Iain Mackay to retire

BRB have just announced that Iain will retire from the company in January.  He will be sorely missed, both on stage and off.

He is to take over the Yorkshire Summer Schools and I,  for one,  wish him very possible success.

Edited by Two Pigeons
Spelling
  • Like 11

That's very sad, although perhaps not surprising, as he only seems to have been performing character roles recently.  I remember the first time I ever noticed him, back in 2001, I think it must have been, dancing in the male pas de quatre, I think, in BRB's Swan Lake.  I thought then he would go a long way.

All the best to him for the future.

• Like 5

His performance a few years ago in Far From The Madding crowd was breathtaking, and one of the performances that sealed my love for ballet. He was brilliant in everything I saw him in, from his wonderful Siegfried to dancing contemporary abstract choreography. What a dancer; he'll be missed. 

• Like 8

I think the writing was on the wall this season when Jenna Roberts has been increasingly paired with Tyrone Singleton.  

I agree that his performances had been scaled down but I think he is one of those artists where his influence off stage was as great as on.  

I am going to see Nutcracker next Tuesday and he is scheduled to appear as Drosselmeyer so I will cherish my last view of him.  

• Like 1

And the official press release:

Birmingham Royal Ballet principal dancer Iain Mackay to leave company after 18 years

Iain Mackay has been appointed Artistic Director of Yorkshire Ballet Summer School and gives his final performance with Birmingham Royal Ballet in January 2018

After an incredible 18 year career with Birmingham Royal Ballet, and 14 years as a principal, Iain Mackay will give his final performance with the Company in January 2018 following which he will take up a new post as Artistic Director of the Yorkshire Ballet Summer School.

One of Birmingham Royal Ballet’s most valued and versatile dancers, Iain’s ability to take on everything from classical princes to intense dramatic roles has seen him become a firm favourite with audiences at Birmingham Hippodrome and at the Company’s touring venues across the UK.

Iain created the role of the Prince in David Bintley’s Cinderella which premiered in 2010 and was broadcast on BBC Two to millions of viewers on Christmas Day that same year. He is also known for his outstanding performances as Romeo in Romeo and Juliet, the Third Seminarian in Carmina Burana and most recently for creating Prospero in David Bintley’s 2016 production of The Tempest.

Speaking of his time with Birmingham Royal Ballet, Iain Mackay commented: “When David Bintley offered me a contract back in 1999, I had no idea just how fantastic the journey I was about to begin would turn out to be. To say I have loved being part of this wonderful company for the best part of 19 years would be an understatement. I am immensely proud of my achievements, none of which would have been possible without the support of so very many people.

I’m honoured to be taking on the role of Artistic Director of the Yorkshire Ballet Summer School, an internationally renowned course that was instrumental in my development as a young dancer and in fact where I met many of my BRB colleagues for the first time. I feel privileged to be able to use the wealth of knowledge, passion and energy that I have for dance to help nurture future generations of dancers. I hope to create the same opportunities for them that were available to me, without which I may not have had the wonderful career at Birmingham Royal Ballet I feel so fortunate to be able to say goodbye to.”

David Bintley, Director of Birmingham Royal Ballet, commented: "
Over the years Iain has proved himself to be one of the company’s very greatest dancers not only for his formidable talents as an artist, but also because of his loyalty, dedication and integrity. His complete application towards whatever task or role he was assigned has always been exemplary and whenever faced with set backs or injury his work rate has been second to none. Generous to his fellow artists in time, advice and praise he is, quite simply '..the right stuff’, and all of these qualities I know will stand him in great stead for his new role as Artistic Director of the Yorkshire Ballet Summer School."

Iain Mackay’s final performances with Birmingham Royal Ballet will be as part of the Evening of Music and Dance at Symphony Hall, Birmingham on Friday 19 January and the Royal & Derngate, Northampton on Saturday 20 January. He will be performing the world premiere of a pas de deux from Spartacus choreographed by Birmingham Royal Ballet Director David Bintley, alongside fellow principal dancer Jenna Roberts. Full details of the Evening of Music & Dance programme will be announced in early December 2017.  

LISTINGS DETAILS:
An Evening of Music and Dance

Symphony Hall, Birmingham
Tickets – 0121 780333; thsh.co.uk
Friday 19 January, 7:30pm

Royal & Derngate, Northampton
Tickets – 01604 624811; royalandderngate.co.uk
Saturday 20 January, 7:3opm

NOTES TO EDITORS:

Birmingham Royal Ballet 
Based at Birmingham Hippodrome since 1990, Birmingham Royal Ballet is the United Kingdom’s leading classical ballet touring company performing a range of traditional, classical and heritage ballets as well as ground-breaking new works with the aim of encouraging choreographers of the future.

The company’s Director is the award-winning David Bintley, CBE, Chief Executive is Jan Teo and Music Director is Koen Kessels. Birmingham Royal Ballet performs at Birmingham Hippodrome for approximately ten weeks of the year and the remainder of the year tours throughout the United Kingdom and overseas.   

The Royal Ballet Sinfonia is Britain's busiest ballet orchestra, playing for Birmingham Royal Ballet's wide-ranging programme in the UK and abroad. The Sinfonia also plays frequently for The Royal Ballet and many of the world's other leading ballet companies, including regular performances with; The Royal Ballet, Paris Opéra Ballet, New York City Ballet, Australian Ballet, Les Grands Ballets Canadiens, the Kirov, Norwegian Ballet, Atlanta Ballet, San Francisco Ballet and La Scala Ballet.
  • Like 3

Iain is one of those dancers whose wonderfulness crept up on me unawares!

It has been a joy to watch his career developing from promising newbie to the pinnacle of Birmingham Royal Ballet.  He spent a year in Spain a few years ago and that year with another company allowed his artistry to expand even more and he came back an even more compelling artist than when he left.

I loved him in his created role of Christian in Cyrano and also his portrayal of the eponymous role.  He was just awesome as Edward ll too.  His Troy in Madding Crowd was unmissable.

He has been such a generous dancer over the years.  One of my most favourite memories is of a scratch cast in Romeo and Juliet at The Lowry.  Iain performed the title role with Carole-Ann Millar as his Juliet.  It is one of the most heartfelt and affecting performances of that production I have ever seen.

I shall look forward to seeing his performance at Symphony Hall in January and shall miss him greatly both on and off stage.  Very, very best wishes to Iain for the future.

• Like 11

I would like to add the fact that Iain has always been a great ambassador for the company and very generous with his time. His project at the QE. Hospital earlier this year was very typical. He was also very approachable and would always stop if one bumped into him in the theatre or on the street and have a chat. Especially if one asked about his beloved family !

I had been hoping that he might join the staff of BRB but I am sure that he will be perfect in his new role and,like everyone else,I wish him every success and happiness.

• Like 5

Sorry to say that I am not aware of him as a dancer, but just a note to say how lovely and warm the words were in the press release. It's strangely rare to see such wonderful language to describe a dancer's career from the company itself, rather than a lot of weird, 'what happened/what do they mean'

lots of 'warm and fuzzy feelings' for a cold winter night. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jan McNulty said:

Iain is one of those dancers whose wonderfulness crept up on me unawares!

It has been a joy to watch his career developing from promising newbie to the pinnacle of Birmingham Royal Ballet.  He spent a year in Spain a few years ago and that year with another company allowed his artistry to expand even more and he came back an even more compelling artist than when he left.

I loved him in his created role of Christian in Cyrano and also his portrayal of the eponymous role.  He was just awesome as Edward ll too.  His Troy in Madding Crowd was unmissable.

He has been such a generous dancer over the years.  One of my most favourite memories is of a scratch cast in Romeo and Juliet at The Lowry.  Iain performed the title role with Carole-Ann Millar as his Juliet.  It is one of the most heartfelt and affecting performances of that production I have ever seen.

I shall look forward to seeing his performance at Symphony Hall in January and shall miss him greatly both on and off stage.  Very, very best wishes to Iain for the future.

Absolutely agree about his Madding Crowd Troy. He was thrilling in that role. 

• Like 4

• 1 month later...