Rudolf Nureyev's Grave Visit

On Friday 5 January 2018 I finally took a trip I have been meaning to make for ages.  I went to see the grave of Rudolf Nureyev in the Russian Cemetery outside Paris.  It took me about an hour to get there from Paris.  You take the RER C line to Sainte Genevieve-des-Bois then you pick up a local bus - the 3 towards Croix Blanche will get you to Piscine stop and from there it is a minutes walk to the cemetery.  You can use single tickets for Paris on the local buses.  It cost me about EUR15 to do the trip.  Whilst at the cemetery on the way to Nureyev's grave I also saw that of Serge Lifar, Ballet Russes Principal.  The Russian Chapel at the cemetery is only open at weekends and visitors will be relieved to know there are toilet facilities there too.  Going back to the station I got a number 1 bus from over the crossroad near the bus 3 return stop and the return buses are headed for Gare RER. 

DTANfbcW4AAG5CY.jpg

The tomb of Nureyev, I should say that the colours are far more vibrant in real life it's just my photo that is little dull.

DTANfbwW0AA56uK.jpg

Flowers and pointe shoes left in tribute to Nureyev.

DSysdhcX0AE0Y-y.jpg

Little did I know it was actually 25 years since his death the very next day on 6/1/2018.

DSysdheX0AAGpTT.jpg

Fringe detail of the carpet mosaic.

DSyuhwtW4AA56mz.jpg

Serge Lifar's grave.

Had it not been so bitingly cold I would have stayed a little longer to see other famous graves but it was too chilly to hang around!  I would definitely recommend a visit though as the cemetery is lovely, and Nureyev's grave is a work of art - he collected carpets hence the mosaic carpet tombstone.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 30

Thank you for this account and the photos. It is a visit I have been meaning to do and your post has urged me on. Another evocative place for balletomanes to visit is the grave of Diaghilev on the island of San Michele, Venice. Stravinsky's grave is nearby.

• Like 4

Thanks for posting. I would love to see it too.

If in Paris, you can visit Nijinsky's grave in the Montmartre cemetery which also has the graves of Adolph Adam and Leo Delibes. It is comparatively easy to get to and quite lovely. It is overrun with cats, like San Michele in Venice.

Edited by stucha
Add info
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Another evocative place for balletomanes to visit is the grave of Diaghilev on the island of San Michele, Venice. Stravinsky's grave is nearby.

The grave of the Nobel Laureate poet Josef Brodsky is also there.

49 minutes ago, stucha said:

If in Paris, you can visit Nijinsky's grave in the Montmartre cemetery.

Marie Duplessis is also there. However, it was not the first resting place for Nijinsky. When he died in London, the funeral service was at St. James' Catholic Church in George Street and he was buried at St. Marylebone Cemetery at East End Road (now it is East Finchley Cemetery). Three years later Lifar arranged his reburial at Montmartre cemetery, close to Antoine Vestris.

Edited by Amelia
spelling
  • Like 6

When I visited his grave in 2001 I was driven to the Russian cemetery by a diplomat friend and we got lost.  Realizing he'd gone too far along the motorway he did a U-turn across the centre reservation.  Diplomatic immunity, don't you just love it?  

Edited by MAB
  • Like 11

That mosaic throw on Nureyev's grave is stunningly beautiful.  Does anyone know anything about it, such as who the artist is, was it commissioned by anyone, how was it made, who paid for it?  Just amazing!

Thanks for any info you can give me.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Sim said:

That mosaic throw on Nureyev's grave is stunningly beautiful.  Does anyone know anything about it, such as who the artist is, was it commissioned by anyone, how was it made, who paid for it?  Just amazing!

Thanks for any info you can give me.  

The following is detailed on the Rudolf Nureyev Foundation website:-

According to his last wishes, Rudolf Nureyev was buried in the Russian cemetery at Sainte-Geneviève-des-bois, near Paris. The ceremony took place on January 12, 1993. Rudolf Nureyev's memorial was unveiled on Monday 6th May 1996 in the Russian cemetery in Sainte-Geneviève-des-Bois close to Paris. It was designed and built by set designer, Ezio Frigerio who often designed Nureyev's choreographies sets. This mosaic memorial resembles one of the oriental kilim rugs that Nureyev loved so much.

Another blog says that his friends and admirers had the memorial made. 

http://armchairtravelogue.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/magnificent-mosaic-rug-carpet-on-rudolf.html?m=1

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 7

Thank you very much for this Don Q. I remember the tomb cover was like an oriental rug but I didn't realise it was so splendid. the photos capture it beautifully.it must make it easy for anyone looking for his tomb. No mistaking where he is buried! the design reminds me of POB Bayadere which of course was Rudolf's last and possibly most wonderful production which Ezio Frigerio designed.

The only ballet grave I have visited was Petipa's in the Alexander Nevsky cemetery in St Petersburg. My husband and I were on a Baltic cruise and as we didn't have visas we had to take the guided trips and one of them was round 3 cathedrals and the cemetery was next to one of them. The guide gave us a brief tour around some of the better known composers/writers buried there; Tchaikovsky, Mussorgsky and Dosteovsky and then mentioned there are other ballet related people buried there. I asked if my husband and I could go and look and reluctantly he agreed. But it was very rushed as everyone on the coach was waiting and of course all the inscriptions was in Cyrillic! We were just giving up when I saw Marius Petipa written in English! So was able to take a quick picture and dash back to the coach.

• Like 5

Many many  thanks for the pics and info Don Q .....that grave looks well worth visiting and I found it rather moving too..another person who died far too young ....so something else to accomplish when in Paris next ....and in fact St Petersburg too. 

Ive only ever visited Chopins grave in Pere Lachaise in Paris but only to discover that his heart had been removed and is in a church in Warsaw. I had already been to Warsaw to Zelazowa Wola to his birth place but didn't realise that part of him was in the church in Warsaw.

This was way back in the 70's before the Internet age of being able to find out information so quickly! I'd like to see Nijinsky's grave as well .....maybe need a grave visiting holiday! 

• Like 6

So pleased to discover I'm not the only one who enjoys visiting cemeteries, if there is someone's grave you want to visit, find a grave makes it easy:  https://www.findagrave.com/  I used it to visit the resting place of Pavarotti on a trip to Italy, we bought flowers and the local florist took us to the exact location.  I was very moved by the simple family tomb where the great man rests alongside his parents and baby son. 

Novodevichy in Moscow is a beautiful spot where Shostokovich, Prokofiev and Ulanova among others are buried I really recommend a visit.

• Like 7

I did not know that how sad for him. Not uncommon unfortunately with twins.

A friend of mine had twins ( okay going back 40 odd years ago now) but she did not know she was having twins till about a month before the birth because one twin was sort of hidden behind the other and in fact was born VERY small ....about 2lbs I seem to remember....and was in an incubator for ages....The other twin had been taking all the nutrition apparently! 

Against all the odds she did survive and is happily married with her own children now. 

On 1/10/2018 at 14:21, Amelia said:

Bless you, Don Q Fan, it is very touching.

Two remarkable ballerinas are also resting at Sainte Genevieve-des-Bois Cemetery: Olga Preobrajenskaya and Mathilda Kshessinskaya.

Several other remarkable ballet personalities rest there too, Amelia, Vera Trefilova is buried barely 20 yards away from Preobrazhenskaya, also Nina Vyroubova, incomparable as Giselle and the muse of Serge Lifar, Boris Kniaseff, Alexandra Balachova, "première danseuse" of Bolshoi, there are plenty of photos of her on the site of the Moscow State Academy of Choreography,

http://www.old.balletacademy.ru/biblio/foto/264-balashova-aleksandra-mihaylovna.html

If I knew how to upload my photos of the graves of Preobrazhenskaya and Trefilova, I would have done that.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

I should have added that the RER C has 4 lines east and only 2 go to St Genevieve des Bois it's the line C to Dourdan or St Martin - see map of the line C routes:-

https://parisbytrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/map-rer-line_c-2017.pdf

And then you need to know which bus to take and where to go. The cemetery is far from the railway station.

Here is a photo that I took of Harriet Toby's grave in Père Lachaise. I wandered passed it when I was there and I was struck by the headstone. She was an American dancer, who was killed in an aeroplane crash in 1952, near Nice. There is a photo of her in Baron Encore.

harriet-toby1

• Like 6

2 hours ago, assoluta said:

If I knew how to upload my photos of the graves of Preobrazhenskaya and Trefilova, I would have done that.

Here are more links to memorials:

Olga  Preobrajenska (Preobrazhenskaya): https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/8486389
Nina Vyrubova: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/20476519
Vera Trevilova: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/13990775

I went to Paris for a birthday treat, and decided to go to Pere Lachaise.  People thought it was a very odd choice, but everyone loved it when we got there.  Sadly, I must have missed Harriet Toby's grave.  Next time, I will definitely visit the Russian Cemetery.  

• Like 2

Just now, Fonty said:

I went to Paris for a birthday treat, and decided to go to Pere Lachaise.  People thought it was a very odd choice, but everyone loved it when we got there.  Sadly, I must have missed Harriet Toby's grave.  Next time, I will definitely visit the Russian Cemetery.  

Did you visit Marie Taglioni, the greatest ballerina, her pedagogue Jean-Franços Coulon, one of the greatest ballet pedagogues in history, and incomparable as a dancer and as a choreographer, Jules Perrot? They are all buried at Père-Lachaise.

Assoluta, I visited some years ago, and saw so many graves I can't remember whether I did or didn't!  The only ones I can say that I definitely saw were Oscar Wilde, Edith Piaf , Balzac and Chopin.  Such a beautiful place, though.  

4 hours ago, assoluta said:

And then you need to know which bus to take and where to go. The cemetery is far from the railway station.

I mentioned the buses in my original post at the start of the thread - bus 3 to Croix Blanche get off at Piscine, barely a minutes walk to the walled cemetery which you can't miss.

Edited by Don Q Fan
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

Caught sight of Nureyev's imposingly monumental grave by following DonQFans excellent directions.  

I would just like to add two things if I might.  (i) When taking the Number 3 Bus towards Croix Blanche I would suggest going one stop further than Piscine - e.g., to the actual CIMETIERE RUSSE stop itsefl.  When you get off the bus simply enter through the main gates.  The chapel will be on your left.  Walk up the central path and bear to your right as it curves.  Then keep walking straight up.  Look at the graves to your left hand side.  (There are no significant signs or maps here as at other major Parisian cemeteries.).  As DonQFan so kindly suggests - you will first come to the exquisitely streamlined grave of Lifar and then shortly thereafter the vivid colour of Nureyev's kiln carpet will dawn unto your - again left sided - purvey.  (The early morning sun was shining when I approached and it - [I almost said 'he'] - positively glittered.)  (ii) IF you do not speak French it may be best to write out a request in French for the bus driver to alert you to that stop.  You are out in the definite suburbs here and it struck me that few around would speak English.  If you do speak French you can simply ask the driver as you get on as I did.  It was in fact he (in this instance at least) who told me it was best to go the extra stop.  Most kind. 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2