Independent Companies/Charities that offer dance funding support.

BalletBloch

If you go to your local library they will have a copy of a reference book of charities and grant-making trusts. But they all have strict guidelines and you will probably find that there are only a few worth applying to. The most likely to support you will be those local to you. I did have a little success when i tried some years ago although for various reasons we decided not to send dd to vocatinal school at 11 so did not take up the offers. Apart from one trust none would commit to anything other than a one-off payment (usually less than £500). It might also be worth contacting your local Rotary/Round Table, asking any businesses you have connections with including your workplace and if you have a connection to something like the armed forces this will open up a whole range of trusts you can approach. Good Luck it is a very time-consuming process and I would urge caution if you would not be able to meet the costs in subsequent years without financial help. Also bear in mind that you need to start this process in plenty of time as most trusts only have meetings where these sort of things can be approved every few months.

• Like 3

I would like to wish you lots of luck in getting help with your funding. We are a military family and unless you or your husband is in the military then unfortunately there is no help from that area at all. One charity worth looking at which has just come to my mind is one set up by the parents of a little girl who was part of the Billy cast who sadly was in a road accident just over a year ago. I am sure that they donate to causes like yours. I am sorry I cant remember the name of the charity but others on this site might remember it.

It is the Charlotte Leatherbarrow foundation. This young girl attended one of the dance schools in our area and was, tragically, run down by a bus whilst she was on her way to a dance class. She was only 12 years old. Her death caused a huge shock to the whole community. Further details of the foundation appear on the South London Dance Studios' website.

Edited by aileen

Poor child! A girl I knew in Cambridge was knocked down and severely injured. The driver tried to argue that she was in such a hurry to get to class (it was her first pointe lesson) that she had not looked before she ran across the road. Skid marks proved that he was lying and fortunately the girl made a full recovery and is now a dancer in shows and musicals.

• 11 months later...

I would like to wish you lots of luck in getting help with your funding. We are a military family and unless you or your husband is in the military then unfortunately there is no help from that area at all. One charity worth looking at which has just come to my mind is one set up by the parents of a little girl who was part of the Billy cast who sadly was in a road accident just over a year ago. I am sure that they donate to causes like yours. I am sorry I cant remember the name of the charity but others on this site might remember it.

Hi Primrose did you have any luck from the Army for funding vocational school?

But does anyone know about funds or charities for children under 16?

We were given a list by the vocational school that offered dd a place earlier this year, but the organisations on it either only make very small contributions (and I mean small!) or have considerable restrictions on eligibility, none of which applied to us.

We searched everywhere we could think of for funding help, including writing to our MP, and got nowhere.

I think the situation is probably the same for everyone - unless you are loaded or have a generous family member or benefactor, it doesn't look good I'm afraid, sorry!!! :(

I think under 16 is very difficult. Unless awarded by the school itself. I did start to look into this (just for info sake) a couple of months ago but didn't get that far I'm afraid.

It may be down to private individuals or sponsors sometimes but this is still more likely for 16 plus......and not sure how you find out about these individuals anyway. I know foreign students do have these private sponsors but how THEY find out about them am not sure

There used to be some sort of bursary from the Paul Clarke trust for dance for a long time but don't know if this is still going.(I know about this one because we went to same ballet class for a while and then he won a scholarship to the Royal...he died young ) I can't seem to find evidence of this bursary at mo.

Full funding for students seems pretty rare it seems. Good luck with it all anyway.

Hello Everyone!

Does anyone know of any companies/charities/organisations/societies that may be able to offer support with funding my DD to go to ballet school? Even if it was a small donation.

Thanks for your help if you can

xx

Morning balletbloch

As I have just posted to Katymac this website it worth trying...

www.turn2us.org.uk

Good luck ;)

Cx

Just found out that the Paul Clarke memorial fund definitely doesn't fund anymore....existed 1978-2002 so there will be no joy there but pleased to see that Christopher Tudor who taught last week at the YBSS was a beneficiary of it!

If you happen to live in the Brighton & Hove region, the Pebbles Trust sponsor talented children living in the area. It is not just for dancers, singers & musicians, but also for children training & competing at a high level in sporting activities too. My dd has been awarded money on several occasions now, which she has used to fund summer schools. You have to apply using their official application form from their website. They consider applications twice per year. They also have a Facebook page.

• Like 1

If you have a relative who is, or was, a Mason and part of a masonic lodge, you can apply for help from their organisation.  I have a friend who applied and, after a very rigorous and long interview, was and is awarded regular amounts for dance classes, travel expenses etc.  They fund throughout the student years of the dancer and I think that's up to 18 and they regularly keep in touch to offer help with smaller expenses where needed.  Just google "masons talent aid" and you should be able to access their website (I can't access it at the moment as it seems to be down).

• Like 1

You have to be the child or Grandchild of a *subscribing* Freemason, so sadly it isn't a case of "if you have a friend or relative who is or was a Mason":

"TalentAid can help the children, step-children and grandchildren of subscribing Freemasons under the English Constitution"

It's a wonderful scheme if you are eligible: http://www.rmtgb.org/images/PDFs/whatistalentaid.pdf

We applied to the Mason's as Grandad is a member but we didn't fit the criteria. We earnt to much.  Which was always the case when we applied for extra funding not that we earn alot.  Another girl at DS school did apply to them and was granted funding towards her fees at 6th form.  Though we believe there were some conditions attached to the funding.  Not sure they kept in touch with her though.