Northern Ballet (Leeds) Associates and others

tutusatDawn

Good morning.

I have been lurking and reading, trying to find to some information about Northern Ballet Associates, Renaissance Arts Scholars and York Dance Scholars. I've found some on the internet, but not the answers to my questions, and I hope you can help. I would welcome all comments and advice and or suggestions for other places to consider. Thank you.

DD is 12, and keen to do some extra ballet. we live along the A1M corridor, and Leeds is easy to get to.

Northern Ballet - Does everyone who applies get an audition? How many re in each class, and what is the drop out or assessed out percentage each year. DD knows a friend of a friend who attends Northern Ballet, and she has told DD that you HAVE to go to the summer school, and you can't miss any classes for any reason. it would not be possible for DD to attend the summer school due to previous commitments, plus it is a daily summer school, and both DH & I work, and would not be able to get her there and back.

Renaissance Arts - How many in each class, and again what is the drop out or assessed out percentage each year. do they offer a summer school?

York Dance Scholars - I can't find anything about it now it has changed; times of classes, teachers, or anything! again though, do you HAVE to attend their summer school?

Thank you in advance. This is all new to me.

Hi, can't help on all your questions but as regards Northern Ballet I believe everyone who applies gets an audition. Also compulsory attendance at the summer school is for the CAT students not the associates. If you have any more questions about Northern just give them a call, they're very helpful x x

• Like 4

Northern associates do not have to attend the summer school. The CAT students do, but I'm sure an exception would be made in their first year if they had prior commitments. There are approx 30 in a class. They are strict on attendance and I expect you would be in danger of being 'assessed out' if your attendance fell below about 90%. Every applicant gets an audition. At 12 I think your daughter would be intermediate, which is 9-1.30 on a Saturday - ballet, pointe and contemporary. 

Rennaisance do not have a summer school. They are a bit more flexible regarding absences. Classes on alternate Sundays in ballet and jazz with an optional singing add-on. Everyone gets an audition - and it's free!

My dd has done Northern Associates, CAT programme, and Rennaisance - happy to answer any questions! 

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 2

Thank you for asking tutusatDawn! I have also been lurking on here looking for info about Northern Ballet Associates. My DD is going to an open day next Sunday. Two of her dance teachers have recently recommended York Scholars too, so I assume they are still going even though the audition dates for 2018 aren't on the website yet. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Hello tutusatDawn and welcome to the Forum!

Are you referring to the Academy of Northern Ballet based in Leeds or Northern Ballet School based in Manchester?

Thank you. 

Northern Ballet in Leeds.

Street Dancer, my DD would have loved to do the open day, but we have a family commitment that I couldn't change. ( we seem to miss alot of things due to DDs dancing! )

Does anyone know? Do the photos for Northern need to be 'proper printed photos' or can they just be on normal paper? Thanks.

• Like 1

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Northern Ballet (Leeds) Associates and others
2 hours ago, tutusatDawn said:

Thank you. 

Street Dancer, my DD would have loved to do the open day, but we have a family commitment that I couldn't change. ( we seem to miss alot of things due to DDs dancing! )

Does anyone know? Do the photos for Northern need to be 'proper printed photos' or can they just be on normal paper? Thanks.

I don't think there's a rule on photo quality, but I suspect the vast majority they get would be proper printed photos. You want to show the applicant off as best you can - every little helps! 

• Like 1

Hi. My daughter is both an Intermediate Associate at NB and a scholar. Northern Ballet - everyone gets an audition, it's very friendly and non-intimidating. They don't have to attend summer school unless they're CAT (she's never tried due to the commute and how much she loves her current teachers but it seems to be a wonderful scheme) but she has been on two and an Easter school and they were worth doing if at all possible. Scholars changed this year to include Jazz/Commercial and has a roster of teachers including ex Northern Ballet teachers and some really inspiring Jazz teachers. Auditions were different this year because of the changes but details should be online soon I believe. Times depend on age - my daughter misses the first class due to Northern and is there until 4.45 and they have been fine about her missing the first class. They are both pretty strict about attendance and it does count towards getting places the next year. 

Photo wise, we did send proper photos in but any worries just email them and ask - I can't stress how helpful they are. If this helps at all my daughter really loves both and even though Saturdays are a very long day she wouldn't drop either willingly. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, tutusatDawn said:

Drop them a line and ask, I’m in sane process down South and seems they are happy with photos printed on normal paper :-)

Poodle

• 2 months later...
On 14/01/2018 at 15:54, tutusatDawn said:

Thank you. 

Tutusatdawn did your DD go for the Northern Associates audition in the end? DD had a really positive experience last Sunday and she's just been offered a final audition. Super excited as this is all so new to us! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Streetdancer said:

Tutusatdawn did your DD go for the Northern Associates audition in the end? DD had a really positive experience last Sunday and she's just been offered a final audition. Super excited as this is all so new to us! 

Hi,

yes she did, and we too have a final audition on the 25th!  She really enjoyed the class, and is looking forward to doing some contemporary too.

she is also auditioning for York Dance scholars and Renaissance Arts!

xx

ps ... i rang and 'normal printer paper' photos were fine, so that's what I sent.  initially I printed in 'best', but they looked blurry, so I went with normal print as well!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tutusatDawn said:

Hi,

yes she did, and we too have a final audition on the 25th!  She really enjoyed the class, and is looking forward to doing some contemporary too.

she is also auditioning for York Dance scholars and Renaissance Arts!

xx

ps ... i rang and 'normal printer paper' photos were fine, so that's what I sent.  initially I printed in 'best', but they looked blurry, so I went with normal print as well!

Great news! Does it involve contemporary or it that just the 2 scholars schemes? DD was going to audition for York Scholars but has decided against for now. 

15 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

Great news! Does it involve contemporary or it that just the 2 scholars schemes? DD was going to audition for York Scholars but has decided against for now. 

The Northern recall includes contemporary, I think York Scholars audition does too. Renaissance audition is Ballet & Jazz as far as I know.

DD is auditioning for the lot, and we'll see how she gets on, then we'll see what is the best  for her. I think the ones with additional classes to just ballet/contemporary will be best, as she isn't wanting to go down the classical ballet route particularly.

Does anyone know, if your child auditions and gets offered a place, and then you decide not to take it, then if your child decides to audition the following year, are the schemes going to remember that your child has auditioned in the past, and turned a place down? I know I'm probably jumping the gun a bit, but I'm thinking you won't actually know what suits your child, and also, as they grow, they want to do different things? 

There are times I wish DD was into something simple she could do at home!

Edited by tutusatDawn

Well, just had a 'thank you for auditioning and sadly can't offer you a place' email for Northern. :(

DD will be disappointed, and I am disappointed for her, but she did say that the contemporary section was very hard. so I hope she'll be ok when I tell her.  

Personally, I don't ( and didn't ) think it was right for her, and also, am pleased we won't be driving to Leeds every Saturday !

• Like 1

Tutusatdawn, hope your DD is ok, my DD also received a no and is very upset although she’s trying to put a brave face on. She got reserve list last year so seems to be going in the wrong direction. Makes me wonder if it’s worth all the heartache!

• Like 1

Hi Pixiewoo, my DD is also with Renaissance Arts and loves it. I just wish their assessment day was a bit sooner so we knew if she definitely had a second year! She hasn’t missed any sessions and seems to be progressing well so hopefully all will be well! Glad your DD is ok.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sparkly said:

Hi Pixiewoo, my DD is also with Renaissance Arts and loves it. I just wish their assessment day was a bit sooner so we knew if she definitely had a second year! She hasn’t missed any sessions and seems to be progressing well so hopefully all will be well! Glad your DD is ok.

Thanks. DD does love Renaissance and I like that they are OK with missing classes for things! We've had dance shows and exams clash! 

Me too regarding assessment  . . Assessment day on last class of the year is a bit much! I am sure I read that if they were unsure if you should stay, they'd ask you to re-audition but RA auditions are in June I think!? I'm looking forward to open day. Maybe we'll find out more then!

Edited by Pixiewoo
Added a bit!
  • Like 1

Thanks.  DD was fine. I think she's had a private cry, but doesn't want to admit it. She said she didn't think she'd get in.

Teacher is going to chase feedback and see what happened! 

A bit of me wonders if I can carry on with this game  . ( and we've not really begun ) and we've not even started looking at or even thinking about post 16 or 18 training! 😣

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tutusatDawn said:

A bit of me wonders if I can carry on with this game  . ( and we've not really begun ) and we've not even started looking at or even thinking about post 16 or 18 training! 😣

It can be very hard at times. I have frequently found myself wondering the same thing. In the end I have let my dd set the pace - as long as she has been willing to keep going I have tried to support her.  Quite sure in my own mind that dc are often more resilient than parents.

• 3 months later...

Just poking this thread awake to say that DD has been offered a place at Northern (Leeds) from the reserve list. So it can happen! She's delighted and I'm so proud of her - until a little over a year ago she had only ever taken 1 ballet class a week.

I'm slightly worried that as one of the 'last in' she'll be one of the less strong dancers in the class but I don't expect that will put her off. 

• Like 6