Is there a DVD of Cranko's "Onegin" anywhere?

Absolutely, Sim  - and yes, Bruce - that performance of Reilly and Cojocaru in London was certainly stunning  - it was one of those 'I was there' nights. I can still remember the Mirror Pas de Deux - so emotional and 'dangerous' too.  I like Vogel as Lensky - but that's just me ...... for me Reilly is a superb Onegin who really inhabits the role.He brings an edge to it that I really like.

Edited by J_New
  • Like 2

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But Reilly has had his turn (many, many times in at least 4 locations!), so have Vogel and, I think, Hallberg. Of course, they are artists one would like to see, but..................!!!

It's interesting, when one thinks about it, that the role of Onegin demands strong acting and partnering, with that of Lensky carrying much of the dancing.

[Apologies for continuing to divert this thread.]

It's always seemed to.me that Onegin needs to be pLayed by an older man, either in the opera,or the ballet. Not sure if that was the intention in Pushkin's poem - it's many years since I read it. Obviously in the opera the baritone voice sounds older than Lensky and the music has a darker tone. Richard Cragun of course was the ultimate Onegin. But it does seem to me to demand a more mature dancer.

• Like 1

I haven't read the Pushkin, but know the opera well, and they are all, theoretically, meant to be really young! Onegin arrives back after his seven years away, and says how bored and world-weary he is at the grand old age of 26.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RuthE said:

I haven't read the Pushkin, but know the opera well, and they are all, theoretically, meant to be really young! Onegin arrives back after his seven years away, and says how bored and world-weary he is at the grand old age of 26.

Thanks for this - I thought I was wrong!  Must have thought Onegin was older as I've seen older singers in the role, and a dancer like Cragun looked, shall we say, more mature. Could give a very different slant to the story to see Onegin and Lensky played by two young dancers.

The opera was premiered by youngsters - students of the Moscow Conservatory. I’ve seen two London productions with very young casts (at British Youth Opera and the RAM), both of which were memorably good and the latter excellent.

• Like 3

I suppose the expectation of seeing an older Onegin is that the role has been seen as a vehicle for a star baritone, who would generally be in his late 30s or 40s at least.

The story never really made sense to me until I saw the opera cast with (crucially) a young Onegin; since then it has become perhaps my favourite opera.

I’m not generally in favour of “director’s casting” in opera, but I make an exception for Eugene Onegin.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2019 at 11:15, Bruce Wall said:

Oh, Angela - I wish I'd known you were there it would have been lovely to meet.

I agree with what you say entirely.  Osipova's Act II solo was indeed ravishing and I liked her too in the Gemin PDD where she was I thought gloriously partnered by Catazaro - one of the NYCB disgraced.  That said the Hallberg/Osipova PDDs had too much - as you suggest - of a 'dropped in' feel.  I so hope IF the RB does do Oneign next season - only a few more weeks until we find out - I very much hope that Osipova is partnered with an established RB principal.  Last time it was with Matthew Golding who I thought was a fine Oneign and together they were very much a fabric of the whole aside the revelation that was the Naghdi/Ball combination as Olga/Lensky.  After seeing the BSB production I very much hope that that the RB might NOT witness a 'fly in' visit by Mr. Hallberg.  IF they MUST have a guest - and surely - except in the case of extreme injury as has been the case in the past - that should be ENTIRELY unnecessary - I would love to see the Canadian principal with the Stuttgart Ballet Jason Reilly return.  He was - if memory serves - supreme in the role aside the stunning Cojocaru.  

...just caught up with this. I wasn’t a huge fan of Golding but I did surprisingly like him in everything he did, even if he lacked a darker side. The only exception was his Onegin which shocked  me with its depth. There was an edge to it, and it worked so well Osipova. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
1 hour ago, suel50 said:

Thanks for the link. Was very pleased to see this after the wonderful Mayerling.  Final pdd sensational and good to see Jason Reilly, whom I saw as Onegin when he partnered Alina in 2013, take on the role of the Prince.  More please from Stuttgart !

Thought that Reilly was as good a Gremin as he was an Oneign - and he was IMHO a very fine one indeed.  Doesn't hurt that in that last act in either role he looks for all the world like a certain Clark Gable :) 

Edited by Bruce Wall

And in that same tradition, I thought Reilly was a really great Onegin in past performances - especially in London when he performed with Cojocaru. That was a great night! 

Edited by J_New
  • Like 3

Yes, I recall it as being an outstanding performance and seem to remember Bennet Gartside, who was the prince, tweeting to the effect that he felt he had died and gone to heaven that evening.

• Like 1

This was one of the best performances of this ballet I've seen. Wonderful acting from all, particularly Vogel and Amatriain: measured, nuanced and never melodramatic. Superb partnering in those challenging pdd, with nothing fluffed the final pdd was OUTSTANDING. Thank you Stuttgart for another superb lockdown offering. 

• Like 6