Royal Ballet - 2018/19 new season wish list

As we're just beginning a new year I wonder what people will be looking for in the next Royal Ballet new season? As it's only about 3 months or so to the announcement I'm sure Mr O'Hare's plans will be all but finalised but just in case he may have an odd slot he is undecided about my wish list is virtually unchanged since last year when I didn't get anything on it. It is:-

Onegin

Bayadere

Ashton programme to commemorate 30 years since he died eg Ashton mixed or triple bill (preferably containing either or both ) Patineurs and Pigeons (As I've already said these 2 would make a great Christmas 'feel good' double bill to complement Nutcracker)

Sylvia again (I've become a convert!) or Cinderella

Also a better selection for cinema screening (why wasn't Sylvia screened????) and a greater variety of cinema casting if repeats are scheduled. As I keep saying, those who aren't ballet devotees won't know or care who is dancing whereas those of us who are would love to see different dancers filmed.

I'm sure there are many more I can add but these are my main priorities.

• Like 10

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably say the same ballets every year, but without having to think too hard:

La Bayadere (either the full length or Nureyev's Shades act)

Cinderella (at Christmas, perhaps instead of or as well as Nutcracker)

Daphnis and Chloe

Images of Love

Les Biches

Onegin

Raymonda act 3

• Like 6

My wish list is

Onegin

In The Night

Cinderella (Ashton) for Christmas!

Le Sylphide

Apollo

A Month In The Country

Les Patineurs

Seranade

Dances At A Gathering

Daphnis and Chloe

i don’t expect all of them but I’d love it if they did some of them!

• Like 5

Scènes de Ballet, Symphonic Variations, Cinderella, Fille, La Valse, Les Patineurs - well, a lot of Ashton possibilities really, to celebrate the anniversary.

Flight Pattern.

I personally would like no McGregor (unless Woolf Works, but I doubt if that will be repeated again so soon), but I'm aware that won't happen.

Something by Neumeier or Ratmansky, choreographers about whom I know too little.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bridiem said:

I personally would like no McGregor (unless Woolf Works, but I doubt if that will be repeated again so soon), but I'm aware that won't happen.

I'd love another outing for Woolf Works, if only because I'm trying to introduce my boyfriend to the concept of the plotless ballet and I think WW might be a good halfway point! 

• Like 4

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Royal Ballet - 2018/19 new season wish list

I would love to see some of our very special crop of RB talents just now in more Balanchine and certainly more Robbins.  (In G Major anyone?? And with these men why not Fancy Free???  Anyone not having seen the latter can taste it here.  If that were to be placed in the Autumn of the 2018/19 season it could still honour BOTH the Bernstein and Robbins anniversaries.)  I would especially love for them to revive Bard Balanchine's Liebeslieder Walzer because there would I know be such vivid couplings available.  It would I sense be especially haunting just now.  (I realise that many here will never have ever seen this work so I will insert but a small clip with only a sliver from the second movement for your greater edification/enjoyment:  https://www.nytimes.com/video/arts/dance/100000003972748/excerpt-liebeslieder-walzer.html

I too would love to see Flight Pattern again ... and fully expect that it will be revived.  Again I would love to see at least one of the major Peck works that now populate world stages but have yet to be seen here.  (Perhaps RODEO or Everywhere we Go which was such a hit in Paris?)  They are always such wonderful company pieces and always rooted in ballet.  I also would love to see more Ashton, just pieces more substantial than M&A please.  (Ashton was I think wise to ask that it not be performed again.  He was certainly right in my estimation to want to promote his much more substantial canon.)  I, myself, am not troubled - in any respect as it happens - by that stunning sunburst known as La Fille Mal Gardee.  For me it is always a heartwarming gift in terms its balletic ebullience and down home heart.  I agree with the suggestion of having an Ashton Festival much akin to the co-operative MacMillan one.  His canon is just so rich ... and all five companies would I should think hugely benefit from such an undertaking.

I've only now come back from having seen The Nutcracker again.  I would like to put a word in for the gleeful bundle of dance mirth that is James Hay.  He always gives 100% in terms of his dramatic arc and his feet (among the best in the Company) are as fleet as his instinct.  For me his Florimund in SB was one of - if not THE - defining RB performance highlight in 2017 just past – perhaps because I certainly didn’t expect the largess of his keen majesty.  It was among the best performances of this role I have EVER seen ANYWHERE.  I would so love to see him have a stab at Albrecht or certainly Seigfried.  I think both he and we deserve it somehow.  Certainly I want to thank him for the vigorous thrill I ALWAYS feel after watching him perform - even when I am not a huge fan of the entirety of the dance piece being rendered.  The zealous detail of his white rabbit jumps to mind ... and who could forget that goat in Ashton's bountiful Sylvia or his very Elite Syncopation.  I am very much looking forward to watching the progress of the magnificent Corrales at the RB no question – but so hope that his entry does not in any way interfere with the vivid tracks already established by, say, Hay and Sambe.  We have an embarrassment of riches to look forward to no question:  No question whatsoever.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 10

Onegin essential, and I would also like Cranko's Brandenburgs. We have such a marvellous company now, this would be a real delight. Firebird, Les Biches, Les Noces, Dances at a Gathering, Cinderella, Daphnis - any would be welcome. Bit soon for another run of Mayerling but I wouldn't complain if it was included. I personally would like to see Flight Path as .I missed it because of illness. If the Moderators do not object it might be fun to have a thread on ' works that I never want to see again', headed, in my case, by Multiverse. I'm rarely bored by ballet but this was, for me, awful.

• Like 2

Acosta's Don Quixote please!

Onegin

Les Patineurs

In the Night

The Concert

Month In the Country

Afternoon of a Faun

In the Middle Somewhat Elevated

Vertiginous Thrill of Exactitude

Neumeier's 

La Dame aux Camellias

• Like 3

Hmmm...

I think Cinderella is definitely scheduled for next season in newly designed production - I’m sure I read it in DT...

All Ashton one-acts gratefully received...would like to see the greats (Symphonic/Scènes) but also Jazz Calendar and Illuminations. Sylvia - yes please!

Mayerling  - yes...and My Brother, My Sisters and Requiem

Pite, Peck and Ratmansky.

Neumeier ain’t ever going to happen with RB - but I think ENB should do Dame aux C.

Woolf Works would be great, as would be the one with Julian Opie designs. And “Live Fire Exercise” (???!!!)

...and any of Ballets Russes rep.

...Balanchine and Robbins - yes!

That’ll do me...

• Like 1

Well, I'm not going to dust off my wishlist again because I'm sure KOH will pretty much ignore it as usual, but just to say that quite a few of the works on it have been mentioned above.

Actually, I'd be pretty happy with a repeat of the first 6 months of last year, since I had to miss most of it :(

10 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

A number of posts on this thread have been hidden whilst they are considered by the moderators.

I haven't seen these posts but I do hope that 'inside information' about the RB's 2018/19 season isn't being revealed ahead of an official announcement.

• Like 8

I wish for something that hasn't been done in years and years that i've never heard of. And for the cinema relays, some ballets we haven't seen in recent years. I mean come on, Alice in Wonderland and Winters tale? You can get that on dvd with practically the same cast.

• Like 3

I'd like to see Frankenstein given a second run, particularly if Liam Scarlett has an opportunity for some reworking.  I recognise this is unlikely to gain much support as I do appreciate that many people might put Frankenstein on their list of ballets not to be performed - it's good that the Forum doesn't show 'dislikes' as well as 'likes'!

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Vanartus said:

Just out of interest...I’d love to hear any advance info before official announcement! Is it really such bad form to pass on some news about next year’s schedule? 

Yes it is.  The new season information is subject to an embargo and this forum is "press" so far as the ROH Is concerned.  Any leakage of details of the new season in advance of the lifting of the embargo will be deleted (and there may be consequences for repeat offenders).

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, bangorballetboy said:

Yes it is.  The new season information is subject to an embargo and this forum is "press" so far as the ROH Is concerned.  Any leakage of details of the new season in advance of the lifting of the embargo will be deleted (and there may be consequences for repeat offenders).

And why the urge to know? Why the need to share 'insider knowledge' ? Isn't it fun to put forward our 'wish lists' and  indulge in some harmless speculation for a while? 

More generally, since there seems to have been a 'rash' of 'offences' lately, I was rather hoping that we could exercise our Moderators rather less in 2018.

• Like 3

I understand that press releases are embargoed and that "the Press" , including this Forum must respect that. I suppose the wider question is why information regarding future seasons has to be embargoed so strictly, why information regarding future plans has to be managed so absolutely with organizations hugging information to their chests like Gollum with his precious. Teasing us with statements like "there will be a MacMillan piece that's quite long and hasn't been done for some time" is just power play!!! 

A great deal of information regarding future seasons at the Royal Opera is in the public domain - unavoidably so because singers' schedules are committed years ahead -  but the World continues to spin unchecked and the annual formal announcements are still respected. Would it be so damaging if the people at the heads of our Arts organisations were prepared to be more forthcoming regarding their future plans, and if more information regarding future plans were in the public domain?

Edited by David
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, capybara said:

And why the urge to know? Why the need to share 'insider knowledge' ? Isn't it fun to put forward our 'wish lists' and  indulge in some harmless speculation for a while? 

More generally, since there seems to have been a 'rash' of 'offences' lately, I was rather hoping that we could exercise our Moderators rather less in 2018.

“Why the urge to know?”....because I’d rather know sooner than later, make plans, look forward!

• Like 2