what does what you wear say about you as a Dancer ?

Nicola H

Simply that part of the point of uniforms is to promote group membership and group discipline, which always carries dangers. If clothing is a large part of how we express our social selves then uniforms are an act of submission to authority. That always bears watching.

• Like 1

@Michelle_Richer I’m almost always the only boy in any class, ballet or tap, that I’m in unless some of the kids are in a workshop or whatever. I just don’t get the tights problem. So they’re tights. So what? 

Mind you, the uniform for traditional Japanese martial arts is basically culottes,  so possibiy my idea of normal is broken. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Colman said:

Simply that part of the point of uniforms is to promote group membership and group discipline, which always carries dangers. If clothing is a large part of how we express our social selves then uniforms are an act of submission to authority. That always bears watching.

Ah, I see. Thank you. Personally, I think uniform also has its advantages; in school it gives much less scope for "fashionable" and/or wealthy students to bully others based on clothing choice.  Also, if you consider the aim of a corps de ballet dancer, which is to NOT stand out, you can see why ballet schools enforce uniform and grooming.  Plenty of time for dancers to show their individuality once they are in a company.

Of course some schools take this too far by insisting upon rigid conformity in every aspect of grooming, for example upper school students not being permitted partings, twists or braids in their buns (let alone french twists), or students having to wear full makeup including red lipstick for class.  Now that is bad practice, especially if the motive seems to be a desire for twenty five clones lined up at the barre.  

I think balance is ideal.  My daughter never gave her ballet uniform a second thought during her 5 years as an Associate in London; it was part of the discipline of a classical class. In Contemporary, the girls literally let their hair down and all manner of shorts and vest tops were flung on over their leotards.  Now she wears uniform for Advanced 2 but anything she likes for private lessons.  I must say she never becomes any less of a "thinking dancer" in her uniform.  It makes no difference to her dancing.   :)

• Like 6

Hi Anna C

I see you have picked up the term I used in a previous post “Thinking Dancer”, the context I was using it in, really relates to "I've agreed to wear what the teacher says" and in particular “ with all that goes with that.” from my interpretation of a teachers dictatorial stance having wider implications, rather than complying with the published policy of a particular ballet school.

Similar to your daughter, my private lessons or more appropriately, my one-to-one rep coaching is basically anything I like, as my first session of the week follows a body conditioning class by the same teacher, however if anything special is required to support the rep, then I provide it for the both of us, it is very much a partnership.

For  ballet classes or rehearsals its appropriate practice ballet gear although workshops and intensives I can go somewhat further with a tutu in keeping with the piece being taught.

These days I don’t belong to any ballet schools that have a uniform protocol that applies to me, if it did, I would comply and think nothing of it.

However as a dancer with the Alive Ballet Company, for performances we must comply, but there is a sense fairness through a collective decision on costumes both for performance and cost to each dancer. When a new show is planned, and the ballet piece(s) defined as to what we are dancing, then costumes have to be sorted out, anyone can contribute ideas. Practically I as “Head of Costume” and my Artistic Director get together to look at make or buy alternatives, and the associated costs. When we have finalised a small number of options is presented to our dancers, they choose and a majority decision carries it, price is obviously a major factor as is an unwillingness to do much in the way of sewing at home. Either way it then becomes my job to procure what is required, this also includes props, its just one of the many hats I wear for the Alive Ballet Company. Mostly it is the same costume for everyone, however in our last show with pieces taken from Giselle, the Peasant Girls and Giselle’s friends had one type of costume whilst our two Giselle’s (one for matinee the other for evening show), had a different one.

I think the only thing I have been uncomfortable with, is the idea on not wearing underwear under my costume to remove unwanted lines. I do remember a discussion taking place with some of the girls at a LAB rehearsal once, but I guess it was never implemented or made mandatory.  I like most, wear flesh coloured ballet underwear including a flesh coloured under leotard which really doesn’t show, but in saying that I do remember seeing  a girl at one of the events I attended, where the lines of her underwear was very prominent and didn’t look very nice at all.

• Like 1