North east pointe shoe fitter

Boogalou

Hello Boogalou,

You may be interested to know that the North East Dance Co-operative are planning to co-host a one-day Pointe Shoe Fitting Course in Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 2018 (likely in the Spring).

This course will be suitable for dance teachers/practitioners/facilitators, teaching assistants, trainee teachers, professional dancers and dance students who have started or are about to start pointe work. 

For student dancers, our ambition is to empower them to be able to have greater autonomy over the pointe shoe fitting process and provide them with the vocabulary to better communicate their requirements to their teachers/professional fitters. 

For teachers our aim was to host CPD that could inform their work in a direct and relevant way, and provide training that many only haven’t attended thus far due to geographical proximity.

You can read more about the course via our Facebook page: www.facebook.com/NorthEastDanceCooperative

If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Kindest,

Angeline

Founder, NEDC

2 hours ago, Boogalou said:

Can anyone recommend a pointe shoe fitter please, we live near Darlington. Many thanks

Have no idea where Leanne is actually based but she trades under the name of Straighttothepointe, via Instagram.  She does visit schools and shops around and about incl Elmhurst. She also posts many videos on YouTube about Darning and pointe shoe fittings in general. 

Due to our geographical location buying Pointe shoes is a nightmare. 

I enquired last week with Leanne as I’ve followed her for quite sometime. 

Her service was second to none. Specific photos of feet and measurements sent via email. General discussion of Grishko shoes. Grade and standard of ballet etc. 

Two pairs of Pointes arrived in the post today. New models. Perfect fit. Ribbons , elastic sewn on ready to go. Incl the Darning 

One happy daughter. 

Would recommend her services to anyone.  🙆‍♀️

• Like 1

There is a shop in the centre of Sunderland but last time I went they only fit Grishko, which don't suit my feet. I think there used to be one in Middlesborough but I can't remember the name, sorry. Also, Born to Dance on Northgate in Darlington used to fit pointe shoes; I don't know if they still do but worth giving them a ring. 

I had a bad experience at Planet Dance in Leeds where I ended up with soft blocks half a size too small. I expect it was just a one off, though. 

I have to say, I bulk-buy mine in at the Freed shop in London when visiting to watch ballet, but this may not be practical for you on a number of levels (I'm an adult so my feet aren't growing).

You could try Encore in Northallerton; they have a shop but no idea if they fit pointe shoes.

Edited by RHowarth

@RHowarth the Sunderland shop closed suddenly late last year. 

There's a dance shop in Newcastle Kickz. They are very good and seen to be incredibly thorough. Not sure if the name of the shop in hartlepool but  friends recommend it though I haven't been in myself.

Edited by Sarah2203