Tamara Rojo to be guest editor of Radio 4's Today

• 1 month later...

BBC Radio 4 has announced the usual eclectic mix of Guest Editors for the Today programme between Christmas and New Year, one of them being Tamara Rojo.  She will be in Royal company, it seems, as Prince Harry is doing another day.  Oh, and a robot is to do an interview spot .......

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc-s-today-handed-over-to-automaton-john-humphrys-mishal-husain-nick-robinson-sarah-montague-and-justin-webb-gb275zmcw?shareToken=692e866d2fc49187248a39f33f9641c4

• 1 month later...

Just bumping this as Ms Rojo is Guest Editor for 'Today' tomorrow, 26 December, from 6am to 9am on BBC Radio 4.   If I recall rightly from past years, she will be interviewed by one of the regular presenters at the end of the programme.  (Prince Harry is doing 27 December.)

• Like 2

For those unable to listen to this, the topics I heard which Tamara Rojo had chosen were:

• the Children's Orchestra in Glasgow (along the lines of El Sistema in Venezuela)
  • the dancers' career development charity and its help for dancers in transitioning with their careers
  • the ENB's Nutcracker (with Jennie Harrington, James Streeter and Gavin Sutherland)
  • ethnic minority participation in ballet, focusing on dancer Sarah Kundi, with input from her parents and with Isaac hernandez talking about opportunities in Mexico.

Tamara herself interviewed George Osborne (at length), with some references to arts funding and people's attitude to the arts and, at the end of the programme, she was interviewed on similar subjects, although the conversation turned to the political situation in Venezuela.

No doubt someone will say if I missed anything - after all, it was very early in the morning!

It was good to hear items related to dance. However, I felt that Tamara was not well-served by Today's hosts (Nick Robinson and Justin Webb) as they didn't seem to have enough knowledge to ask the kind of questions which would have opened up each subject more fully. Early on in the proceedings, Nick Robinson referred to the English Royal Ballet. Whoops!

Edited by capybara
  • Like 3

Thank you  Capybara.  I'd just add a couple of points.  It was very interesting to hear Tamara Rojo saying how difficult she found interviewing George Osborne and I think she referred more generally to the guest editor role being pretty hard work.  In defence of Nick Robinson, he did apologise for his slip and he has attended at least one Royal Ballet performance - I noticed him in the audience for Mayerling.

• Like 2