Presentation to Marianela Nunez on 1st February

COVENT GARDEN NOW REGULARLY STREAM EVENTS AT THE ROH, EITHER LIVE BROADCASTS TO THE CINEMA OR FROM THE CLORE ON THEIR INSIGHT PROGRAMS OR FROM CLASS IN THE STUDIOS.  HOW MANY OF YOU WOULD LIKE TO WATCH THE FLOWER THROW AND PRESENTATION TO MARIANELA IN RECOGNITION OF HER 20 YEARS SERVICE. TICKETS ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO GET SO IT WOULD NOT SPOIL THE EVENT BY SHOWING IT. THOSE WHO LIKE THE IDEA PLEASE CONTACT THE ROH AND ASK THEM. WE MAY GET LUCKY.

• Like 5

On the basis that they quite often film insight events from the Clore and stream live on their You Tube site at no cost to us then I assume it is not that expensive for them to do it. I am only talking about the curtain call, flower throw and speeches/presentations which, in this day and age, will be one person using hand held camera attached to the internet.

• Like 2

I wonder if this is the sort of occasion where the BBC ought to broadcast the performance.  Very occasionally the BBC has done this but many years ago.  I guess many people would have hoped that Tony Hall might have established a much stronger link between the BBC and the ROH - we see the ROH and BBC are partners but I'd love to see more results including live broadcasts.

• Like 11

• alison changed the title to Presentation to Marianela Nunez on 1st February
6 hours ago, JohnS said:

I guess many people would have hoped that Tony Hall might have established a much stronger link between the BBC and the ROH - we see the ROH and BBC are partners but I'd love to see more results including live broadcasts.

My thoughts exactly. 

17 hours ago, JohnS said:

I wonder if this is the sort of occasion where the BBC ought to broadcast the performance.  Very occasionally the BBC has done this but many years ago.  I guess many people would have hoped that Tony Hall might have established a much stronger link between the BBC and the ROH - we see the ROH and BBC are partners but I'd love to see more results including live broadcasts.

If so could this embrace other companies, not just the Royal Ballet.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It was extremely touching indeed.  Feeling very privileged to have been there and may have shed a tear or two at the lovely tribute from Kevin O'Hare.  Wonderful to see Sir Peter Wright, Monica Mason and others join the company on stage as well.  

A marvellous performance of Giselle by Marianela and Vadim, though my teeth were set slightly on edge by the incessant coughing in Act II...

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Booklover89 said:

A marvellous performance of Giselle by Marianela and Vadim, though my teeth were set slightly on edge by the incessant coughing in Act II...

Totally agree. I’ve got bronchitis and tonight is the first time I’ve been out in days - I wasn’t about to miss that. Lined up my unwrapped cough lozenges before each act. Didn’t cough once, except during applause. Quite irritated that others didn’t plan better.

• Like 3

A very special night, encompassing one of the best performances of Giselle I have ever had the privilege to see, and a lovely tribute to a very special artist.  Very special all round....the company were on top form.   Matthew Ball and Yasmine Naghdi were luminous in the pas de six....an enticing taste of what's to come on February 10th.  Another chilling performance from Tierney Heap as Myrthe.  The corps were simply beautiful.  Deep sigh.  

• Like 11

Still feeling the emotion this morning. A glorious Giselle from Marianela and a simply heartbreaking Albrecht from Vadim atop a very special all round performance from the Company.

The 'tribute' at the end was beautifully judged and orchestrated. After all the usual calls and the bringing on of flowers and then the red runs with a flower shower, the curtain once again revealed everyone on stage with Marianela in the middle. Vadim then came on and presented his flowers to Marianela (big hugs) followed by Kevin with his bouquet. Sir Peter Wright with Alex Beard, and Dame Monica Mason with Lady Sarah Chatto. Kevin O'Hare made a lovely speech before Marianela took more calls and more flowers rained down from above.

Very special indeed. Feeling so privileged to have been there. THANK YOU MARIANELA FOR ALL THE JOY YOU HAVE BROUGHT US OVER THESE 20 YEARS.

More about performances after I have seen more casts.

• Like 12

Oh, what I would have given to have been there... unfortunately, live in distant country far away. But I'm so grateful for those of you who were able to be there tonight, and who have written here to tell us how it went. How much joy one person can radiate on to the world!

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Don't know why I can't post pictures on this forum, but I have posted a few pictures from last night here

I've hit that problem BBB in that there is a limit to the number/size of "attachments" you can post overall.  With PRs I can no longer include photographs unless they are embedded in the release.

Yesterday sounds like a lovely "one of those evenings" event. And she so deserves it. We all have probably our particular special performances with her ...for me it's a lovely memory of her dancing Fille with Acosta .....that was one of the best Filles I've seen and still is. Congratulations to Marianela for being still at the top of her game after twenty years.....no mean achievement!!

• Like 9

Gosh, yes, Lin - the Nuñez/Acosta "Fille" really was something extra special, wasn't it.  Like two best friends revelling in the pure joy of sharing the stage.  I saw them in those roles together a few times and it really felt like such a huge privilege to be there. 

• Like 3

Does anyone know what the Argentinian Ambassador presented to her? He also made a lovely speech praising her as Argentina's best ambassador to the UK, holding a tray which I thought be an Argentinian honour, but in the end he handed it to her without elaboration saying she already had enough flowers. So was it a plaque or tray or what?

A special occasion last night and delighted to have got a returned ticket a few days ago.  It was unquestionably Marianela’s evening and the flowers and tributes were wonderful.  There was a camera at curtain call and on stage during the celebrations so hopefully some footage will be made available at some point (I trust significantly more than the short video in John Mallinson's link above).  Meantime bangorballetboy’s photos are fabulous as always - many thanks to him.

Vadim was sensational - aristocratic at the start of Act 1 and in many ways he and Olivia Cowley’s haughty Bathilde would make an acceptable match.  But Vadim’s love for Giselle became manifest in his early scenes with Giselle and the tragedy of his realisation of what he had done at the end of Act 1 was heartfelt.  His dancing in Act 2 was mesmerising and there were a number of gasps of astonished admiration in the Stalls Circle.  The final moments with Vadim so slowly and tenderly picking up Giselle’s parting flower and walking towards the audience were utterly sublime and the music was almost allowed to dissolve with the curtain drop before the thunderous applause.  And as others have mentioned he was the perfect partner in supporting Marianela during the curtain call and celebrations.

There were many other performances which made me marvel, adding to the sense of occasion.  I’ve mentioned Olivia Cowley’s Bathilde, a cameo gem.  The Pas de Six were fabulous - when the six were all dancing together my eyes were drawn to the immaculate footwork of Elizabeth Harrod, exceptionally fast and neat.  I also loved Anna Rose O’Sullivan’s Moyna - exquisite, a joy to watch, and I’m sure a fabulous future Giselle.  Bennet Gartside’s Hilarion was as always wonderfully honest.

So thank you Marianela and all at the Royal Ballet, from Kevin O’Hare to the many flower throwers, for making such a tremendous occasion.

• Like 15

Spot on JohnS, great review. Vadim was sensational and he shut the coughers up at the end, total silence. First time I have seen the lead man leave the stage to get his own flowers for his partner, very touching. The quality of the dancing was wonderful, the corps especially. Like you, got a late ticket. Frankie next Friday and Yasmine on Saturday, my cup overflows.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, SPD444 said:

Frankie next Friday and Yasmine on Saturday, my cup overflows.

Agreed SPD444!  What a weekend we have in prospect.  I don't suppose any one managed to attend today's schools matinee - but perhaps these thoughts should move to the main Giselle thread?

• Like 1