson with Kerry Ellis he's booked onto this year.)  I honestly think they would have refused to come.  Ds has already said he doesn't want to come on holiday this year becasue of  various workshops/summer schools!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ha ha pictures! Popular yes, that’s a word 😂 🙈

Ahh bless him, glad he’s enjoying it so much, he really seems to have found his passion x 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have recently received the information pack for RB summer school and it states that all girls must be able to do their own hair during the course. My dd is only 9 and nowhere near capable of producing a bun to RBS standards.  Is it really the case that the younger ones are expected to do their own hair or are there actually boarding staff there that are willing to help in the mornings? 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The girls will all help each other I’m sure - DD said that at the summer schools she attended everyone was willing to help. It’s easier to help someone else rather than doing your own bun I think. Older students may also be willing to lend a hand and so may housemothers but obviously if your DD can practise doing the best she can with her own hair - and her friends’ hair - she will feel more confident. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please don’t worry about your dd not being able to do her own hair. By the end of the week I’m sure she will have got quite proficient at it!

They really don’t have to have ‘the perfect bun’ for class. As others have said the older ones help and advise but I’m sure your dd will want to do her own and be like the big girls! I know my then little dd aged just 10 wanted to do everything herself!! 

She’ll have s fabulous time! Xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upper school place week 1 and 2

 

AW have had to turn down our place to the Covent Garden Upper Summer School (week 1 and 2 ).  In the end we simply couldn't finance it.  Somebody on the waiting list might get a nice surprise soon :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

So just going in to panic mode now it has hit July ;)

 

Can l ask do they need 2 leotards a day with sweating or is it not that bad, she is only 10?

Is there anything else l need to bring that they don't mention, l already have her a mirror to do her hair.

Thanks in advance x

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One leotard a day at that age is plenty I would say at age 10. May be 2 for  last day. One for practice and then one for showing of work.

How exciting, I remember my dd doing WL SS! She absolutely loved it. What an experience for all our little dancers. 

Have a fab time everyone 🌺💐🍀

Edited by Dancing unicorn
Spelling
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My DS went last week and I didn't hear from him at all!!!!  He obviously felt that being 11 he didn't need to bother to check in with home anymore!!!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, coniger said:

My DS went last week and I didn't hear from him at all!!!!  He obviously felt that being 11 he didn't need to bother to check in with home anymore!!!

They are all so lucky, what a wonderful week it must be. Can't wait to hear all the stories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2018 at 21:54, Snowflake said:

We are packing a fresh leotard for every day so 5, one black they usually wear plain black for the parent viewing classes on the last day.  My dd likes nice cotton fabric and a camisole style, as it can get hot in England at this time of year especially in the south of England. We are in the north, so it’s a few degrees cooler, it can feel warm from my dd although it might not if you are used to the warmer climates of Italy !!😄  My dd has asked for a skirt too, not something she usually wears, but they are popular at summer schools she must believe.  Warm up boots as they move from class to class or a pair of easily slip on shoes.  They can take pocket money which is handed in in cash on the first day, my dd took £10. Food is lovely and they had a barbecue last time my dd went and she had lots of lovely snacks too. She also took a refillable water bottle for refilling at water fountains in between class.  It’s a wonderful experience, White Lodge is stunning and the grounds are beautiful.  Any more questions please feel free to DM me X

 

Hi

 

Just thinking now, when we drop her off, how do we get back to the station, is it a 55 minute walk? Do we have to call a taxi ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Sarahitaly said:

 

Hi

 

Just thinking now, when we drop her off, how do we get back to the station, is it a 55 minute walk? Do we have to call a taxi ?

Hi Sarahitaly

 

Its quite a long walk - especially it you have luggage - I would google a local taxi firm and call a taxi to pick you up.

 

Although Richmond Park is a beautiful place for a walk if you enjoy walking 💕 I walked once to Mortlake station it didn’t take long about 25 minutes and it was lovely - I think Richmond station maybe further.

 

Is your dd excited?

Edited by Snowflake
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those that have attended RB summer school before can you tell me if they have classes on the first day? I am unsure if I should arrive with dd in her ballet kit tomorrow or normal clothes? She is getting very excited now although I am a nervous wreck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...