Bluebutterfly

According to the RAD illness duringthe exam may mean a candidate is eligible for special consideration as long as they complete the exam. This could add up to 5 marks if appropriate or they could be offered a free re-take.  (Although elsewhere it says 50% credit)

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 1

I didn't faint in my exam last year but I did fall down and I very severely sprained/re-dislocated my ankle. I was about 60% of the way through the exam when it happened (the 'turns' exercise in Grade 5), I crashed into the piano and landed on my face directly in front of the examiner... The first thing I said was 'I want to keep going!' and the examiner said she wasn't sure that was a good idea haha. She asked if I was sure, I said absolutely, I couldn't think about anything other than finishing the exam I'd worked so hard for. At the end of every exercise she asked if I was okay, if I'd like to sit down, or if I'd like to finish the exam. I completed the rest of the exam, trying not to throw up or pass out from shock. According to the girls I was in the exam with I looked absolutely ghastly but I managed not to cry until I was out of the room when I completely broke down thinking I'd failed. I actually managed to scrape a pity distinction though! 

If it's a true faint, it's unlikely to last more than a couple of seconds before the person regains consciousness. Depending on the examiner, it's likely they'd be allowed to finish the exam if that's what they wanted or they'd be allowed to leave if that's what they wanted. I imagine if they were unconscious for longer they may be removed from the room and not be given the opportunity to continue the exam in that sitting. I don't think they'd receive any marks for sections of the exam not completed but I'm not 100% sure about special consideration (I didn't receive any). I'll defer to Pictures on that one!

Edited by Viv
  • Like 1

Hello Bluebutterfly and welcome to the Forum.

I don't know what would happen in the context of a dance exam but if I saw someone had fainted I would want to know they were well enough to continue.  If, for example, you had hit your head in falling over I personally would not allow you to continue but would want to seek medical advice.

I was playing the music for tap exams last month and one of the students went very grey and said she felt faint. She wanted to continue so the examiner encouraged her to sit down and sip water between exercises. I don't think examiners can force students to stop the exam if they want to continue.